PDA

View Full Version : Glasses without rotary attachment?

bob pfohler
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I think I saw some discussion about lasering glasses without a rotary attachment but I seem to find any post.
Is anyone doing glasses without a rotary and are there any tricks to doing it?

Margaret Turco
12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I've only done a couple to see if I could. I made the image a little too large and had to go over them twice with a change in focus to account for the curve on the second pass. They came out fine using a coating of dish soap. Next time I try I will also use newspaper stuck to the soap as many here have suggested. Sorry I don't remember the settings I used.

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2008, 1:19 PM
I have done a few, you have to focus between the closest and farthest places to be engraved then make sure the image is not too big or the outside edges will be fuzzy or missing. One initial or logo no more than 1.5" seems to work fine. You also might consider trying it first with blue masking tape over the glass at low power to engrave in white on the tape and test it before doing the glass.

Brian Robison
12-22-2008, 8:14 AM
I do it all the time. I keep my engraving to 1.900" on 14 oz wine glasses and have found using soap and a soaked blue disposable "shop towel" works well. The "shop towel" will stretch and conform to the complex curve of the glass. I focus like Joe said and I increase the power to compensate for the out of focus areas and to engrave through the towel.