PDA

View Full Version : Shop vac motor help

Steve Clardy
06-15-2004, 4:55 PM
My 15 year old Pow-r-Vac has bit the dust. I've searched Grainger and some others to no avail for a replacement motor.
Is has the name Lamb casted into the top portion.
#'s on the motor are-- 115vag 60 hz----757p--- and 620590F.
About a year ago I called the service number listed in the papers that came with it and found the company has bit the dust, about 15 years ago, about the time I purchased it. Bummer.
I really hate to see this one go as it has a metal 30 gallon drum and a cleanable filter cartridge. It's had lots of use.
Any ideas where I can get a motor? I haven't removed the fan unit yet.
Steve

Kevin Arceneaux
06-15-2004, 5:06 PM
Look in your phone for a motor rewind shop. They may be able to help.

Wes Bischel
06-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Steve,

Here are a few links to Surplus Center - they have one motor that looks just like yours pictured, but it's 230V, and another that is peripherally discharged

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004061521503923&item=16-1193-C&catname=electric

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004061521503923&item=16-1234&catname=electric

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004061521503923&item=16-1193-E&catname=electric

They might have more, but this is what popped up.

Good luck!

Wes

Tyler Howell
06-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Come on Steve,

Get off that matress full of money and buy a new one. I'm the first to rebuild and recycle, but its time. She's worked hard let her rest.:p

David Klink
06-15-2004, 11:47 PM
This co. is called Ametek Lamb electric. According to their site, they manufacture "high speed air moving electric motors", so that's probably more than a coincidence.

Maybe if you contacted them, they could point you in some direction that would help you out. There's pretty much no chance that motor's not manufactured any more, but perhaps they would be able to recommend something compatible.

http://www.ameteklamb.com/

Good luck....

I checked out a diagram for one of their motors, and it looks as though 620590F is a manufacture date/inspection code. 757P might be a model number. I couldn't see all the markings very well.

Just a little update.

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 7:24 AM
Come on Steve,

Get off that matress full of money and buy a new one. I'm the first to rebuild and recycle, but its time. She's worked hard let her rest.:p
Steve,

Sorry for being the PIA and don't mean to second guess a pro, but are you sure it's the motor:confused: Switches and connections will often go first. I'm on my 2nd switch and 3rd plug on my 20 yr old 30 gal. Cman Noise Maker

Steve Clardy
06-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Kevin. Rewind shop is an option I'm waiting on till last resort. Closest one is 30 miles away.
Wes. Thanks for the links and your time searching for me. I'll check them out.
David. Yes, I ran across the Ametek website, but did not come up with anything either. But I did not contact them. You are probably right on this being a one of a kind motor made for this application. I'll contact them and see what happens.
Tyler. Money under mattress? Now, when were you under there to see what I have under there? Lol. And yes, it is the motor. I have been nursing it along for a year now with oil. It has bushings in it instead of bearings, and it got to squealing, so I drilled a hole in top of it and ocassionally gave it a shot of oil to keep it humming.
Then one day my brother-in-law was cleaning up my messy shop, using the vac when I was gone, and I guess He let it squeal to much, and the motor overheated, fried one brush and the armature looks badly burnt. It still runs, but only on one brush, so it doesn't turn fast enough to have any suction.
I really hate to let this ol gal go, if you know what I mean.
I'll pursue a motor for a while. All the new ones are either lots o' moola, or are all plastic with paper cloths for filters.
Steve

Russ Filtz
06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
That looks very like the Ametek motor I bought for my whole house vac. About $80 if I remember right. Check out a local vacuum cleaner shop.

Steve Clardy
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
That looks very like the Ametek motor I bought for my whole house vac. About $80 if I remember right. Check out a local vacuum cleaner shop.
Another possible source I had not though of. Thanks Russ

Steve Clardy
06-17-2004, 6:48 PM
Well I found a new motor. After all the help from everyone, emailing Ametec, looking on Grainger, I found not one but three on Ebay!!. So I got it for $28.15 including shipping. Then, I got a email from Ametec giving me the updated part # and telling me Grainger has them. [I already looked, but under the old part #]. So out of curiosity, I have a account with Grainger, I searched the new number. Yep, they have them. $87.00 plus shipping and tax.
So I am awaiting the arrival of the Ebay one.
Thanks, Steve

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 6:57 PM
Nice work, Steve! Maybe you should've picked up 2?? :D Perhaps, now, you can fix the older one with a working one to look at?

Steve Clardy
06-17-2004, 8:03 PM
Nice work, Steve! Maybe you should've picked up 2?? :D Perhaps, now, you can fix the older one with a working one to look at?
Yea. I'm still watching the other two. They have the fan and all. But the start price is higher. So----. But they still are less than half price of what Grainger wants.

Wes Bischel
06-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Good news Steve - gotta love eBay to find just about anything.

Wes