PDA

View Full Version : You won’t believe what happen tonight "PIC"

Steve King
06-15-2004, 11:49 PM
I was working in the shop tonight, making saw dust, just working away making dividers for the drawers. I had the cyclone running while making cuts on the TS and needed to make a cut on the RAS. Turned off the cyclone and closed the gate and opened the gates to the RAS and restarted the cyclone and it sounded like a bomb went off. The wife comes running into the shop, just to make sure I was in one piece, and we check out the cyclone. The shaft had twisted off flush on the impeller. I guess that is what I get for buying the HF 5hp motor with the 5/8” shaft. One good thing I still have 2 more years of warrantee on the motor.
Steve

Ed Moehlenpah
06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm glad you weren't hurt. That must have been quite a scare.

Ed

David Klink
06-16-2004, 12:24 AM
As long as all YOUR parts are there and functioning properly, that's all that matters.

Charles McKinley
06-16-2004, 2:40 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm glad that you are alright. If that impeller had came throught the housing it could have been very ugly.

Jim Becker
06-16-2004, 4:59 AM
Ouch...not a fun thing. Check the impeller, itself, for damage as you don't want to reassemble it if it is out of balance, etc. The picture seems to show some potential damage on the impeller blades

Kelly C. Hanna
06-16-2004, 7:47 AM
Wow, that's not good. Glad it didn't hit you.

Steve Jenkins
06-16-2004, 7:55 AM
That's pretty impressive to have the motor shaft shear off. Hope it didn't screw up the fan.Glad it wasn't anything worse. Steve

Terry Hatfield
06-16-2004, 7:59 AM
Steve,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Glad your OK. Like the others said, double check everything and give HF a piece of your mind!!!

t

Steve King
06-16-2004, 9:12 AM
I’m glad it sheared off on start up and not at full speed; don’t know what would have happened. It was too late to pull it apart but I know that one blade is bent. A friend of mine has a machine shop and I will have him inspect the impeller for cracks and see if it out of balance.
Steve

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 9:21 AM
Ya What they said! Now get back on the horse.

Bruce Page
06-16-2004, 9:25 AM
I'd would have had to change my shorts three times after that one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Glad it wasn't worse.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-16-2004, 9:49 AM
Can't blame this one on the Harbor Freight unit...same thing happened to my JET 1100. Obviously something was amiss, and I was bending over to shut it off when the impeller let go and cut through the shroud. Scared the bejabbers out of me.

They ended up simply replacing the whole unit...

KC

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 10:19 AM
I think I'm now officially glad I spent the money on an all-metal (16-18 gauge I think) blower housing for my cyclone! It would take something to punch through that! Yikes! Glad you are okay, Steve.

Steve Clardy
06-16-2004, 2:13 PM
I'd would have had to change my shorts three times after that one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Glad it wasn't worse.
Hmmm. Me too.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-16-2004, 4:55 PM
Steve, I'm glad you're o.k. but I was wondering if something got stuck in there? I could see a big chunck of wood getting caught in the impeller and ripping it off. Otherwise it sounds like sub par mettalurgy. Hope you get it up and running real soon. Alan in Md.