PDA

View Full Version : I can now raise and low the Old Craftsman DP table.

Bill Huber
12-20-2008, 5:37 PM
I have an older Craftsman drill press, got it around 1972 and it has served me very well.

But there is no crank to raise or lower the table and its can be a real bear to pull it up at times. It is even worse now with the added table and fence.

So after trying different things that were suggested here and form others I just use a jack, it works really nice.

I know that a 3000 lb cap. jack is a little over kill but it works. I got the jack at HF for $50 and it is worth every penny of it. I had to do nothing to the DP or the jack, it just fits under the table just like it was made for it.

Brian Backner
12-20-2008, 5:56 PM
Bill,

What a great idea!

I too have an early 70's vintage 15-1/2" Craftsmen DP and had been thinking about how to adapt a crank, or something, to it as I plan to install a large auxiliary table for an upcoming project.

Not only a good idea, but with perfect timing. Now if the snow in New England lets up sometime in the next week, I can bop down to the local HF store and pick one up!

Brian

Adam Slutsky
12-20-2008, 7:31 PM
I too have an older craftsman that is a great machine but I dread having to adjust the table height since it is really a pita. I was thinking about using an old crank and threaded rod but I like your idea. Thanks for sharing!

Dewey Torres
12-20-2008, 9:19 PM
Bill,
Your ingenuity and resourcefulness never ceases to amaze me!

Paul Atkins
12-20-2008, 9:43 PM
Mine is the same one I bet, drives me nuts. I was thinking of springs or counter balance on a cable or old garage door opener --- This seems the simplest. Thanks

John Bush
12-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I have the same vintage Craftsman DP and was having the issue of wanting to keep my vertebrae in their proper alignment. I looked at a lot of other machines and none looked as good as what a I have , so I got a $19.00 trailer tongue jack and bolted it to the post, removed the wheel and up we go. I have yet to attach the wheel yoke to the bottom of the table but it works great. I must add that this totally brilliant idea was borrowed from another C-man DP owner. Can get pics if interested. JCB.

Mike Wilkins
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the idea. I have a 70's era Rockwell DP with no height adjusting crank. The added weight of the DP table makes it a real workout to raise and lower the table.

Vince Shriver
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Bill, you are a clever man. Very ingenious.

Jules Dominguez
12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
You can also reduce the frequency of having to to raise the table to accommodate your shortest drill bits by putting a piece or two of scrap plywood or MDF under the workpiece.

Charlie Velasquez
12-23-2008, 7:34 AM
I have an older Craftsman drill press, got it around 1972 and it has served me very well.

I too have that drill press. Does anyone know where i can find the optional tilting table that fits on the other side? I have been checking Ebay for a while and I never see that item.

Douglas Brummett
12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Love the ingenuity there. Only issue I would watch for is racking and stiction at the column. If it racked that cylinder could crack the cast iron. So long as it is clean and lubed I don't think you got anything to worry about.