PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a low odor gear oil

Joe Jensen
12-21-2008, 1:47 AM
I recently acquired an old MAX oscillating spindle sander. The gears run in an oil bath, and there is a vent to the outside of the machine. I want to replace the existing gear oil with something much less stinky. I love the smell of wood, and I really don't care for the old oil smell. I've been doing some reading online and it seems that the smell is due to impurities in the oil. I've also read that synthetic gear oil is only a little better.

I've thought perhaps a food service grade gear oil would be better. Does anyone have any esperience or ideas?

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2008, 3:10 AM
Joe, the synthetic I tried was FAR better smelling than the regular. In fact, I don't remember it smelling at all. Wish I knew the brand, a friend got it from his place of work. This stuff was 80-90W.

Kyle Kraft
12-21-2008, 7:06 AM
That's interesting information about oil stinking because of impurities. I always thought it was some type of sulphur compound anti-friction additive. Here is a question for the petroleum gurus...why does brand new gear oil stink right in the bottle??

Yesterday I filled a sealed gearbox with some semi-fluid synthetic gear lube...I think it was a Mobil product, red in color, looked like rasperry bismark filling. It smelled similar to the 80-90 mineral oil based gear lube.

So to answer your question, I'm not aware of any pleasant smelling gear oil. I would try disassembling and thoroughly scrubbing all the inner parts and the housing with good solvent. Reassemble and refill with new oil. I have run into some old windmill pump jacks with stinky oil and it seems that older oils turn rancid after 50 or so years.

Paul Ryan
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Joe,

Almost all rear and front differentials for vehicles being made today require some sort of semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil. If you go to any chrysler, gm or ford dealer and ask for a quart of rear diffy fluid. Either the 80-90w or 75-140 will work just fine for that machine. Now the problem is it's going to cost you. I know 1 quart of fluid for a fully floating rear axel say a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup usually runs about $30-40 now. If you go to a normal parts house like NAPA or some place like that make sure it is synthetic. A lot of guys that run those places don't know there is a synthetic gear lube. Ya they will sell you synthetic engine oil but nowt gear lube. Oh ya by the way the synthetic has basically no odor.

Edward P. Surowiec
12-22-2008, 9:11 AM
Speaking of Oil, can anyone direct me to a source for #10 W oil without detergents. I have an old Delta Scroll Saw that specifies 10W oil.
Thanks

Pete Bradley
12-22-2008, 9:36 AM
The synthetic gear oils have less stink, but they still don't smell good. Your local Pep Boys will sell them for a lot less than the dealer (and you can surreptitiously smell them ahead of time ;)).

Ed, ACE hardware stores sell a 20W non-detergent oil that works well in the old Delta 24" scrollies. I believe you need to stay away from the more modern oils due to the bronze bushing in the bottom.

Pete

Edward P. Surowiec
12-29-2008, 6:11 PM
Thank you Pete. I never would have looked in ACE for oil.
Ed

Karl Brogger
12-29-2008, 6:47 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/

I use Amsoil in virtually everything I own that requires oil. The only exception being my diesel pickup crankcase. I just can't justify spending $120 + filter for an oil change.

David DeCristoforo
12-29-2008, 7:26 PM
Get the smelly kind. The more it stinks the better it lubricates.

David Christopher
12-29-2008, 7:54 PM
I use amsoil in everything, it works great and it dont smell

Dave