PDA

View Full Version : First bowl

Dahl Troy Perry
12-21-2008, 7:36 PM
Turned my first bowl today made of osage orange 6'' x 2' no finish yet just sanded to 800 grit. I now know that I need a bowl scraper all I have is gouges and parting tools the one that worked the best was the one that I made with the round insert but a scraper would be nice I think to smooth the inside.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2008, 7:55 PM
Dahl - beautiful bowl! Nice form and really good looking grain! You should be proud of this one! Make sure you sign and date it as there is only one 1st!

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2008, 8:06 PM
Dahl that is a beauty. Great looking wood and great finish.

David Drickhamer
12-21-2008, 8:40 PM
Nice bowl Dahl. I like the shape.

Toney Robertson
12-21-2008, 9:12 PM
Dahl,

Looks great. A really good start as you decline into the vortex.

I have some OO and have not used it yet. How did it turn? Did you turn it wet or dry?

Toney

Scott Lux
12-21-2008, 9:26 PM
That is a nice bowl, especially for your first. If I may recommend something... Don't finish it. Get some 1200 and maybe 1500 grit, and just polish it. I did that with a honeylocust bowl, and it came out great. Dense woods look great unfinished and polished.

Alan Trout
12-21-2008, 9:38 PM
Dahl, That is a fine bowl. Keep up the good work.

Alan

Dewey Torres
12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I may have to take many a lesson to hope to have my first turn out that good. Excellent work.:)

Jeff Nicol
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Dahl, Looks good to me for the first attempt at a bowl! I still have mine and it is much smaller and not such nice wood! I have some Mulberry that looks a lot like Osage, or as it was called when I was a kid hedge apple. I was born in Illinois and on my uncles farm it was all over the fence lines! If I had known then what I know now it all would be some where waiting for me to turn!

Again great job! Put some naptha or mineral spirits on it to see what it will look like finished. It will also show where any imperfections are.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Dahl Troy Perry
12-22-2008, 9:07 AM
We call then hedge apple here in Indiana to did not they were Osage Orange till I started to buy a blank at Rockler and the guy said good old hedge apple then the bell rang in my head that where we ride ATV's there were tons of hedge apple trees next week takeing the chain saw for a little ride.

Keith Christopher
12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Very nice ! It's all over for you now the vortex has sucked you in !

Chris Stolicky
12-22-2008, 3:15 PM
Good job.

OO is one of my favorite woods. Its also a very hard wood. I turned one of my first bowls out of OO. Well, I have actually only made 10 bowls or so, so not too many. I just used some boiled linseed oil on mine and let it dry. It really popped the grain and came out nice.

I also pretty much turned the entire thing with a scraper, too. I have been bowl gouge-challenged, but I am learning.

Pete Jordan
12-22-2008, 4:30 PM
Very nice! Get a big scraper and it will be much easier.