PDA

View Full Version : Oily wood species

john l graham
12-20-2008, 5:41 AM
Is Brazilian Rosewood one of those oily woods that needs special prep in order to take a smooth finish? Maybe some one could compile a list of these for us first timers.

I thought I had just started to get good with the CA finish and then tried a Brazilian Rosewood blank. Oh My! It looks horrible with orange peel. Maybe it will sand out and be ok.

I believe some one mentioned preping with acetone wipe before CA for oily wood. Is this correct? Are there other methods of prep.

Thanks for the replies in advance. You all are always so very helpful.

Curt Fuller
12-20-2008, 9:48 AM
About any of the "Dalbergia" species of woods seem to be oily. But what makes them hard to finish is also what makes them such nice wood to turn. That natural oil in the wood provides the lubricant that makes it cut so clean that you can often get such a smooth cut you don't have to sand. I haven't ever tried CA on rosewood but I stumbled onto a finish that I've used that really works well. Minwax Wood-sheen http://www.minwax.com/products/one_step_stain_and_finishes/wood_sheen.cfm
I've used it similar to a friction polish and really like the way it looks. It works well on any wood but I used it on some cocobolo goblets and really liked the finish it gave to the oily wood.

Montgomery Scott
12-20-2008, 3:59 PM
Since lacquer has solvent in it, it works very well with any wood regardless of how oily it is. No acetone or other prefinishing steps are required.

Al Wasser
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
There is article by Jeff Jewitt in the current Fine Woodworking. It deals with the oily woods. You might take a gander at it next time you are in a place that sells it.