PDA

View Full Version : Casters for a mobile base

Steven Bolton
12-21-2008, 8:31 PM
I want to make a nice mobile base. I am going to buy the casters at Woodcraft.

My question is, do I need four double locking casters or two double locking casters and two non locking casters? Would four locking casters be better?

I am talking about an assembly table, router table, or some use like that. No heavy 400 lb. situation.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Steven DeMars
12-21-2008, 9:07 PM
You may want to check out Great Lakes Caster . . .better selection, excellent prices. . .good service . . . .

Check this thread . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99025

Steve

Ben West
12-21-2008, 9:11 PM
I'm about to build one for my restoration project, a big ole Powermatic 81 bandsaw. After looking at some of the commericial units, and at some of the homemade wood bases here at SMC, I've decided to make my own out of some scrap white oak.

I'm going to use 2 nonlocking, nonswiveling casters, and 2 swiveling total lock casters, just as many commerical models do. It should be rock solid when the 2 locking casters are locked.

Jason Hanko
12-21-2008, 9:32 PM
I just picked up 4 of these 3'' Double Lock Casters. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Caster-3-Total-Lock-Swivel-Plate-Poly-Wheel_W0QQitemZ370094363704QQihZ024QQcategoryZ5699 7QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)
It was under $30 for the four of them. Just got them Friday and haven't put them on anything yet - but the quality looks quite good. The locking mechanism is very comparable to the Woodcraft ones, with multiple teeth locking in on the mechanism.

Steven Bolton
12-21-2008, 9:37 PM
Actually, I think I will be getting the casters as a gift, so I think they will be Woodcraft. But am wasting them by using four double locking ones on one mobile unit?

Thanks

SB

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 9:58 PM
Steve,

I put four double locking casters on a router table I just built. The problem I am having with using all four double lockers is that it is nearly impossible to get all four of the locking mechanisms to be swung out from under the cabinet at the same time. I often end up just leaving two unlocked. If I get a chance I may end up taking two of the lockers off and replacing them with two non swivel non locking casters. The woodcraft ones are nice (they have them on sale a couple of times a years for around 30% off. ) but they are a bit pricey at full retail. Has anyone taken a serious look at Harbor Freight's casters?

Greg Hines, MD
12-21-2008, 11:13 PM
How are you going to attach them to your tool/table? One thing to consider is how Norm attached casters to his assembly table, by hinging them to the short end on a board that uses jacks to support when you want to move it, and then pull a string to disengage the jacks. For that kind of arrangement, non locking casters are completely appropriate, as you have no need to lock them.

Most mobile bases are built like shopping sarts, with two swiveling casters on one end, and two non-swiveling casters on the other. The non-swiveling casters cannot have locks, at least I have never seen one have a lock.

Doc

Jason Hanko
12-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Steve,

I put four double locking casters on a router table I just built. The problem I am having with using all four double lockers is that it is nearly impossible to get all four of the locking mechanisms to be swung out from under the cabinet at the same time. I often end up just leaving two unlocked. If I get a chance I may end up taking two of the lockers off and replacing them with two non swivel non locking casters. The woodcraft ones are nice (they have them on sale a couple of times a years for around 30% off. ) but they are a bit pricey at full retail. Has anyone taken a serious look at Harbor Freight's casters?

Ditto to everything said above - the two locking casters on the back of my TS mobile base never get locked out of sheer laziness...:D
I have tried a few of HF's casters, and they're OK. Not in the same league as a decent set of double locking casters tho - don't expect whatever you put them on to be rock solid with no wiggling while locked. I'd say you get what you pay for, but I actually paid LESS for the SES casters I mentioned above than I did for the HF ones with wheel locks, and the SES are about 700 times better. :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
12-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I ran four swivel-locks on my fliptop stand as I still do on my rolling work/assembly table. In a crowded shop it helps to not have to drive something around like a car. It is easier to just push it whatever way you want to go.

Having said that, I changed my fliptop to 2 swivel-lock and 2 non-swivel. A shop re-org changed the "stored" location of the fliptop to be tucked tightly between my rollup door and the end of my jointer. Despite more involved maneuvering, I needed the stand to stay "on track" once I had it aimed so as not to keep hitting the door :rolleyes:.

So, I guess . . . . it depends.

Mark Godlesky
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I go with two locking and two non-locking but all swivel.

I like the casters from Hartville Tools. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11883. They are pretty beefy, lock the wheel and swivel and reasonably priced.

The Woodcraft are very nice but pricey. The HF are a definite step down in quality, but are OK for lighter duty.

Bill White
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
We have a local industrial caster supply house here in Tupelo, Mississippi. If we've got one in our relatively small town, I betcha that there is one close to you. That way you can play "touchy-feely".
Bill

Steven DeMars
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
:)
We have a local industrial caster supply house here in Tupelo, Mississippi. If we've got one in our relatively small town, I betcha that there is one close to you. That way you can play "touchy-feely".
Bill

Hey you guys had Elvis . . . so not every town will have that :-)

Chip Lindley
12-22-2008, 1:51 PM
Using FOUR swivel casters for any base is just plain DUMB!! Steering FOUR swiveling casters is no fun (and embarassing to a grown man!) This should be avoided at all costs!! Is a FACT that all casters should LOCK when you want a mobile base to STAY put. If you have a four footed base, TWO casters should be FIXED/NON swivel (but locking is still a must)

I have made my own bases like the HTC (and other) tricycle bases, with 2 fixed/locking at one end, and the one swiveling caster at the other. These steer just fine and level easier! Cheaper too!

Chip Lindley
12-22-2008, 2:08 PM
Non-swivelling casters can easily be made to lock by welding a nut to the frame which will allow a bolt w/finger knob to tighten against the caster wheel. Not as cool OR expensive as the toe pedal types, but it would not Hurt any woodworker I know to do a few Bends at the waist from time to time! HoHoHo!!!

Steven DeMars
12-22-2008, 3:24 PM
[quote=Chip Lindley;998721]Using FOUR swivel casters for any base is just plain DUMB!! Steering FOUR swiveling casters is no fun (and embarassing to a grown man!) This should be avoided at all costs!! Is a FACT that all casters should LOCK when you want a mobile base to STAY put. If you have a four footed base, TWO casters should be FIXED/NON swivel (but locking is still a must)

Well I would not call it "dumb" . . .it has it's advantages . . .

If your locking system is designed correctly & not dependent of "freezing" a wheel from turning or a swivel from swiveling what difference does it make?

I have four SNAP-ON tool cabinet/chest combos and the ALL have four swivel type casters.

The mobile stands I have built for myself have four ZAMBUS style casters and steers very easy . . . I'm not going down the freeway, just a few feet across the shop.

Steve

Ben West
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Can't agree with this at all. I have and have used many other mobile bases with only 2 locking casters and 2 rigid nonlocking casters, and they work fine.

Jules Dominguez
12-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Depending on where the cabinet or tool with the casters is located in your shop, non-swiveling casters can be a royal PITA. I installed two swiveling and two non-swiveling on a finishing worktable and a bench-mounted drill press in my shop, and after enjoying a sufficient amount of irritation from the arrangements, I changed the non-swiveling casters out, which was a PITA in itself. Having non-swiveling casters on one end is very limiting to your movement options, unless you just like picking one end of the cabinet up with with brute force.

Chip Lindley
12-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I have looked at today, *double locking casters* are Totally Locked OR totally free to roll and swivel. Thus, when they are free they are just like any other rolling/swivelling caster out there in *casterland*! Ah, But if they would only lock the swivel and allow rolling, until you wish to lock the wheel, THEN you would have something !!

I made the mistake of adding 4 heavy duty swivel casters to the very first ever stand I built in 1985 for a heavy old Crescent CI 8" jointer. When that baby started in *it's* Direction it has a mind of its own! Finally I welded two casters into a non-swivelling mode, and the stand works as it should. My casters *lock* but only by screwing a bolt in against the wheel. But that was 1985....

Anthony Anderson
12-23-2008, 1:35 AM
Using FOUR swivel casters for any base is just plain DUMB!!

Wow Chip! Those are some pretty strong words. To each their own.

Russ Kay
12-23-2008, 3:07 AM
I've been very happy with 3" urethane casters from Hartville Tool -- and they're significantly cheaper than Woodcraft or Rockler.

-- Russ

Randy Klein
12-23-2008, 7:02 AM
The tradeoff is:

- With 2 swivels and 2 non-swivels, maneuvering is easier since it's more like a shopping cart

- With 4 swivels, tighter maneuvers are possible. So when trying to fit into or out of a tight spot, you don't have to the shopping cart dance to get it there.

I have both types in my shop and prefer 4 swivels.

Jim Mattheiss
12-23-2008, 3:18 PM
Wow - this is a timely post!

I just got the case assembled for my table saw base (with drawers). The "rear" casters are non-swiveling / non-locking and the "front" casters are double lock (swiveling and rolling is stopped when locked). I got a 4" set from Woodcraft while they were on sale a while ago.

The issue is the with the "front" casters locked a reasonably small amount of front to back pressure/force will "skid" the 2 front locked casters. I don't want to be chasing the saw across the garage during a rip. If I "pull" with the same force I can stand the saw up on the "front" wheels. It's not a coefficient of static friction thing . . .

It appears that the center of gravity of my setup it putting more weight on the rear wheels than the front wheels.

I like Chips' idea of using a bolt to lock the "rear" casters. I was toying with buying another set of double locks from Woodcraft and fixing them in position somehow.

I'll post some pictures when I figure it out.

Happy Holidays

Jim

Curt Harms
12-23-2008, 3:41 PM
One for a G1023 cabinet saw, one for a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw and one for a Jet J/P. All three use a similar caster/locking scheme. I didn't go with 4 locking casters. All 3 bases have 2 fixed wheels, sort of like Chip is advocating. The other two casters swivel but don't lock. I was able to make one end or side of the base "lift". I glued hardwood pads on the bottom of the base the same thickness as the gap between the rear wheels and the floor so when the wooden pads are on the floor the stand is level. I've never had to "chase" any of the tools around the shop. They don't seem even close to moving while in use and are quite stable. Downside is that the tools won't spin in a circle so aren't as maneuverable but the idea works for me.

There was another consideration when I was designing the base for the J/P. I know me...if all 4 casters swiveled I'd be pushing sideways on the jointer tables when moving the machine. That didn't seem like a great idea to me so I have a separate dolly and don't have to touch the machine at all to move it, just the dolly handle. I do have to grasp the bandsaw to move it but try with mixed sucess to grab by the frame, not the table. Just something to consider. I've posted pics of all 3 bases on SMC at one time or another.

HTH

Curt

David Eppler
12-23-2008, 7:17 PM
My tools all must fit together with less than 2" between them when put away so 4 swivel castors is a MUST. The table saw and bandsaw have 2 non-swivel castors and they send me scurrying around the shop doing the "back-and-forth" dance.

YMMV