PDA

View Full Version : Makita "Recon" SCMS (LS1013FL) with sticky rails; should I return it?

Greg L. Brown
12-21-2008, 1:07 PM
Morning all,
I recently bought a Makita Sliding Compound Miter Saw from an online store called CPO Tool Outlet (http://www.cpooutlets.com/). It was a factory reconditioned deal from CPO. When I received the tool it was definately pre-owned (alot of scuff/scratch marks on the base, and some other dings), but I sort of expected that with a recon. unit.

The more troubling thing is the rails are a bit sticky (the sliding action). It really sticks when unit is closest to me (i.e. when preparing to make a 12" wide cut). It's not so bad I can't push it, but I expected it to be much smoother.

Is there a way to make the rails ride smoother?

Do you think I should return it? I have a feeling the return process from an online store is a pain in the arse.

Thanks,
Greg

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 1:14 PM
Unless there is a simple fix, I would return it or get it fixed at a makita service center under warranty. I would not just live with it like it is. I actually almost purchased that exact saw from CPO on ebay and was waiting for the MS Cashback to kick in again. I am a little reluctant now. Every factory reconditioned tool I have ever owned has been flawless when I recieved it. Does CPO claim they are factory reconditioned or just reconditioned?

Greg L. Brown
12-21-2008, 1:41 PM
What is MS Cashback?

Yeah, the saw was $419 at CPO Tool. I thought it was a good deal, since I'd been watching the saw for months and it never dipped below $499. In hindsight (20/20 of course) I should have waited for a new saw to drop in price. I'd love to have gotten it for $399 at HD (someone said they saw it for that price... not sure when that was though).

It's pretty annoying, but I wonder if I get the same issue again if I get another saw from CPO (they pay the shipping, but it's a pain nonetheless).

-Greg

Steve Clardy
12-21-2008, 3:56 PM
Put some lube on the rails first. See if that helps the slide action

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2008, 4:03 PM
Steve's got it, try lubing the rails first. It should not bind anywhere, ever. Send it back if a little lube doesn't help. Was it a Makita reman, or something else?

Larry Edgerton
12-21-2008, 4:07 PM
Its not broken, lube the rails. You will have to ocassionally clean and lube the rails for the life of the saw, whenever it does what it is doing now.

Greg L. Brown
12-21-2008, 4:48 PM
It's a Makita factory reconditioned saw. I bought it from CPO Tools, but they assured me it was reconditioned at the Makita factory (and there's a Makita "Factory reconditioned sticker" on the saw). It honestly looks pretty well used though. The base is well marked up (scuffed more than scratched), and there's saw-tooth marks in the metal beneath the plastic kerf plate. So the saw blade, at some point in the saws life, hit the metal. I'm sure they replaced the blade, but I imagine a blade digging into the metal below the kerf could have damaged the saw.

I just expected it to be pretty much new (not obviously well-used). I'm on the fence wheter to return it or not. It's free for me (they'll send me another recon. one); but a pain to do.

-Greg

Greg L. Brown
12-21-2008, 4:53 PM
Larry Edgerton wrote: Its not broken, lube the rails. You will have to ocassionally clean and lube the rails for the life of the saw, whenever it does what it is doing now. I just got back from Home Depot, where they had the same Makita LS1013FL on display. That thing glided like it was on ice. And that's the display model! The one I have is noticeably tighter and harder to slide. However, I did notice at Home Depot their rails were very well lubed. Mine are bone dry.

What should I lube it with?

I have 30 days to return it to CPO Tools, and after that it's covered by Makita for a year. Maybe it's not worth the hassle (if something is really wrong with it, Makita will fix it, right?).

-Greg

Steve Clardy
12-21-2008, 5:39 PM
Put a dab of engine oil on them and rub with rag.

If you have any spray silicone around that would be best

Sonny Edmonds
12-21-2008, 8:00 PM
Yep.
Factory refurbished isn't checked over junk. It's reburbed and tested.
I have a few refurbished things in my shop, including my Hitachi SCMS.
None of them have shown me any grief what so ever.
And none of them were "beat up". Light scratches, but not beat to chit and rolled out of a delivery truck. ;)

Jason White
12-21-2008, 8:05 PM
Try some "Slip It." I use the stuff in the can.

http://www.slipit.com/home.html

Morning all,
I recently bought a Makita Sliding Compound Miter Saw from an online store called CPO Tool Outlet (http://www.cpooutlets.com/). It was a factory reconditioned deal from CPO. When I received the tool it was definately pre-owned (alot of scuff/scratch marks on the base, and some other dings), but I sort of expected that with a recon. unit.

The more troubling thing is the rails are a bit sticky (the sliding action). It really sticks when unit is closest to me (i.e. when preparing to make a 12" wide cut). It's not so bad I can't push it, but I expected it to be much smoother.

Is there a way to make the rails ride smoother?

Do you think I should return it? I have a feeling the return process from an online store is a pain in the arse.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg L. Brown
12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. In the end, I decided I'm going to return it. I tried lubing it with oil then with silicone spray (I wiped off the oil before applying the silicone). It helped a little, but it's still rubbing on something. You can even hear it rubbing. That's the last thing I want is bent rails. The one at HD glided perfectly. Man, I should have just bought it new and saved the headache.

I hope I get a better refurb'd the second time.

Thanks,
Greg

Paul Coffin
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I purchased the 10" Makita SCMS about a year ago home depot. I did not actually get to use it for a couple of months. When I did get to use it it would stick It would stick/hesitate when trying to push it forward for the cutting stroke. Once it finally started moving forward, it felt smooth. But that initial sticky point really worried me. I called HD to ask about exchanging it but got a runaround on it being over 30 days and that I would have to take it to a warranty service facility. Not wanting to go thru the hassel of sending it somewhere I started nosing around underneath the unit and found that the inner front twist knob that locks the sliding motion seemed to be part of the problem. Mine does not stick if I unscrew that knob several more turns than is actually required to free up the sliding motion. You might see if this helps your saw out. I also lubed the parts underneath the saw ans that may have helped too.

Paul