PDA

View Full Version : Winery Ideas?

Gregg Vaughn
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I recently sold a local winery a few hundred wood tags (cut out of 3/32" maple) with their logo rastered on them. The 1 1/2" oval tags have a hole for a jute string to go through and hang around the necks of the bottles. They use these tags for their "select" bottles of wine.

I have been trying to come up with additional ideas for sales to this winery. Anybody have any good ideas to share?

Angus Hines
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Small barrels from kentuckybarrel.com maybe?

Eric DeSilva
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Don't know whether you can do this or not, but there are these mylar disks called DropStops, about 2" in diameter. You roll them loosely, insert into an opened bottle of wine, they open against the neck on the inside, and create a sharp edge that prevents drips. Maybe you could logo them or something...

Pete Simmons
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I make 1 and 2 botle engraved wine boxes.

Pic is 2 simple boxes but on most I also engrave the sides.

The 2 bottle box sides need to be engraved pror to assembly as the complete box will not fit sideways in the laser.

Kenneth Hertzog
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
sent you a PM

ken

Dan Hintz
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Kenneth,

If you're sharing ideas, I'd be happy to hear what you have... one of my clients is a winery, and I wouldn't mind being able to offer them a few more choices :)

Rodne Gold
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Lasered Waiter friends , lasered and pex wine cork stoppers (you can make your own), various coaters
, custom labels and add on stickers to the bottle (rowmark laserlight stuff)

A cylindrical wine Box using veneer (you cut circular ends and glue the veneer on em , making a cylinder , leave about 1/3rd of the diameter unglued to make a flap amd bind with a thong , you can laser the winerys name on the veneer tube

A flat pack pex wine rack , many designs you can merely slot together
A wine bottle holder/pourer (you need to bend the laser cut pex to do this) , a disc/shape with a hole that rests over the neck of the wine bottle to hold glasses hanging upside down.
Look at making carboard boxes for gift packs - cut score bend and glue
Wine bottle charms - a very good line is to laser stock tags like congraulations , happy happy , birthday etc - call it "message on a bottle"

Promo give aways for the winery - all manner of items here

There is also opprtunity to do signage for their tasting rooms , in store point of sale items for their distributors , Industrial engraving and marking of the mostly stainless steel items they use in the winery , machine info plates , mimic boards(boards with the process on them) and so forth
Marketing to the wine and liquor industries is endless , and a lot of stuff you can do with a laser and a few tools.
If you want me to amplify these areas I can , or if you wan to ask any questions , feel free to ask....

Dan Hintz
12-22-2008, 2:32 PM
Amplify away, Rodne... every idea someone posts on the board ends up sending me down 10 more idea avenues.

Gregg Vaughn
12-23-2008, 2:02 PM
You all are amazing ..... having immediate access to folks all over the world with real world experience is priceless.

Tom Radachi
12-28-2008, 8:04 AM
I'm in the process of putting a wine room's logo on leather coasters and 3x3 ceramic tiles that they place their bottles on, when on the counter.

AL Ursich
12-28-2008, 2:26 PM
A little router work but a great place to play with the laser....

Next year I will do some with a 1/4 inch Sublimated Ceramic Tile inlay. A Laser tile would work too.

Think Wedding gift with the invitation lasered on the tile or a picture.

And they ship well since they break down with tapered pins.

AL

Ray Uebner
12-29-2008, 6:01 PM
I have a winery on my road and do a lot of things for them, most of what has been suggested by you all. I also do a wall tribute with the winery name and logo in the center. (Laser Buzz style), We do sublimation coster, cork, tile. Thanks for the added ideas.

stephanie janssen
01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
where do you get the wooden circular tags from?

Ray Uebner
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I recently sold a local winery a few hundred wood tags (cut out of 3/32" maple) with their logo rastered on them. The 1 1/2" oval tags have a hole for a jute string to go through and hang around the necks of the bottles. They use these tags for their "select" bottles of wine.

I have been trying to come up with additional ideas for sales to this winery. Anybody have any good ideas to share?

Could you post a picture of the tags it would help.
Thanks

Mike Null
01-05-2009, 7:43 AM
Stephanie

Do a Google search for wooden nickels.

http://www.armsco.com/tokens/nickel-x.htm

Jack Harper
01-07-2009, 7:26 PM
I have just the things for a winery. pm me for more information.

Anyone know who Nate is? According to several posts, he seems to have what ever we want if we just PM him. Hmmmmmm

Ray Uebner
01-07-2009, 7:39 PM
No Idea but did send him a pm to see what he has to offer.

Rudy Ress
01-07-2009, 8:53 PM
Don't know him either but he also posted the same cryptic response in another thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1012652#poststop

Steve Clarkson
01-07-2009, 9:39 PM
Ray, we're all dying to find out what this awesome item is.....please let us know when he responds to you.......(of course, I wasn't willing to get spammed, so I didn't PM him!).

Dan Hintz
01-08-2009, 7:27 AM
It appears "Nate" has been removed form the system, as well as any responses or threads associated with him. Most likely someone phishing for email addresses.

Steve Clarkson
01-08-2009, 7:45 AM
I guess we'll never find out what that great item to engrave was........oh well, I'll keep searching.........

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Well no response. I felt that it was most likely not going to happen as I would of thought he would have posted it for all to share. I do have something I got from the form for a winery and will post after it gets dry and I can take some pictures. I did not design it but I did modify it some. Stay tuned I will get some pictures soon.

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 1:22 PM
Well here it is. Now I did get this off of a forum so I did not design it. I did modify it so that you could use thicker stem glasses. These are good sellers to a winery that they can sell or give when someone buys a case. That is what this winery does. It is made of Baltic Burch Plywood 1/8 inch. I then sand it and put clear varnish 2 coats. Enjoy hope this helps someone it did for me and had a 3 doz order right after I showed it to them with their name on it. The orginal was made up for a wedding with rings, could be made up for any occasion. Mothers day, Anniversary, Birthdays etc. The cdr is corel x3. Enjoy :cool:

Tim Bateson
01-08-2009, 2:01 PM
Fantastic! Thank you Ray!

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 2:47 PM
Your Welcome. I am sure there are many more good ideas out there we just have to think outside the box a little. I am getting better at that. I am in the process of making a Coach plaque for the Bounders group I belong to for their 25 anniversary. I will be using a Laser Buzz cdr and modifing it. Should be interesting.;)

Gregg Vaughn
01-08-2009, 3:18 PM
Ray,

Very nice work .... I have to admit, however, I'm not completely sure what you do with it (my taste in alcoholic beverages leans more toward beer!). Does it hang on the neck of a wine bottle and the glasses then hang off the holder?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm just not up-to-date on wine accessories!

Steve Clarkson
01-08-2009, 3:19 PM
Thanks Ray....I was just looking for one of those! Great timing!

Ray Uebner
01-08-2009, 3:41 PM
Yes the center hole is where the bottle goes and the glasses hang on either side. I am going to try and make a box that will hold the bottle and glasses so that someone can give them as a gift. Hopefully they will want the glasses engraved. I thought about making the box out of 1/8" burch and putting inserts inside so that the bottle and glasses are safe for transport. It would also work when giving a wine gift to someone when you go to their home for dinner. I am also thinking of making it a 4 glass holder when I get the time. Always trying to think of new things that will tempt people into buying.

Ray Uebner
01-12-2009, 2:54 PM
Update on Nate. I received a PM from him and it seems that he works for a company that does laser engraving on wine barrels and lids. Guess he was looking for some business. I can do the same thing so why would I buy from him. Well anyway thought you all would like to know. :)

Dee Gallo
01-12-2009, 2:58 PM
I'm glad you didn't get spammed or worse, Ray. Are we being concerned, cynical or paranoid? But a post like his certainly set off some bells, didn't it?

Thanks for the interesting idea and file.

cheers, dee

Pete Simmons
01-12-2009, 4:02 PM
Coloradoheirloom.com has some of these wine bottle/glass holders. Look under special items on their site.

Steve Clarkson
01-12-2009, 4:15 PM
I don't get it......why would you pay almost $7 to them when you can use Ray's template and cut the same thing out of any scrap piece of wood you have laying around?

Don't get me wrong Pete......I appreciate you telling us about it and I also think that Colorado Heirloom has some really nice stuff......I just can't think why, for this specific item, anyone would buy it instead of just cutting it yourself.......call me cheap.

Anthony Welch
01-12-2009, 4:26 PM
Neat idea for use of Corian for those of you who have a CNC router. Then engrave or engrave then mold to shape desired.

I'm working my way towards a Shop-Bot Buddy just for stuff like this.

Anthony

Pete Simmons
01-12-2009, 4:55 PM
Steve - I never said to buy it! Just thought a look at slightly different ideas might help.

And as you said some are made out of scrap and some are made out of very nice hardwood.

Scrap plywood with a little char on the edges or real hardwood with a nice finish all around. We all need to make our own choices.

I make plenty of items out of plywood with a little char on the edge.

I also make many items out of beautiful Red Alder.

I like the Alder to bad it costs more.

Steve Clarkson
01-12-2009, 5:24 PM
Yea, I guess I hadn't thought about the charred edges....but I made one on baltic birch (less than $1 for the material) today using Ray's template and it came out great. Thanks again Ray!

stephanie janssen
01-13-2009, 7:18 PM
thank-you! I did and now I know what to look for and where to go! ...thanks.

fred sanchez
01-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I made to different versions one out of plastic and the other one out of wood. I also added a hole for the cork. going to show it to my local wine shop tomrrow

thanks ray

fred sanchez
01-14-2009, 2:00 AM
thanks ray and frank
i didnt realize i had the glasses wrong but hey i like to set trends :)

hey frank did u make that one in the picture ? if so thats really nice job

Ryan O'Hara
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Ray, what are you charging for the wine glass to bottle holder? I am just trying to get a ballpark for what the wine market will bear on these since I have no previous experience with these folks.

Ray Uebner
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi
I have had a couple of requests for the wine glass holder in a earlier version in corel so I am reposting it in Ver 9 for those of you that need it. I was not thinking when I posted that not everyone has x3 like I don't have x4. So here it is for those who need it.

Ray Uebner
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
They look nice never thought of puting the glasses that way. They usually go with the bottom of the glass up. This way it keeps the dust out of the glass. That is a good way to show it off though, and the cork idea is good, I think I will use that also. Thanks

Frank Corker
01-14-2009, 1:29 PM
I made to different versions one out of plastic and the other one out of wood. I also added a hole for the cork. going to show it to my local wine shop tomrrow

thanks ray

Nice job except your glasses are hanging the wrong way around. See below.

Skip Weiser
02-02-2009, 4:04 PM
Well here it is. Now I did get this off of a forum so I did not design it. I did modify it so that you could use thicker stem glasses. These are good sellers to a winery that they can sell or give when someone buys a case. That is what this winery does. It is made of Baltic Burch Plywood 1/8 inch. I then sand it and put clear varnish 2 coats. Enjoy hope this helps someone it did for me and had a 3 doz order right after I showed it to them with their name on it. The orginal was made up for a wedding with rings, could be made up for any occasion. Mothers day, Anniversary, Birthdays etc. The cdr is corel x3. Enjoy :cool:

Ray, I used the design for the two glass holder and made a four glass holder. Hope someone can cut this and tell me if the spacing is adequate. It works for the wine glasses that I have, but that's just one brand.

Thanks
Skip

Ray Uebner
02-02-2009, 5:16 PM
I will cut it and let you know. I was thinking of the same thing but got busy and had to get some orders out. I should have it done by tomorrow.
Thanks for the post.

Tim Bateson
02-02-2009, 9:57 PM
I did a bunch for a Superbowl party - of course I didn't get pics of any of those. Here are a few others I did.

Ray Uebner
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Ray, I used the design for the two glass holder and made a four glass holder. Hope someone can cut this and tell me if the spacing is adequate. It works for the wine glasses that I have, but that's just one brand.
Hi
Burned one yesterday and it worked fine. If it needed to have a larger opening it would not be a big deal to make it bigger. Good job and thank you for posting it. At the site someone recommended us to look at for ideas they had a 6 glass holder. Sorry sometimes I have CRS and forgot who posted it, but thanks gives us more ideas. I have also extended it to our Elks lodge for the bar. When people order a bottle of wine and want 2 or 4 glasses there is always trouble getting everything to the table unbroken. So now the use the 2 glass holder and now will be able to use the 4 glass holder thanks to the post to carry the wine and glass to the table without breaking them. After they get get to the table and unload the wine and glass they just bring the holder back to the bar and they reuse them. I also saw the cork idea for putting the bottles on in the tasting room. The winery on the road had me make sublimated tile with their logo and the name of the wine they are pouring on it. These are good as they clean up easily and look great.