PDA

View Full Version : You guys like Bluegrass Music??

Jim Kountz
12-20-2008, 8:45 PM
Hey just thought Id see if there were any other pickin creekers here. This is a video of my band Lonesome Highway. We started the band about 11 years ago and enjoy a good east coast following. The members are Tom Suddath on bass, me on mandolin, Buddy Dunlap guitar and the other founding member John Arnold on Banjo.
Let me know what you think!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlKJotQ8_QA&feature=channel_page

Mike Langford
12-21-2008, 2:52 AM
Soundin' Good! I like your voice.....you're tearin' up that mandolin too!
What brand/year mando do you play....It's got a good woody chop

I believe I've heard your band on my favorite radio station...WNCW...in Spindale, NC (they play 8 hrs. of bluegrass every Sat. from 11am to 7pm) If the radio's on in the shop it's tuned to WNCW

Have y'all got any CDs out?

Tim Morton
12-21-2008, 8:37 AM
i agree..sounding great, and this coming from a yankee who's idea of blue grass is Bela Fleck:D

Andrew Nemeth
12-21-2008, 9:42 AM
You sure can be proud of that. Thanks for sharing.

Al Wasser
12-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Do you have any CD's out? If so where to get one?

Gene O. Carpenter
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
ehhaaaa! Makes me think of home, down in Ky by Renfro Valley! Kick it slim......Nice sound!
Gene

Barry Richardson
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Jim, That was excellent! Your band sounds very accomplished! I'm a bigtime bluegrass and old-timey music fan (Doc Watson is my absolute fav) . I grew up, and my parents still live, about 10 miles from the Sally Mountain park in North Missouri. I try and catch the bluegrass festivals there every time I can. Rhonda Vincent is from the same area, and plays the festival (her parents are the organizers). I caught a free concert she put on last summer in my hometown of Unionville MO. She's a distant relative of mine in some way, of course in that area, about everyone is a relative;). Gotta ask, what takes most of your time; woodworking or bluegrass jammin?

Mike Cutler
12-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Nice stuff!

You guys are very tight.I watched some of the other vid's and noticed that you all took turns fronting, which is nice. One of the vid's has you guys doing a three part harmony that sounded really nice.

Well done, it's evident that a lot of work has gone into your band.

Jim Becker
12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Awesome!!!! That's just wonderful stuff, Jim. Thanks for sharing it with the SMC Community, too...now I gotta go listen to a few more. LOL

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Jim - that was amazing!

I don't consider myself a Blue Grass fan but good music is good music and I found myself watching all of your vids - then calling the wife in and watching them all again! Very impressive!

Don't know if you guys tour or not but here is a site for you to check out for a local event we have up here. They draw some fairly big names and it might be something for you to consider: http://www.hiawathamusic.org/

Found you guys very entertaining! Wish you all the best with the band! Thanks for sharing!

Jim Kountz
12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Soundin' Good! I like your voice.....you're tearin' up that mandolin too!
What brand/year mando do you play....It's got a good woody chop

I believe I've heard your band on my favorite radio station...WNCW...in Spindale, NC (they play 8 hrs. of bluegrass every Sat. from 11am to 7pm) If the radio's on in the shop it's tuned to WNCW

Have y'all got any CDs out?

Thanks Mike!
Im playing a handmade F5 style mandolin built by a guy in VA by the name of Scott Cary. This thing is awesome! Its only like the 5th one hes made and I think hes up to 14 or 15 now. The tone is just unreal and it plays really easy. It actually belongs to our guitar player Buddy Dunlap. I have another handmade from a guy named Buddy Davis and its actually louder and woodier than the Cary model but it plays harder.
Very good possibility you heard us down there in NC. A few years ago we did a tour through there and down to Atlanta. Did a couple of radio shows and sold a bunch of Cd's.

Jim Kountz
12-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Do you have any CD's out? If so where to get one?
Sure do Al! We have a website its (www lhway com) Right now we do not have online payment but you can contact me or John via the website and we can get one to you. Thanks!

Jim Kountz
12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. We're working on a new recording right now and hope to have it out sometime in early March. Can you believe the guitar player is only 23 and has only been playing about 6 years now? A few years ago when we first met him he couldnt pick his nose. Then it was like overnight he just came into his own. We all play multiple instruments and everyone does vocals so it gives us alot of versatility. We do it mostly for fun but at the same time its a business for us and we treat it as so without losing the fun part. If I couldnt have fun doing it I would quit!!

PS: we usually dress a little better than we are in the video I posted. It was almost 100 that day and the AC on our bus was broke so we didnt change!!

Jim Kountz
12-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Jim - that was amazing!

I don't consider myself a Blue Grass fan but good music is good music and I found myself watching all of your vids - then calling the wife in and watching them all again! Very impressive!

Don't know if you guys tour or not but here is a site for you to check out for a local event we have up here. They draw some fairly big names and it might be something for you to consider: http://www.hiawathamusic.org/

Found you guys very entertaining! Wish you all the best with the band! Thanks for sharing!

Steve, thanks! We are always looking for new places to play and we do tour during the summer. Have bus will travel!! We'll give these folks a shout and see what comes of it, thanks again!