PDA

View Full Version : Any Bartley customers?

Chris Oakley
03-14-2003, 2:58 PM
Anyone ever purchased an antique reproduction furniture kit from Bartley? I just got their catalog and found a couple of things that look interesting.

Rob Russell
03-14-2003, 3:56 PM
Years ago (like 15 years ago), my parents gave us a kit for the Flattop Highboy in mahogany. It still isn't complete yet. When I finally went to start it, I discovered that there were some pieces mis-milled. Great sez I - I'll fix them myself. Never finished it. It's the first "furniture" project I'll be doing after the house trim project. That I've committed to for my peace of mind, my Mom's memory and my Dad and wife's enjoyment.

The kit is good quality. They supply a reasonable quantity of finish. Assembly seems pretty straightforwards. The thing I've realized is that a major part of what I like about woodworking is designing the project, figuring out how to mill the pieces and actually making sawdust and by doing more than just sanding/scraping for finish. OK - I'll confess - I like playing with the machinery.

If what you want is the ability to assemble a kit and finish it - the Bartley stuff is great quality. The finish is what you make of that phase of the project.

If you really enjoy the design/machining aspects, you may find yourself bored with a kit project.

Rob