PDA

View Full Version : First thing to come off my new DVR XP

Alan Trout
12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Well I have had a chance to use the new DVR XP with my heavy duty stand. First impressions is that it is very stable, no vibration at all, and very smooth. It has great power wired on the 220V, however I never used it on standard 110V so I have no comparison. I am tickled pink with its performance. I really think the effort that I put into the stand was worthwhile. I believe it made a good lathe better.

Sorry for the poor photos. These were last chance photos that I took at my mothers. I made the squased pot for a gift to give her terminally ill neighbor. I had done a bowl for my mother and the neighbor loved it so my mother ask If I would make something for her to give as a Christmas present. This is a piece of Mora. It is little less than 8 inches in diameter and is about 2 3/4" high. The finish is about 4 coats of danish oil.

Thanks,

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Alan - that is a beautiful hollow form and an absolutely wonderful gift! Your mother should be proud!

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow Alan that is a beauty. Really love the form and wood.

Don Carter
12-21-2008, 1:51 AM
Alan:
Great looking work! The long wait was worth it. I am sure there will be many more to come. Thanks for showing it. Merry Christmas to you.

All the best.

Don

Jeff Nicol
12-21-2008, 8:18 AM
Alan, That is one of my favorite shapes! I love to make the squat little vessels and the wood you chose is very pretty!

Great job!

Jeff

Chris Haas
12-21-2008, 9:08 AM
nice job, i have the hardest time getting the hard rounds to be round, you did a great job.

ROY DICK
12-21-2008, 9:16 AM
Alan,
That stand better not give any vibration, you did a great job on that.
You sure can't say no to your mother, and what a beautiful piece for the neighbor.
Very nice indeed.
Roy

Jim Kountz
12-21-2008, 9:47 AM
Wow I really like the grain in the wood, very nice job Alan!!

Toney Robertson
12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Now that is SWEET.

That lathe must work pretty good. :D

Toney

Allen Schmid
12-21-2008, 1:24 PM
Alan,
Great job on the turning! You have to love the look of the wood and very nice shape, too. As I recall you had sent along some great photos of your stand project and they really showed off your craftsmanship. Thanks for posting and here's to many more from your new lathe and stand.
Allen

Alan Trout
12-21-2008, 2:39 PM
Thanks folks for the kind words, It was a very fun first project. Having been turning on a mini/midi the speed that you can work on a larger lathe is amazing. I have turned a little on both the PM3520B and a Jet 1642 and I liked both of them but am in no way sorry I went with the DVR and built my own stand. The one thing I really like about the DVR is that I can swivel the head to the 22 degree position and hollow away from the bed without sacrificing the basic relatively small footprint of the machine Which is handy to have in my shop. Hollowing away from the bed for me is also a bit more comfortable than hanging over the bed.

Thanks,

Alan

Philip Morris
12-21-2008, 2:45 PM
Alan,
Love the form and the finish looks great. Your mom's neighbor will cherish it, I'm sure. Impressive work on the turning and your lathe stand.

Bill Bolen
12-21-2008, 4:23 PM
Form and finish are just plain sweet! Your moms meighbor is going to love it..Bill..