PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder

Scott Donley
12-20-2008, 5:45 PM
In this busy time, those of us that live in a cold, snowy, icy, area of the country, remember the elderly. If you have an elderly neighbor you might just check in on them. Maybe a simple trip taking them to the store might make their day as well as yours. Good wishes to all ;)

Dewey Torres
12-20-2008, 5:48 PM
Good point Scott. I am sure the creek has it's fair share of good Samaritans. Thanks for reminder.

David G Baker
12-20-2008, 6:01 PM
Not sure if I qualify as elderly yet but I sure wished I had some help with the four hours it took to clear my driveway of over 12 inches of snow yesterday. I used the snow thrower first then the back blade on my John Deere to clear the three inches of snow that fell as I was doing the snow throwing.
Actually there is a neighbor that has a snow plow on his truck and he frequently plows the elderly folks drive way. We do a fair job of watching out for each other.
I heard rumors that Washington got one heap of a lot of snow, 36 inches or more in places. We have around 24 inches sitting and a lot more on the way according to the weather man.

Phyllis Meyer
12-22-2008, 7:21 PM
Scott,

The elderly are in my heart especially this time of year! My husband and I were caregivers to my Mom & Stepfather until they both passed away. I think about all the folks that don't have someone to look after them and people don't realize that they get lost in the community. Please everyone, check in on them and what a Blessing you would be if you could run an errand, pick up something for them, shovel...

Thank you Scott for the reminder.
Sincerely,
Phyllis

Jerry Olexa
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Very worthy post. Nice of you to think of elderly often neglected folks... Good post

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reminder Scott.

So far, in the past 6 weeks, my family and I have cut, split, hauled, and stacked 2 tailer loads of firewood for 2 different elderly widows who didn't have enough money to buy propane for heat this year and didn't have any way to get wood for their woodstoves to heat with. A lot of our splitting is done by hand, I wish I had a hydraulic splitter, but I make do with what I have.

Sometimes, all it takes is a load of firewood or even a box of groceries. Sometimes.....it just takes caring enough to visit for a bit.

Belinda Barfield
12-23-2008, 8:25 AM
Good post Scott. Also, please remember those in nursing homes. Many patients don't have family, or the family doesn't visit. As Dennis said, sometimes all you need to give is time.