PDA

View Full Version : Jet JMF-5 mortiser

Tom Godley
12-19-2008, 7:37 PM
I need to get a set of chisels for my new mortiser. I would have just ordered them at the same time but they were out of stock.

Is this an item that can be sourced from other places -- is there a standard design? I would like to order a quality set - I just do not know much about them.

Jet shows the set "on sale" for $118.00 - but I can not find it except at Amazon for $199.00.

I set the tool up the other day -- I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

I was able to get it for $670.00 delivered. Then: $175 from "Cashback", $67 w/ebay 10% off coupon and $150.00 in rebates from Jet!=$278.00

jim sauterer
12-19-2008, 8:19 PM
holbrens has the amana pretty reasonable.i bought the jet chisels off ebay.

John Thompson
12-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I run CMT's on my Industrial floor model and they are great at a fairly cheap price. If you are going to spend as much as you mentioned I would at least look a the Lee Valley set or individuals as they have been machined pretty well before you get them. Of course the price goes up with that being done but... they are still pretty reasonable.

And keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to purchase and entire set at one time. 3/8".. 5/16" see most of my work with 1/4" and 3/4" getting a rare call. My machine can handle up to 1" chisels. And be sure to get a set of sharpening cones for MT chisels and use them as anything short of industrial chisels will need some work to remove grind marks.. etc.

Good luck...

Sarge..