PDA

View Full Version : Spraying shellac?

Greg Coleman
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I am about to finish a large window seat unit for my daughter's room. The seat is 71" long by 21" tall by 18" deep The piece is two upright bookcase units 87" tall by 24" wide by 12" deep. there is a 71" x 12" bridge across the top. The piece is made of red oak ply with solid red oak face frames. I am attempting to match the existing pieces in the room. They are made of "Chinese oak" with a semi gloss finish.

My test pieces indicate using pre mixed amber shellac. However, I brushed it on straight out of the can. Can I spray this finish using a conversion HVLP gun? Do you have other advice? What pitfall do you suspect?

Joe Chritz
12-22-2008, 1:50 AM
My test pieces indicate using pre mixed amber shellac. However, I brushed it on straight out of the can. Can I spray this finish using a conversion HVLP gun? Do you have other advice? What pitfall do you suspect?

Yes.
Wear a good respirator.
No open flames.

I spray both bullseye shellac and seal coat all the time. Just a few hours ago in fact.

Joe

Jim Becker
12-22-2008, 7:32 AM
What Joe said...I also spray it all the time.

Russ Massery
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Ditto on Joe's reply. It's my favorite way to apply it. I use sealcoat right out of the can.

Steve Schoene
12-22-2008, 1:18 PM
Sure you can spray it. The Amber is usually 3 lb. cut in the can and two pound cut is what most people like to spray--but your results may differ. To thin this 3 lb. cut to 2 lb. cut, mix 2 parts alcohol to 5 parts liquid shellac.

Greg Coleman
12-22-2008, 8:45 PM
Thanks guys I am going to give it a try.