PDA

View Full Version : Followup: picked up the used Oneida cyclone today

bob cohen
12-20-2008, 7:08 PM
Phew, the cyclone is in my basement. Woke up a 5 AM, drove 300 miles to St. Louis, watched the cyclone in action, dismantled it, drove home, and hauled it down to my basement. The real fun will begin tomorrow, but I can tell you now I am totally impressed with the quality of the unit. As I said in the earlier post, its a 2001 3 HP oneida, with a Leeson motor. All seems to be in excellent shape. IThe purchase price ($800) included two 8 inch elbows, about 12 ft of 8 ft pipe, two 8X7X7 wyes, and four 7 inch elbows. I'll try to read all of the install posts tonight and get the motor hung tomorrow. After that I plan to go slowly and order piping and gates as I need them--I already learned that much from advance reading of prior posts. Yes, yes, I will post pictures and pointers as the project unfolds. Thanks for convincing me to buy the unit!. I feel like it was a good move, even for my smallish shop (17' X 35') and no huge dust producers.

Rob Cooper
12-20-2008, 7:27 PM
Congratulations on a good deal and smart tool. I have had a new 2.5 hp gorilla installed for only a couple of months. It is a beast and I don't think a few years of use would effect performance at all. My ductwork installation is ongoing with a few do-overs so far. Ductwork installlation has made me rethink the overall shop layout. As you mentioned, looking over past threads will be helpful. One thing I will add is the cyclone and ductwork installation takes over the entire shop. I could'nt even find my workbench for a week!

Gary Lange
12-20-2008, 7:41 PM
That will be some serious Dust Collection once it is set up and running. Congratulations on a great deal.

Sonny Edmonds
12-20-2008, 10:12 PM
12 feet of 8 foot pipe!
Man that is some big pipe!
Isn't that going to take up a lot of room? :D

Phil Thien
12-20-2008, 11:05 PM
12 feet of 8 foot pipe!
Man that is some big pipe!
Isn't that going to take up a lot of room? :D

You put your table saw INSIDE the pipe.

NO dust escapes. :D

Chip Lindley
12-21-2008, 9:26 AM
Hey! The guy is a bit zonked from driving 300 miles for an $800 bargain! And now the adrenaline is leaving him! Give him a break with the 8ft pipe thing!

Contrats Bob! For a shop the size of yours, the 3hp Oneida will be all you ever need! And if you ever upsize..the Oneida can go up with you. Enjoy!!

John Keeton
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Excellent buy Bob, and you are correct on going slowly with this as you will change your mind several times.

I would start, though, with a reassessment of your shop layout and tool placement. Now is the time to make any changes that may be relevant.

Good luck, and Merrry Christmas to yourself for a well thought out "self-gift."

Jim Becker
12-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Good deal, Bob! It's nice that it came with those duct components as they will get you started for your initial main run quite nicely.

But..."no pictures...it didn't happen"... LOL ;) :D