PDA

View Full Version : which one or both

charlie knighton
12-20-2008, 4:17 PM
which one or both to you like...... galleries or craft shows? :cool:

robert hainstock
12-20-2008, 6:24 PM
There are good and not so good craft shows. I suspect that same thing applies to galleries. I believe te gallery will expect a higher degree of artistic w0rkmanship. :)
Bob

Richard Madison
12-20-2008, 7:01 PM
Craft shows can be a hassle, but you get all the money. Galleries are much less hassle, but you only get part of the money.

If you are a "people" person, it can be fun to talk with the various people you meet at craft shows.

My wife and her friend do a few shows a year, and I frequent the receptions held by my small local gallery for their featured artist of the month.

Whatever floats your boat.

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2008, 7:07 PM
Charlie sometimes I think it is the area. For me I have did 8 to 9 times better at a Gallery than at Craft shows both this year and last year. At 2 craft shows this year I sold a total of $122. None of the turners did very well either at the craft shows. By the way the Gallery share is 30% but I don't have to lift a finger. She displays it, prices it and does all the paperwork.

Jim Kountz
12-20-2008, 8:06 PM
By the way the Gallery share is 30% but I don't have to lift a finger. She displays it, prices it and does all the paperwork.

I think thats a great deal myself, and besides, yes its true that at a craft show you generally keep your profits, there are entry fees and travel to and from the show. I did one years ago (not for turnings) and by the time I got me and my setup there, paid for a room for two nights and the entry fees I was in the hole for over $500. At that rate Bernie here could do over $1600 before he would be in that far. If I sold $1600 worth of my turnings I would gladly give someone their 30% to do what Bernie said the Arts center is doing for him.

George Guadiane
12-20-2008, 8:23 PM
I LOVE doing art/craft shows (not that I've done so many), I like the contact with the people, trying to figure out which ones are "impressed" and potential buyers, and which are fellow turners (I probably enjoy talking to them more, even if they don't make me any money).

That said, I'm thinking SHOP, because:
Times are tough, and while I will continue to do a few SELECT shows in my area, I don't know if the economy will allow us much in the way of success.
IF you sell an item, you don't have a lot spent on booth rent, and you can be turning while the gallery owner is selling.
I have my entire inventory - about 25 pieces, in a local shop. Sold a few pieces, the rest are taking up space with a chance to sell, as opposed to in tubs under tables at home.

I'll be glad when the economy is better again, I'd rather meet the people who will be taking my "children" home with them, but for now, it's the gallery/store/shop for me.

Jeff Nicol
12-20-2008, 9:35 PM
I have things is a nice gallery and a local consignment shop and do well at both. I sold all the ornaments that I took to the little shop here in town and I am making more for the last minute shoppers! I missed out on 5 sales today because I did not have any in the shop! Bummer!! I do well on e-bay but I don't start them out very high in price and let the piece sell itself.

So far this year my sales have bought me a new steel city mini lathe, the Mcnaughton system, a PSI barracuda II chuck, three new gouges, and a big box of turning blanks from Rockler's 50% table! Can't wait for Decembers checks!

Not getting rich but sure is fun!

Good luck with what ever venue you chose, and have a Wonderful Holiday season!

Jeff

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-22-2008, 8:32 PM
I do Art Galleries as well as an ART/Farmers Market and Art shows. You'll note "NO CRAFT SHOWS." Since I do not show anything priced below $25.00, I would not do well at them. I have also been told that the quality is too good for them. The best money maker for me this year was the Art Shows.

Bruce

Reed Gray
12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I prefer the shows. I have a lot of fun doing them, talking to people (most of those who stop in your booth seem to be other woodworkers), and the shows are fun in general. Especially if you are doing well at them. It is as much of a science of picking shows as it is figuring out how to cut a piece of wood and drying it. For the galleries that have approached me (I have never gone to a gallery to ask, but some of them do go to shows to see what is out there), they all want pieces on consignment. I have trouble keeping stock up without handing out pieces to see if they might sell. If they want to buy, 30 days net, then fine. I have 2 places that carry my stuff this way. I just prefer to deal with the person who will buy and use what I make. It helps me figure out what they want. It is another good way to make wood contacts.
robo hippy

charlie knighton
12-23-2008, 1:57 AM
Reed,

i will aspire to be that well though of

If they want to buy, 30 days net, then fine. I have 2 places that carry my stuff this way. :eek:

that is the first time i have heard of someone who can do that, definitly something to set as a goal

Wyatt Holm
12-25-2008, 2:23 PM
This is kind of a different subject, but where are all the nice galleries?
Wyatt