PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Jet Proshop TS

Barry Richardson
12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Getting a new TS is in my long-term budget, but I stumbled on this yesterday. It seems like a very good deal, ($772 shipped) and was one of the saws I was considering. Wasn't planning on pulling the trigger yet, but if this is an exceptional deal, I might. Any else got one? What did you pay? Also, is the tilt wheel on the right, as pictured. This would be a drawback to me, I want the tilt wheel to be on the left. Please advise:) Barry http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007DSWR/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Looks like a good deal to me especially since it has the cast iron extension wings. I believe you would also qualify for a Jet $50 rebate and an additional bonus rebate from jet of $50 ($100 total but you have to complete two forms).

Kelly C. Hanna
12-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't think this is a belt drive saw....that means a universal motor versus the usual induction motor right? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
The Proshop is a belt drive hybrid saw with the induction motor housed in the base. The saw listed on Amazon is a left tilt saw, which most people today prefer, so the blade will be tilting away from the fence (the tilt wheel is located under the right wing of the saw). This saw received good reviews when it was released about a year ago. I was about to buy one but I ended up finding a very good deal on an older cabinet saw instead. There should be a lot of info on this saw available online since it is so new to help you make your decision.

Paul Ryan
12-21-2008, 1:15 PM
There is a review of this saw and others considered hybrids in a 2007 fine woodworking issue. I considered this saw before I bought a steel city, but the price was higher at the time. If you want a copy of the review PM me with you e-mail and I will send you a copy. I can't find the link now, and it is to big to add as an attachment.

scott spencer
12-21-2008, 1:36 PM
I don't think this is a belt drive saw....that means a universal motor versus the usual induction motor right? That would be a deal breaker for me.

It definitely has a serpentine belt drive and an induction motor. $770 is a good deal, but not a great deal IMO.

I'd also check into the new Ridgid R4511 hybrid. Granite top, cabinet mounted trunnions, one-piece arbor carriage, riving knife, and the herculift base for $600. Look at the pics from "Ashman (http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21249)" in the page 5 & 6 range.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-21-2008, 1:37 PM
In that case it's a heck of a deal. At that price if I were in the market I'd have to consider that saw among the top contenders.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-21-2008, 1:46 PM
I'd never even consider the Ridgid if I were thinking about the Jet...there's no comparison in quality between those two brands. There's a reason why you don't see very many quality tools at Home Depot.

Barry Richardson
12-21-2008, 2:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll pass on the Jet, mainly because the tilt wheel is on the right side. Seems like a little thing, but the saws I use where I work have the wheel on the left (Sawstops). When I'm at home in my shop I now realize what a pain it is to have tilt on the right, like my current Jet contractor saw. Guess I'm getting lazy:o. So far I see the Craftsman and the new Ridgid feature left side wheels.

Chuck Tringo
12-21-2008, 2:29 PM
It is a good deal for the CI wings. I have one and I love it...unfortunately I went overweight on my last move for the army and I have another one coming up in 6 months so I promised LOML I'd let it go. At least she did say I could use the money to get lightweight replacement tools...I think most of it will go to Lee Valley which would definitely lighter than the proshop :D

Matthew Hills
12-21-2008, 3:13 PM
I ordered mine around Nov 26th of last year to take advantage of rebates from woodcraft and Jet. $700+tax - 5% rebate - $50 rebate + 50 delivery to door ==> $722. The prices jumped quite a bit earlier this year (~$200?), so this deal seems pretty competitive.

The steel cuts fine; CI wings are good; fence is very nice. Dust collection isn't great and splitter/guard are poor. The Jet 708119 mobile base is a pretty good mobile base for this saw.

Matt

chris dub
12-22-2008, 7:36 AM
It has dropped to $733 before rebates.

Prashun Patel
12-22-2008, 8:20 AM
That's a fantastic deal. I bought the Proshop this summer for about $800. Then the price went up considerably. Now I feel like a heel.

Fine Woodworking or Wood recently did a review of hybrids and they really liked the Woodtek 148-271. Got best value and best overall. That saw - like most - has the tilt on the right hand side.

If you have the $$ and really want front or left dials, look at the new Delta Unisaw. Sa-weet.

If yr still considering the Jet PS, some things to think about:

+ Fence is fantastic. Very accurate and smooth and true. Has slots in the top for mounting bolts and jigs.
- Blade guard mounts below the blade insert, and requires a wrench. It's actually very easy to pop in and out, and stays in alignment, but can turn some people off.
- The cabinet has a lot of holes which can be plugged to make dust collection really good, but out of the box it's not the best.

scott spencer
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd never even consider the Ridgid if I were thinking about the Jet...there's no comparison in quality between those two brands...

This particular Ridgid saw is new and gets much of it's technology from Steel City. It's hard to make such judgements about such a new tool. People said the same thing about the Craftsman 22124 when it first came out, and it proved to be a heck of a nice saw. Judge the tool, not the brand.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg349/Ashman_bucket/th_RidgidR4511TableSaw12_2008022.jpg
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg349/Ashman_bucket/th_RidgidR4511TableSaw12_2008029.jpg
http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/gg349/Ashman_bucket/th_RidgidR4511TableSaw12_2008023.jpg

Barry Richardson
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Yea, that new ridgid is looking might fine to me, I could take or leave the granite top, but It has all the other features I'm looking for, and a nice pricepoint:). Guess I'll wait till it's been on the street a while and see what the feedback is.

scott spencer
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Yea, that new ridgid is looking might fine to me, I could take or leave the granite top, but It has all the other features I'm looking for, and a nice pricepoint:). Guess I'll wait till it's been on the street a while and see what the feedback is.

Steel City is involved with that saw with licensing agreements, and it has Steel City features written all over it. It's very different than previous Ridgid contractor saws except for the Herculift....it should prove to be a very good saw at that price point, but time will tell.

Lori Kleinberg
12-22-2008, 2:02 PM
Scott ,I don't think that picture is the pro shop:confused:. I have one and I love it. Went from a smaller Rigid to the Jet Pro Shop and have been very happy. I don't remember the price, I could check. My ProShop has the cast iron wings and 30" rails. It was love at 1st sight:o

Chris Stolicky
12-22-2008, 3:53 PM
I purchased the JPS-30 back in January (with steel wings) and have been happy with it. I decided not to go CI back then because: 1) there was a long wait, 2) extra money, and 3) I wanted to build a router table onto the side of it anyway.

I paid $630 then, and now it is $900? Eh!

Anyways, it certainly does not have the power of some others (see a recent ww magazine test) but the fence is awesome. I don't cut a lot of thick wood, plus I have some patience for when I do. I went from a ryobi contractor saw to this. The DC is decent, but I do end up quite a bit of dust on the table - another issue, I guess.