PDA

View Full Version : Tips for walnut Christmas gift

Wes Billups
12-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I've just finished a walnut recipe card/book holder and need to apply a finish tomorrow night (12/22) and Tuesday (12/23) that will be dry enough so I can deliver on Wednesday. I'm debating on either spray shellac or laquer but wanted everyone's opinions. I'd like to use a wiping varnish but just don't have time to wait for this method to dry.

I'll say I've used orange shellac on walnut before and been very happy with the results. Does anyone sell spray cans of orange shellac?

Thanks,
Wes

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 11:08 PM
If this piece will be subject to any moisture I would be wary of shellac. Although, I love shellac for a quick finish it does not hold up well when exposed to water.

Wes Billups
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Andrew, I was thinking the same thing. What about a couple coats of shellac followed by a top coat of spray laquer? Would this give the shellac moisture protection? Would it give the project that plastic look?

Joe Chritz
12-22-2008, 1:54 AM
Deft makes a NC lacquer in a spray bomb.

Zinseer spray shellac is dewaxed and can be top coated with anything you want.

Joe

Jim Becker
12-22-2008, 7:35 AM
If this piece will be subject to any moisture I would be wary of shellac. Although, I love shellac for a quick finish it does not hold up well when exposed to water.

Water and moisture are two different things. Shellac is one of the best moisture barriers available. But it's not the best for standing water. The question would be if that would be a factor for a recipe/cookbook holder. I'd probably just use the shellac (probably a spray bomb of Zinsser) and be done with it, especially since it can be applied at colder temps. But spray-bomb lacquer would be just as easy, although you need a safe place to spray it.

Joe I would not recommend applying the lacquer over the shellac. Use one or the other.