PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Mini Vase (?)

BILL DONAHUE
12-21-2008, 8:48 PM
Not sure what to call this. Saw something like it a long time ago on an English website and can't find the site now. Paid $2 for the wood at the local woodturning club and can't remember what type of wood it is. Bottom line is I don't know what I'm doing or what I did - but it was fun. It's 5 3/4" high X 3 7/8" wide, finished with Danish Oil and wipe on poly. It was a little green when it hit the lathe and fortunately the rim warped just enough to make it interesting (looks like a whirlpool). Wish I'd made the bark-rim a lot thinner and will on the next one. It was one of the fastest and easiest turnings I've done.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2008, 9:35 PM
That is a good looking vase and the finish is really nice. That would be the only thing I would have changed to is the rim slightly thinner.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2008, 9:53 PM
Bill - that is some pretty cool looking wood! Nice form! Glad to hear it was fun to turn! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Dewey Torres
12-21-2008, 9:54 PM
Man that figure is something else! WOW:D

Jeff Nicol
12-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Bill, It does have a nice look to it and I know that you will put out many more of these lovely turnings! Not sure what the wood is either but who cares as long as the end result is nice!

Jeff