PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Old Iron - Wanna Buy Me a Christmas Present?

Eric Porter
12-22-2008, 12:58 AM
:)Just saw this on the IRS auction website. Sure looks like a beautiful specimen and I just thought I would share the pics and link in case anyone wants to buy this for me for Christmas. Or maybe I can buy it for myself if someone else can pick up the shipping. :)

irsauctions dot com

Eric

My apologies to all about including the direct link to the auction site. If you want to go look at it go to the irsauctions.com website and look for the "Woodworking & Metalworking Auction In Somerset" auction in Somerset, NJ

Dewey Torres
12-22-2008, 1:03 AM
$1500 is the next avail bid for the 20" jointer. What a rip off. It isn't worth half that.

All kidding aside I have bookmarked this website. Thanks for the link as it appears to be a find.

Mike Wellner
12-22-2008, 1:14 AM
That makes me drool!

Steve Rozmiarek
12-22-2008, 1:34 AM
Nah, you guys don't want that. The blade guard sucks, and the dust collection is rather lacking. Look closely enough, and you can see a huge 1/4" scratch on the table too. To save you all the temptation, I think I ought to give it a new home!:D

Only one I'd like more is the Oliver 166. Oh, and the Felder in the garage...

Jim Becker
12-22-2008, 8:03 AM
These old aircraft carriers are not only wonderful machines, they are also works of art and so pleasant to look at!

Larry Edgerton
12-22-2008, 8:20 AM
I have a similar Porter, mine is flat belt drive though, has babbit bearings. I use it for a cutoff bench for two different chop saws at this point, adjustable for height :). The bearings got bad, and my intention was to change the head and convert to V belt drive, but I never got to it. Not sure if they are all this way but mine can be used as a molder. Not only does the table ht. change but the table tops slide in and out to change distances to the cutter. I tried it when I had it set up in my last shop and it worked fairly well as a molder. When you are jointing you can slide the tables in very close to the cutter, closer than a parallel system. It is all my 1955 Towmotor forklift wants to lift. The knives weigh ten pounds.

I want a SCMI or a Martin, old iron is cool, but the modern tools kick their butts. I think by the time you factor in shipping this jointer is too expensive at $1500.

Andy Casiello
12-22-2008, 8:53 AM
That's beautiful. I'd love to have a big enough shop to hold that jointer, although if I was able to acquire one like that, I'd sure find the room!

Chip Lindley
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
And how much would a Shellix head cost for one of those?!?! Surely no self respecting woodworker would be satisfied with just *knives* on a huge jointer like that? Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas!

Frank Drew
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I want a SCMI or a Martin, old iron is cool, but the modern tools kick their butts.

Perhaps, but the modern machines haven't yet demonstrated decades and decades of reliable performance. So, we'll see.

Bill Karow
12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Is that the correct fence for the jointer? It seems undersized, but that may just be a matter of scale on the RV sized base! :D

Chris Padilla
12-22-2008, 1:12 PM
I think the US Navy has a missing aircraft carrier?! ;)

Thomas Knighton
12-22-2008, 1:20 PM
That looks vaguely familiar.

Oh wait, never mind. I was thinking of an aircraft carrier ;)

I'd love to have it though.

Tom

Edited for an aw crud, Chris beat me to it :( ;)

Eric Porter
12-22-2008, 1:30 PM
And how much would a Shellix head cost for one of those?!?! Surely no self respecting woodworker would be satisfied with just *knives* on a huge jointer like that? Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas!

Chip, thanks for the offer. Did everyone hear that? It sounded as if Chip offered to buy me a 20" Shelix head for this jointer. I made sure I included a quote of his original post in case he trys to back out.:)

So is it too late for Sawmillcreek Secret Santas? I know what I going to request.:D

Keith/Aaron,
I'll make you a deal if I make the one millionth post can this jointer be my prize?

Eric

Don Bullock
12-22-2008, 2:30 PM
Wow!!:eek:What a beauty.

Eric Porter
12-22-2008, 2:42 PM
Ok, the auction just closed for $2,250 + 10% buyer's premium $225 = $2,475.

If your a creeker and won this auction, I expect a serious gloat post in the near future w/ pics.

Eric

Larry Edgerton
12-22-2008, 6:25 PM
Is that the correct fence for the jointer? It seems undersized, but that may just be a matter of scale on the RV sized base! :D

The fence is the same as mine, and you are correct, it is just the perspective, the fence is probably at least 150#'s and very large.

Peter Quinn
12-22-2008, 7:04 PM
Oh man, who needs a three legged jointer any way, I mean how stable is that going to be?:rolleyes: We got a brand new 20" jointer at work last month, good dust collection and a terminus 4 knife head. Doesn't have the aesthetics of that unit, but it is heavy. Kind of miss the twelve inch it replaced. Its actually a pain to use a jointer that big, and we keep wearing down the first 10 inches of the knives but have to replace the whole 20! Nobody is tall enough to use that back ten except on really wide boards.

Curt Doles
12-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow, I like the aircraft carrier analogy.

I went to an auction at a lumber yard in Massilon Ohio a couple of years ago and they had some similar equipment in their mill. The jointer they had there must have weighed at least 2000 Lbs.

Pretty cool website also.

Thanks,
Curt

Jim Becker
12-23-2008, 8:51 AM
Peter, maybe they need to lower that 20" unit into the floor or put a little platform around it to raise the operator...that would make the "back 10" more accessible to "average" (size) workers.

David Keller NC
12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm sort of wondering what size nuclear power plant is required to run that thing - that's a lot of spinning iron!

Alex Shanku
12-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Probably a 5hp motor.

For a little bit bigger jointer look here. This is also a Porter, but a 36" jointer.

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/7479-A.jpg

Steve H Graham
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Some tools are too nice to use.

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Oh man, who needs a three legged jointer any way, I mean how stable is that going to be?:rolleyes: .

I know you are kidding, but the three legged design was obviously done for uneven floors like the one in my shop. Every other tool in my shop requires that it be shimmed. The Porter has a cast iron swivel piece on the third leg, and no matter where you set it it is instantly stable and flat. Very simple and elegant solution really.

And the guy that can knock that over has my respect!

Now this thread has me wanting to finish modernizing mine. Anyone here have experiance updating old Iron? There is a company in Grand Rapids that does Olivers, but the price puts them with new equipment. I want to get rid of the babbit bearings, and put a safer cutterhead on it. The old one that is on it sucks a piece right on in when it gets ahold. That is why it is a workbench now. Oh and the guard sucks, and it is flat belt drive.

lou sansone
12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
old iron with Babbitt bearings and old iron with ball bearings is a world of difference. these porter 300's were about the best modern "old iron" made when it came to jointer's. the Newman 60 and the oliver patternmakers jointer were also very fine modern "old iron" jointers, as are the modern Northfield jointer's. there is no question that the modern martin is a very fine machine, and I would love to have it. but for now I am happy with my Newman 60 aircraft carrier

Lou

Phil Thien
12-23-2008, 10:07 PM
...but for now I am happy with my Newman 60 aircraft carrier

Lou

Wow, Lou, for a moment I almost felt sorry for you. :D