PDA

View Full Version : One Lucky Guy - UPDATE

George Guadiane
12-21-2008, 6:20 PM
I said that I would post some pictures, so:
I got a contract with a MAJOR upscale International retailer because they found me on the web... Like in the movie "The Devil Wears Prada," everything is a RUSH...
To be delivered tomorrow, I have to drive them in so that they will have an extra day to dry.
If I understand correctly, they will be shipped to Taipei.
The pair are 14 inches high and the fat boy is 12 inches high (as per the commission - they had no concern about the diameter so I didn't measure).
Water Based Poly

The second view shows the damage and bug holes (they squish when they hit your face shield).

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2008, 6:23 PM
Excellent work George! Love the sizes! Congrats on your commission - hope you get many more! Really like the form on the pair! Very nice!

robert hainstock
12-21-2008, 7:12 PM
Up to your usual high standards. Congrats on the commision, and may there be many more. :D:D:D
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2008, 8:34 PM
Congrats on the commission and those are some beauties.

George Guadiane
12-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks Guys!
I feel VERY Blessed today:
Fortunate for my developing skill and the chance to buy some more toys - um TOOLS to further my development.

Don Orr
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice work as usual George. Did they specify type of wood for you ? What kind of wood is it ? Looks like a softwood.

Upon further review, I don't think softwood, but not sure what hardwood. I see lots of medullary rays so maybe an Oak of some sort.

See you soon,

Jon Lanier
12-22-2008, 2:37 PM
The second view shows the damage and bug holes (they squish when they hit your face shield).

You know what the last thing is that comes to a bugs mind when it hits the wind shield?

.'
-It's butt. :p

Jon Lanier
12-22-2008, 2:38 PM
OH...... nice hollow forms!

Chris Stolicky
12-22-2008, 3:08 PM
Congrats...

What kind of wood?

Pete Jordan
12-22-2008, 4:34 PM
Congrats Lucky! You deserve it.

George Guadiane
12-22-2008, 8:12 PM
Nice work as usual George. Did they specify type of wood for you ? What kind of wood is it ? Looks like a softwood.

Upon further review, I don't think softwood, but not sure what hardwood. I see lots of medullary rays so maybe an Oak of some sort.

See you soon,
Sorry about that (everyone), I was so excited about delivering them (done) that I forgot the important stuff.
I told them what I had available in the "reddish brown" color they wanted (red oak) and they said DO IT.
I will bill for delivery, which will pay for gas and Sushi!

I have to say, this whole thing is REALLY surreal! I have the check, I delivered part of the order and STILL, it doesn't seem like it's happened???

George Guadiane
01-02-2009, 2:48 PM
This is the fourth of five pieces I have been working on for a contract I fell into, BECAUSE I HAVE A WEB SITE (everyone should have one, it could happen to you too!).
This vase is 14 3/4 inches high by 7 1/2 inches in diameter.
Finished with water based poly
(It's the one pictured on the lathe, in my last post).
As Always, All Questions and/or Comments Welcome.

David Cramer
01-02-2009, 3:08 PM
You are a highly skilled turning George! A very small percentage of woodworkers can kick out the high quality work that you've shown in your pictures, both on SMC and your website. You've earned:) your success and I wish you continued success in the New Year.

David

Gary Herrmann
01-02-2009, 3:23 PM
Nice forms on those George. You also did a really good job of duplicating the shapes on the pair.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2009, 3:41 PM
Looks great George! Do you have more commissions after the 5th vase?

George Guadiane
01-03-2009, 9:06 AM
You are a highly skilled turning George! A very small percentage of woodworkers can kick out the high quality work that you've shown in your pictures, both on SMC and your website. You've earned:) your success and I wish you continued success in the New Year.

David
VERY kind words, thank you!

Nice forms on those George. You also did a really good job of duplicating the shapes on the pair.
I REALLY got lucky on that! Duplicating is VERY difficult for me, I was delighted at how they came out, but, in honesty, I spent a lot of time going inside and outside till I got happy with them.

Looks great George! Do you have more commissions after the 5th vase?
Thanks Steve,
There MAY be "much more" to do for this company if they like the first ones.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
George - I will keep my fingers crossed that this all leads to many more commissions for you! Enjoy the ride!

Benjamin Dahl
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
great stuff George. I need to think about a website for my work. My business has been all pens but since the economy went south my corporate clients have cut back. maybe a website would allow for the occasional sale. Hope you get more commissions.

George Guadiane
01-03-2009, 9:59 PM
Glad to have this ready to deliver!
This is the fifth and final piece for the contract I have.
Red Oak:
14 3/4 inches tall by 8 1/2 inches in diameter.
Water Based Poly Finish

As Always, All Questions and/or Comments Welcome!