PDA

View Full Version : Replacement motor for 46-450

Dan Cobian
12-22-2008, 4:52 PM
Returning for more help (thanks for your patience). I'll be picking up a 46-450 lathe tomorrow 1 HP / 3-phase / 220v. I need to either get a VFD or replace the motor with a 110v motor. Assuming I can make a 56 frame work (dimensions appear to be "close enough"). Can anyone tell me what they think of what I've found so far:

Grizzly: H5381 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5381)56 Frame, 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 1725 RPM TEFC 110V/220V: $219.95

Automation Direct: MTR-1P5-1AB18 (http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/AC_Motors/IronHorse_(TM)_General_Purpose_Motors/Single_Phase_Rolled_Steel_56C_Motors_-a-_Accessories_(0.33_-_2HP)/MTR-1P5-1AB18) Nema 56C Frame, 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 1800 RPM TEFC 110 / 220: $136

Dennis Ford
12-22-2008, 9:33 PM
The one from Automation Direct looks like a better deal to me. Either one should last a long time.

David Christopher
12-22-2008, 9:37 PM
Dan, dont know much about the automation but I got a grizzly 5 HP to go on my table saw about 5 years ago and it is still going

Bob Vallaster
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Dan,
I owned the same lathe at one time. Bought it at a school auction and had to replace a missing motor.
The 56 frame ought to work---it did one mine.
A dual-voltage motor is always a good thing.
From your earlier post, I gather you want to run it on 110v. 1 1/2 hp strikes me as the Tim Taylor choice, but it will draw 13-15 amps on 110v. Unless you have a 20 amp circuit, it's dicey whether you can simultaneously power lathe, workstation lighting, power sander and the jukebox of your choice without tripping the breaker.
1 hp ought to make it run just fine.

BobV

Bob Bergstrom
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Making an adapter for the 56 frame isn't too hard. The one I sent a pic of has one. I think I just used a steel plate with some extra holes? I noticed the the second motor in your post has a duel capacitor. One is a start capacitor and the other is a run capacitor. I believe that is how the second motor develops its 1 1/2 hp. I believe it gets a boost from the capacitor when it needs extra power. The draw back is it is another thing to go wrong. I notice they sell them just below the description. i wonder if the go out that often. The Grizzly may be better in a long run.

Dan Cobian
12-23-2008, 6:20 AM
Making an adapter for the 56 frame isn't too hard. The one I sent a pic of has one. I think I just used a steel plate with some extra holes? I noticed the the second motor in your post has a duel capacitor. One is a start capacitor and the other is a run capacitor. I believe that is how the second motor develops its 1 1/2 hp. I believe it gets a boost from the capacitor when it needs extra power. The draw back is it is another thing to go wrong. I notice they sell them just below the description. i wonder if the go out that often. The Grizzly may be better in a long run.

Thanks all for the guidance. On my way to pick up the lathe this morning. I'll know more once I have the lathe in-hand. I forgot to mention that I'm looking at the following adapter to make a 56 frame work. The height (thinckness of the frame should make the shaft the same height as the 66Y frame (at least on paper it looks that way): Base (http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/AC_Motors/STABLE_(TM)_Motor_Bases_(Compatible_w-z-all_NEMA_motors)/MTA-BASE-W56)

robert hainstock
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Having used several lathes over the years, (first turning 1954) And having just aquired my first VS machine, I urge you to go with the VFD. I ahve seen several demos with VFD machines and they are beautigul and fun to work with. :eek::):)
Bob