PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Bowl Storage

Jim Kountz
12-20-2008, 2:55 PM
Ok so Im a dummy and didnt realize that my bucket of DNA was low. Now Ive roughed out a bowl and theres only enough DNA in the bucket to cover about 1" of so and the bowl is about 5" deep. So I put the bowl in there and filled the rest of the bucket up with the fresh shavings until I can get to the store tomorrow and get some more DNA. Do you think this is ok or is there a better solution? Any risk of spontaneous combustion with the DNA in the bottom of the bucket and the shavings on top? I put it outside just in case but I dont really know. Help??!!

Thanks!

Jim

PS its a hard maple bowl if that makes any difference.

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2008, 5:02 PM
Jim - have had the same situation happen a couple of times myself. Simple solution is to place the bowl in a plastic grocery bag and close it up so the moisture doesn't escape. Remember, it's the sudden loss of moisture that causes a bowl to crack.

When you pick up more DNA (in a day or 3) - your bowl will be fine as none of it's moisture was lost while in the plastic bag.

Jack Mincey
12-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Jim,
I used DNA for a few months once, I even have a five gallon can of it that has never been used. I just didn't like it. I turn my rough outs to a even wall thickness and put them in a paper bag for 2 or 3 months. I check them every day for the first couple of weeks and if a check starts I hit it with a little thin CA. If my roughed out bowls go into the bag without cracks almost all of them come out that way. I've had two roughed bowls that I had to just return to finial thickness two days after I put them in the bag. They had the pith in them. Those are the only two out of over 30 of my last bowls that I had a problem with using this method. I also use this method with my high school students and they have fair success. Even wall thickness and crack free blanks are very important. I've turned some really large blanks down to small bowls just to get down on of surface checks.
Good Luck
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2008, 6:11 PM
Jim, Steve hit the nail on the head. Wrap it in a plastic bag and tie it shut till you can get some DNA. I have left them on the lathe when I have been called into work. I just wrapped the blank and tied it shut tight. Haven't had a problem yet.

Jim Kountz
12-20-2008, 6:37 PM
Thanks guys, its all wrapped up awaiting its alky bath!!