PDA

View Full Version : One Tool Today

Chris Schumann
12-20-2008, 5:55 PM
In my shop, I have Jet power tools: 14" bandsaw, contractor table saw, 6" jointer. I like them all.

But today, I only touched a nice Taylor... snow shovel. Nice ergonomic curvy handle and pretty sharp plastic leading edge. The sidewalk constantly grinds a new edge on it. Sure some surface work could be done, but I usually let the sun finish that up, even if it takes a week.

Stay warm and dry.

Dewey Torres
12-20-2008, 6:00 PM
Great tools come in many shapes, sizes, types. Sounds like you have discovered good find.

Bruce Haugen
12-20-2008, 6:23 PM
LV medium shoulder plane, 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" Berg chisels

oh yeah, and an 8-24 Toro snow blower to take care of the white partly cloudy

Bruce, in Hutchinson MN

Jack Norfleet
12-20-2008, 6:37 PM
what the heck is a snow shovel and snow blower for? It was 80 and sunny today, perfect holiday weather.

Narayan Nayar
12-20-2008, 7:30 PM
Chris,

The real question is: is it a bevel-up or a bevel-down shovel?

:D

John Sanford
12-20-2008, 9:22 PM
Oddly enough, yesterday I put my mitts on a shovel for moving snow as well. Unlike you though, mine was just a plain old D-handle flat shovel. Not much call for snow shovels hereabouts, (last time was more than 5 years ago!) yet there I was, clearing it from in front of my garage door. Loaned it out to a neighbor today.

I also used my Bosch driver, Milwaukee drill, Delta Contractor's saw, Rotozip, PM jointer, Delta planer w/ DC, pair of hammers, cat's claw, LN block plane, Preppin' Weapon, shopvac, Bosch router, and a back saw. whew! No chisels yesterday or today though...

Unfortunately, its too darn cold out there now to glue the edging onto the storage roll-away/assembly table critter I've been building. Grrrrr.... and brrrrr.....

A good day in the shop! :cool:

Chris Schumann
12-20-2008, 9:43 PM
bevel-up or a bevel-down
Bevel down, as the sidewalk (what's that, 20grit? 25?) keeps grinding that edge pretty flat. Scary sharp it's not.

Gary Herrmann
12-20-2008, 9:55 PM
Two tools today. Backpack blower and a rake. Spent 4 hours getting the leaves off the lawn and out of the beds. We have so many trees you couldn't see the lawn at all. Hmm. If I left them, that might solve two problems...

Thomas Knighton
12-21-2008, 6:24 AM
what the heck is a snow shovel and snow blower for? It was 80 and sunny today, perfect holiday weather.

I'm right there with ya Jack. Apparently, a snow shovel and snow blower is for the removal of this cold white stuff called snow that falls to Earth every winter in large parts of the country. I'd almost call it mythical, but I see it on the news on a regular basis.:D

The last time we saw traces of snow was 2000...and it wasn't enough to count for anything ;)

Tom

Dave Anderson NH
12-21-2008, 8:37 AM
Even though this is the Neander side of things I'll admit I got a power tool workout yesterday. My Simplicity 8hp snowblower got its second use of the season. 4" on Wednesday, a foot Friday afternoon and evening, and today we will be getting between 9-15". We'll have our normal white Christmas.

To keep things on the up and up for our Neander forum, I did spend time in the bench room yesterday assembling plane adjusting hammers and using my carcass saw to cut the last of the new baseboard trim for the dining room.

dan grant
12-21-2008, 9:03 AM
-48 with the wind this morning,:( what a bummer

Matt Edwards
12-21-2008, 11:12 AM
-8 with -28+ with wind chill here. At least the shop is warm, if I can muster up the gumption to make the 20 steps to get to it:eek:.

Nice thing about Mid-wastern weather, it ALWAYS changes.

Matt

Mike Cutler
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
26 HP John Deere 540, with a 48" plow. Looks like I get to use it today again. Blade is definitely bevel down, throat is wide open.

Thomas
The snow shovel was the invention of the puritans to help us find religion. With each bend, scoop, twist, and throw, even the hardiest of sinners has been known to pray the mantra. "Jesus that hurts, Jesus that hurts, oh my god, Jesus that hurts......."
After which they take vows to get in shape.:D,;)

Jim Becker
12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
The real question is: is it a bevel-up or a bevel-down shovel?

Oh, my...great question! :D :D :D

John Schreiber
12-21-2008, 12:24 PM
We need a new tool. It's the way the grain changes on the concrete sidewalk which causes the most problems. We needs something which can still remove a 6 - 12" shaving, but which won't get caught on a 1/8" bump for the next section of sidewalk.