PDA

View Full Version : Minimax Bandsaws

Ken Heinz
12-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I am in the market for a new bandsaw and have narrowed it down to a Minimax. My question is in all the posts I notice all you guys say you have the MM16, do you have the model MM16 or are you using the mm to mean minimax. I am looking at the E16 model.

peter kolb
12-20-2008, 1:17 PM
Ken, MM16 is a model number for a bandsaw. Minimax has/had a model with an "E" in the model designation. I'm not sure maybe 16E (?) Peter

Luther Oswalt
12-20-2008, 1:29 PM
Ken - They (MinMax) have a Christmas sale going on right now and it covers BandSaws!
Leo

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2008, 1:54 PM
Ken, the E16 and the MM16 are both in the MiniMax line up. The E16 is the entry model and replaced the S16 from years back. It is a lighter model than the MM16. 12" resaw, 2.5 hp motor, but it is made in the same factory now, where the S16 was made by Meber and rebadged. In fact the S16 was marketed by Laguna for years under their model numbering system.
While it is not an MM16 by any stretch, it is a nice machine. And though I've had my E16 for 3 1/2 years now, I still haven't used it a lot. I fought getting the 1/4" blade to track where I thought it should track. I now know it is one of the smaller blades that should track in the center of the tire. I need to redo my adjustments to make it track there again. I have my 3/4" blade on it right now, and I can track it perfectly with the gullets right on the edge of the wheels/tires.
The only downfalls I see to this machine are the miter slot in the table (it is not the normal depth, so a aftermarket miter guage is not going to fit. Not that big of a deal, as I don't see me using a miter guage on the BS that often) and the tension crank knob is too small to get a really good tension on a big blade...seemed ok for the 1/4" blade). I haven't done any re-sawing of wide boards yet, but did cut a 3/4" X 3/4" 3' long piece of red oak in half length wise last weekend, and it sliced it right down the center. Didn't leave a finished edge, but then I've still got the factory Olsen blades.
Powerful motor, more than other saws in it's category. I still would like to have the MM16, and in fact after seeing the S16 at a wood show, decided for the extra $800.00, at that time, to save for it. But got a smoking deal on the E16 when it was first introduced and couldn't pass it up. Hope this helps! Jim.

Bruce Page
12-20-2008, 2:01 PM
Ken, I believe people are referring to the model MM16 which is different from the model E16.
As Luther points out, MiniMax is having a sale and also had some reconditioned machines including the MM16.

Bill Fleming
12-20-2008, 2:46 PM
Ken - I have the MM16 MiniMax and love it - I looked at both models when I was purchasing 3 years ago and I think I went with the MM16 because it was heavier, larger resaw capacity and foot brake.

I would take advantage of the current sale and go with the MM16

Cheers - Bill

Ken Heinz
12-20-2008, 2:47 PM
Thanks for all the info

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-20-2008, 3:20 PM
the MM16 is often referred to as the gold standard for band saws.

Walt Caza
12-20-2008, 3:25 PM
Hi Ken,
Yep..... what Cliff said!
I got mine, and suggest you get yours...
fantastic workhorse!
I went with the MM16, but am sure the other model is a good saw too!

Good luck with your bandsaw shopping,
see you in the sawdust,
Walt

ps I have, like and use the footbrake every time.
If I am reaching in, or walking away, I like the blade to have stopped moving first.
I witnessed a bs amputation at age 12, and carry those lessons forward.

Dewey Torres
12-20-2008, 3:26 PM
the MM16 is often referred to as the gold standard for band saws.

Cliff,
I love you man but the "Gold Standard" does and always will belong to POWERMATIC. The Minimax may be a better saw but Powermatic has already coined that slogan.

Ken,
FYI... MOD Jim Becker and other Creekers have a MM16 and will soon answer this post I am sure.

Jim Becker
12-20-2008, 5:49 PM
The MM16 and E16 are two different models; the latter is a lighter duty machine that the MM16, but also significantly less costly to purchase.

I own a circa 2003 MM16...back when they came with 12" resaw height and a 3.8hp motor. The current version has 16" resaw height and a 4.8hp motor.

Butch Spears
12-20-2008, 7:08 PM
I have the current model MM16 with the 16" resaw and the 4.8 motor, Great machine and Great people to do business with. Call and talk to Sam he will take care of you.

Rick Fisher
12-21-2008, 3:09 AM
Mini Max is pretty much the top of the heap in Bandsaws. They are made by Centauro in Italy.

http://www.centaurospa.it/catalogo.php

They are arguably one of the top 3 manufacturers of bandsaws in the world. The big advantage of Mini Max is the support behind them in the USA.

They make different lines of product. The E series is the lightweight unit.

If you can swing an MM-16 or MM-20, you will never regret it. You will also own something very sought after and easy to sell.

Centauro has three series of saws, the SP, CO and CL. I believe the MM is from the CO lineage which is the middle weight machines and way overboard for home use :D

I believe, but am not positive that the E series are made by ACM Star? The MiniMax dealer in Canada sells them as a better priced unit. Either way, they are top end machines.

When you really look at them, you see all sorts of parts that dont do much and could easily have been smaller or lighter, instead they are overbuilt, thick steel.

Jim Becker
12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Rick, I believe the E16 is also made by Centauro.

Rick Fisher
12-21-2008, 2:37 PM
Jim, I am sure your right. Eurotech, the SCMI dealer up here has an ACM bandsaw which looks like the E16. I always kinda wondered if it was that saw..

The lineup of saws is different up here, they arent custom built as they are in the USA.

William Addison
12-21-2008, 2:56 PM
Last time I dared imply the MM was less than perfect everything from my manhood to my intelligence was called into question but I offer the following observations-

It is a good saw, probably one of the best out there but it's not perfect. I will allow that the problems I've had since I got mine running have been minor and there are several things, such as the guides, that are a matter of preference.

I found support to be a lot less than great-maybe barely adequate.

The instruction book was written by a retard but I don't really need to know more than design quirks. I do think the lack of a parts schematic is a big deal and it has never been done properly in spite of promises from MM. I've been in the WW'ing industry and we used parts schematics and were glad to have them. Saying it doesn't need a manual and parts lists with names and numbers because it's "industrial," which at it's size it's not, is ridiculous.

I'd like to see it head to head against the Griz 636 or the soon-to be-released Powermatic, which will probably be delivered in an armored car because of it's price.

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2008, 4:24 PM
I think the E16 is the same as the Centauro SP400, IIRC. May have a different size motor. Jim.

Frank Drew
12-21-2008, 4:57 PM
Gold standard in band saws? Geez, I would have thought that Tannewitz had that title all sewn up.

:D

Mike Heidrick
12-21-2008, 5:17 PM
I have a MiniMax MM20 (thanks to a member here on SMC). One of the best bandsaw I have ever personally seen. I have seen the new powermatic at IWF. It has some nice add-ons but I do not believe the wheels on it are better than the MM by far. It was shiny and if I can buy that fence seperately I would love to add it to the MM20 but I for sure will not upgrade it. The new powermatic also has quick tensioning but I did not get to play with it. I doubt any big three bandsaw owners will be upgrading IMO.

David DeCristoforo
12-21-2008, 5:30 PM
So sorry but this is the "gold standard" for bandsaws!

http://www.tannewitz.com/tannwood/prod02.asp

Mike Heidrick
12-21-2008, 5:34 PM
TANNEWITZ MODEL GH:Woodworking band saw, 5hp, blade speed 8400 FPM, 35 ½" throat capacity, 20" under guide capacity, 36" x 37" main table, table tilts 45 right & 5 left, auxiliary table 16" x 19", Tannewitz guides, mechanical brakes.Rebuilt like new - 6 month warranty:New $22,000 - Rebuilt: $15,000

John Bailey
12-21-2008, 6:42 PM
I'm kinda' partial to this:

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/bandsaws/36deluxe.htm

Probably should call this the Green Standard.

John

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2008, 6:58 PM
TANNEWITZ MODEL GH:Woodworking band saw, 5hp, blade speed 8400 FPM, 35 ½" throat capacity, 20" under guide capacity, 36" x 37" main table, table tilts 45 right & 5 left, auxiliary table 16" x 19", Tannewitz guides, mechanical brakes.Rebuilt like new - 6 month warranty:New $22,000 - Rebuilt: $15,000

I have a 36" Oliver that ran at that speed when I got it, and you talk about a screaming fast blade. I scared me a bit, so I changed pulleys to get it to 5000ish sfpm.

I'll jump on the big iron bandwagon while it's here loading passengers, and throw this in the mix, there are plenty of great used Tannewitz type saws out there that need a good home. Nothing new compares to these old animals, except for Tannewitz, IMHO.

MM is nice, but where is the character?

David DeCristoforo
12-21-2008, 7:21 PM
"I'm kinda' partial to this: http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...s/36deluxe.htm"

Not bad but cast iron rules!

Rick Fisher
12-21-2008, 8:03 PM
http://www.centaurospa.it/scheda.php?id=102

Apples to apples, this Centauro is in the same league. 40" wheels 39" throat, 22hp motor, built in feeding system..

At 4600 lbs, its a contender for the ulitmate bandsaw..

Watch this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6xt9W9fRY

Bruce Page
12-21-2008, 8:55 PM
So sorry but this is the "gold standard" for bandsaws!

http://www.tannewitz.com/tannwood/prod02.asp

That Tannie is nice but I'd take this 36" Yates-American in a heartbeat. :cool:

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2008, 9:34 PM
All this from asking about the difference between a MM16 and an E16?? :D
Ken, let me know if you'd like a picture of anything in particular on the E16. I can try to get a picture for you. Others can do that with the MM16 too if that will help you.
Biggest difference in the new MM16 and the E16 will be the motor and the weight. The latter of which correlates to the stiffness of the saw's back bone and therefore how well it can tension a big blade, and how smooth (lack of vibration) it runs. What kind of work will you be doing with the bandsaw? If primarily cutting curves in thin wood, I don't think anyone would say the MM16 would be required. (wanted, yes, but not required) If you are going to be cutting veneers out of wide hard woods, the get the biggest one you can afford. The weight, strength, muscle and resaw ability will be appreciated. Jim.

David DeCristoforo
12-21-2008, 9:37 PM
"Ken, let me know if you'd like a picture..."

Go to MM's web site. Click on "Bandsaws" Compare. Heck, I'll do it for ya:

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=35

Bruce, that is a sweet YA. The Tannewitz just has that "classic" look... like a 50's Hudson.

Simon Dupay
12-22-2008, 1:41 AM

John
I'd have to 2ed that!:D

Wilbur Pan
12-22-2008, 9:28 AM

John

Or, you could just call it Gumby. ;)

John Hedges
12-22-2008, 9:39 AM
The only downfalls I see to this machine are the miter slot in the table (it is not the normal depth, so a aftermarket miter guage is not going to fit.

Jim, Eagle tools sells a very nice miter gauge to fit the euro sized slot. I got one with my Agazzani and find myself using it all the time.

Jim O'Dell
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
John, I think the E16 is different than the MM series. I believe a standard miterguage fits them. The E16 width is fine, but it is a shallow slot. Jim.

lou sansone
12-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I have seen the tanny and the Northfield. good machines. I like the tanny better. the Yates is a beauty - have not seen one in person. I have a moak 36" and even though I own it, after going through the Northfield and tanny, I like the moak better. In my mind the northfield uses much less cast iron than the moak. the tanny is about the same. the oliver is probably one better then all of them because they have a vulcanized tire on the rim. which I think runs truer than the carter wheels that most of the other guys run ( moak tanny and northfield I believe ). Actually the best BS I have ever seen is Alan turners Zimmerman. that is a machine to behold

Lou

Rick Fisher
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
This is all a clever plot to get you to buy the MM-16. :)

james bell
12-24-2008, 9:13 AM
I got the MM16 last year and love it. The only problem was it started up once and then quit. I rechecked my wiring thoroughly which was correct. Turns out the microswitch on the foot brake was set wrong. Unfortunately, the allen bolt for the adjustment was not easily accessible and also torqued too tight.

Called the factory and they walked me through virtually tearing down the whole machine to get to this bolt. I opted for putting a piece of velco (padding) on the switch which has functioned for the past year. Other than that, great machine - though I wish MM would sell threaded casters. Hard to find since they are metric (Grizzly has some metric but not the right thread pitch).