PDA

View Full Version : latest turnings

alex carey
12-22-2008, 5:49 AM
3 days ago I turned a 45 pound block of wood on the outboard of my 12" lathe. Today I finally finished setting up the anchoring system. I had my lathe on the lowest speed possible and still this thing was dancing around like crazy. It took me 3 hours to rough it out. Hopefully this will help. Also here is another thing I turned.

1st is a 13" by 4" eucalyptus bowl. It still weighs a good 7 pounds. It has a couple coats of General Finish bowl finish. I have been keeping it in a bag and then letting it out for a few minutes. Trying to slow to the drying process a bit. Seems to be working so far. Hasn't changed shape at all but I still have a ways to go.

2nd is the still unknown wood. 5" by 3.5". I burned a ring on the top, kind of brings it all together in my opinion. Also has a couple of coats of the same finish. I found an old soldering iron and now use it to sign my name and date it. It's not super pretty because it doesn't get hot enough to write consistently but it works. I also put a pattern on the bottom of this bowl just to test out my vacuum chuck. Seems to be working quite well. So well in fact that when I turn the vacuum on there was so much suction the bowl stayed connected to the chuck because it got stuck to the mat I use to make it air tight.

Critiques and comments more than welcome.

alex carey
12-22-2008, 5:53 AM
second one turned today

Scott Lux
12-22-2008, 9:27 AM
I agree, the burn-line makes it even better. Nice job on both.

Lux

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Alex - sometimes out of balance blanks can be a real challenge! Glad to hear you got your under control!

Good looking bowls - both of them! Really like the color and grain of the eucalyptus! Nice work - thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2008, 6:11 PM
Great looking bowls. Like them both. Well done.

Jon Lanier
12-22-2008, 6:44 PM
I concur with Bernie, those are pretty good looking bowls.

Jim Kountz
12-22-2008, 8:45 PM
Good job taming that big blank! Are you still shaking from getting beat to death?? LOL I really like the bowls there!!