PDA

View Full Version : Preferred fabrics for lining jewelry boxes and ...

Dave Cohen
12-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Preferred fabrics for lining jewelry boxes and sources (besides flocking) ?

Also good sources for prefabricated ring bar cushions?

Thanks

Ron Bontz
12-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi Dave. I don't know about the ring bars. But I have been using high quality thick velvet for years. Any quality fabric shop should have several colors to choose from. I only line the bottom while the dividers are all sanded and finished with several coats of laquer. I have seen some "high quality" (expensive) jewelry boxes using suede. Best of luck.:)

Kyle Kraft
12-21-2008, 7:11 AM
Ditto. I lined a jewelry box with some nice velvet from Hobby Lobby. Make an insert from 1/8" hardboard that's slightly smaller in length and width than the inside dimensions of the drawer. Cover the insert with the velvet wrapping it around the edges and secure it with a bead of hot glue. Shove it down to the bottom of the drawer and you're done. You can easily change the color of the liner by peeling out the old and making a new one.

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 9:56 AM
Dave,

I have purchased the ring bars from rockler. They only have a few basic colors. They look nice and work fine but they are very rigid and not very comfortable to touch IMO. I have seen nice ones used by jewelers and silversmiths at craft shows but have never tried to track down their sources. There is a large outfit that supplies jewlers and silversmiths call Rio Grande that would probably have somthing but you have to get an account with them (they do cash accounts you just need to tell them your an artist when you open up).

www.riogrande.com

Rob Noble
12-21-2008, 4:30 PM
I used to cut stones........something I want to get back into.