PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Cleaning

Jason Christenson
12-22-2008, 1:59 PM
I was just wondering if there is a good way to clean a chuck without taking it all apart. Of heard of people soaking them in...something. I can't remember what.

Any suggestions?

Jason

Jim Becker
12-22-2008, 2:16 PM
I just hit mine with compressed air.

Chris Stolicky
12-22-2008, 3:09 PM
I just hit mine with compressed air.

Same here.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2008, 3:13 PM
Jason - I agree with Jim, use compressed air. Sometimes my Talon chuck gets a little gunky after doing a bunch of green rough outs, so I take it totally apart and wipe it down with mineral spirits. After its cleaned and dried, I use a graphite dry lube (powder) and lube the contact areas before putting everything back together. Makes a huge difference in how smooth the chuck operates!

robert hainstock
12-22-2008, 3:58 PM
I sometimes ise "Gun Scrubber" an aerosol solvent spray when mine get gunky, otherwise the air route. :)
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
12-22-2008, 8:41 PM
I have my Oneway Stronghold the longest, 10 years+ and it has never been apart yet, and I have 3 Oneway Talons also, same thing, never been apart.
I dry lubed the Stronghold ones after removing the jaw slides.
However you could use diesel fuel for soaking and cleaning, as it is lubricating as well as a fuel, (the lubrication is added for the high pressure pumps and injectors in diesel engines)

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Compressed air.

Jeff Nicol
12-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I use brake cleaner sometimes if I am turning a lot of wet wood, but after some pitchy wet pine if I forget to give it a shot of air. Also if you do any finishing on the lathe some of the finish most always gets on the chuck and other things. Just make sure to get it cleaned off before it get hardened all the way. Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or what ever takes off whichever finish you use. I use a lot of thinned out shellac on spalted wood and for an all around sealer so it gets on the little nova I use a lot for miniatures and small turnings. Once it is dry a small wire brush takes most of it off.

Daily maintainence is the key to sucess!

Jeff