PDA

View Full Version : placement of laser question..

Nadia Zois
12-22-2008, 4:23 PM
i sound so silly asking this question because to me it seems obvious it is a horrible place to put the laser but..

okay my husband and i live in a basement of someones house [we are broke...........] we just got a laser to try to start a business to get some money going.

in the basement we did not have many options on where to place the laser because the guy could only put the exhaust basically in one place... right next to our BED.

my husband has man pride issues [heh..] and he says it is perfectly fine there and i am being paranoid. but am i really?

is having the laser right next to our bed safe? [about 3 feet away from the bed..]

Bob Keyes
12-22-2008, 5:01 PM
Don't see a problem. I practically sleep with mine sometimes:eek:.

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2008, 5:09 PM
That could be a very convenient location if you get busy and have to work all night!:eek:

Should be no problem at all.

Ray Uebner
12-22-2008, 5:26 PM
Sound good to me. I spend so much time here with mine I was thinking of moving the bed next to it so I would not have so far to go to work. I see no problem with it there. I do know my wife might not like it but when the money rolls in I am sure she would not mind at all. I have to put up with her pager going off so guess it is a trade off.

Zac Altman
12-22-2008, 7:14 PM
I think it is fine. The only problems I can think of are:
1. Sound - if its on while you are trying to sleep (when your husband decides he wants to pull a late/all-nighter)
2. Smell?? I like the smell of wood and some other materials, but if you dont like the smell then it might be a problem.

I think it would be fine, and it would be great being able to rest while it is engraving.

Darren Null
12-22-2008, 7:15 PM
I'm running my laser from the bedroom myself and my wife share. It's not ideal, frankly, as burny smells linger and sometimes make the bedroom uninhabitable until the smells die. And sometimes the bedroom is freezing cold because you *HAVE* to leave the window open; whatever it's doing outside.

Steer clear of acrylic and rubber towards the end of the day and it's doable. Not ideal, by any means, and there may well be long-term effects. But it's doable.

Marc Myer
12-23-2008, 12:47 PM
And you could look up the description of a great homespun odor reducer on this forum. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be a good Christmas break project!

Phil Garcia
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I think I spend more time with my laser than in my bed and I sit about 2 ft. away from the laser while I am working. Normally putting in 10 to 14 hour days and I don't think I have any ill effects but then again some may not agreed with me about that one. I would say as long as the extractor is outside you should be fine just as everyone else has said.
Your lucky to have your husband so close while he is working... oh... you might have to turn up the TV a little bit too.:D