PDA

View Full Version : My "new" bandsaw

Don Williams56
12-22-2008, 5:05 PM
I want to share my bandsaw story. I bought a 14" Powermatic last year and installed the 6" riser. I have always been disappointed with this saw. It won't cut a straight line and burns wood very badly. I tried a new Olsen blade and also Timberwolf. No improvement with either one.

I've been trying to gather enough nerve to talk to the LOML about buying a better saw.

Well I read on this forum about the Lennox carbide tipped blades, so I bought one for $140. The other blades were about $30.
WOW! What a difference a great blade makes. Now the saw cuts straight with _no_ burning. It is like having a brand new saw. :) It has never worked this well!

Thanks,
Don

Dewey Torres
12-22-2008, 5:08 PM
Halfway though your post as I read it I thought to offer blade advise as I own that saw PWBS-14 and it cuts like a dream. I have never burnt anything on it. Congrats on your find. I know those blades are not cheap but man do they ever cut great.

Casey Gooding
12-22-2008, 6:13 PM
Try a Woodslicer blade from Highland Woodworking. Cuts amazingly well and costs about $30. It's just about the only blade I use.

Peter Quinn
12-22-2008, 7:14 PM
I run timber wolf blades on my Pm 14" BS, it cuts straight as an arrow, does not burn, stall, or otherwise choke it self out. I have cut 8" veneer with, curves, resaw, never a problem for its size. Just the other day I was ripping sapele 4X5's into 6/4 material with an older blade and I was surprised how well it was cutting. How many TPI were you using? I have even had good luck with $10 olsen blades in the past. Is it possible you were using blades with too high a TPI? Most of the carbide tipped blades seem to have low TIP and big gullets. Using a high TPI blade to resaw is like trying to rip with an 80th plywood blade on a TS, bad plan.

I'd love to get a tri master for resaw and veneer and may yet. Glad to hear you're having a good experience with it but confused as to the problems with the other blades?

Myk Rian
12-22-2008, 8:00 PM
I'm wondering if the riser block and wheels are setup straight.

Don Williams56
12-22-2008, 8:49 PM
I did check to see if the riser block and wheels were straight. I'll check the TPI on those blades.