PDA

View Full Version : Compressor question

Greg Hines, MD
12-22-2008, 1:21 PM
I bought a 17gal CH compressor a few months ago. After using it yesterday (and I had to unplug it to move it around then too) it makes a sickly noise, but does not run. Has it gotten too cold? It was out in the driveway yesterday, and the temperature was in the upper 30s-lower 40s, but that doesn't seem to be that cold to me. Any suggestions?

Doc

Tom Veatch
12-22-2008, 1:37 PM
I have a different brand but similiar sized, portable compressor that occassionly presents the same reluctance to run after cold soaking at temperatures in the range you mentioned. I've always attributed it to a motor of marginal power for the task and cold-thickened oil in the crankcase.

I'm probably not doing the compressor any good but I've found that if I turn it off when it first stalls then immediately turn it back on and repeat that cycle a couple of times, it will eventually turn over and continue running.

Joe Jensen
12-22-2008, 3:52 PM
All the compressors I know of have a release valve that takes the pressure off the pump so it can start easier. Maybe the cold caused this valve to stick?

Jim Kountz
12-22-2008, 4:45 PM
Ive had a couple of them do this and warming them up fixed em right up.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-22-2008, 6:44 PM
We have three Dewalt Emglo compressors on the farm, and they are all EXTREEMELY sensative to cold. I used one last night at about 45 degrees, and it would barely start. I think cold may tighten up the tolerances in the compressor or something, as well as thicken the oil.

chris yount
12-22-2008, 6:56 PM
I have a newer ch compressor that uses 5-30 mobil one synthetic according to manual there will be starting problems if regular compressor oil is used at cold temps.You might want to look at your specs to see.