View Full Version : D4 vs D4R

chet jamio
12-20-2008, 8:46 AM
I'm giving up finding a deal on a new or used D4R, but I've been finding used D4's pretty easily. Has anyone used each of these jigs? Assuming I'll be paying $500 for a new D4R, what would be the price of a D4 that would make it a better option? I've read the list of differences between the two units, but I can't put a value on the how much those matter.

Charles Lent
12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
The D4R is only the new version of the D4. They slightly redesigned it to make it easier to manufacture and added the new lever clamps and glass filled clamp bars. The side stops that were on the D4 were attached pieces. These are now machined into the base extrusion and are no longer separate parts. Leigh offers a D4 upgrade kit to replace the clamp bars and knob handles with the new lever handles and glass filled clamp bars to make it more like the D4R. The new vacuum attachment/router guide also fits the D4. These are all nice improvements and worth the money, if you already have a D4. If you add these the only significant difference between your D4 and a D4R will be the lack of the shiny new look.

Charley

Jim Becker
12-20-2008, 5:52 PM
I have the D4. Love it. There are some incremental improvements/features on the D4R, but not enough to override an excellent deal on a pre-owned D4. And Leigh is pretty good about making available upgrades, too.

kent borcherding
12-20-2008, 6:58 PM
chet ,

I would buy a used D4 , when I was doing more woodworking I had 3- D4's.

The D4 was made so you could easily replace a part if it was damaged.

The D4R is made more in one piece to save production cost . this makes it difficult to easily replace a part.

Leigh service is great.

Al Navas
12-20-2008, 7:25 PM
chet,

Go for the D4. Everything made for the D4R will fit the D4. In fact, all procedures for the D4R also apply to the D4, including inlaid dovetails, etc. You will find those procedures at the Leigh Customer Support page (http://www.leighjigs.com/support.php).

If you find one D4 in good shape but without the documentation, you can always buy the User Guide, or download it from the Leigh web site, Leigh User Guide Downloads (http://www.leighjigs.com/support.php#r3).

And, of course, you can always post your question here. But the Leigh Customer Support people are some of the best in the industry, and will reply to you on the phone immediately, too!

Jim Kountz
12-20-2008, 9:42 PM
You'll be happy with the D4. I do like the idea of machined stops vs adjustable but the upside is they are very easy to adjust and generally only has to be done once. If its a used D4 chances are you wont have to do anything with them at all.