PDA

View Full Version : Tool cases - what do you do with them?

Dan Mages
06-15-2004, 9:11 AM
I recently purchased from Amazon.com the Porter Cable 893 router package (hidden gloat) and it comes in this nice black case. My PC biscuit jointer and Bostich brad nailer also have these nice black cases. With my limited storage space, I will probably be sticking them in the cabinet sans the plastic case and stuff the cases in the shed I am about to build. So, what do you do with your tools? Do you store them in the case? If not, what do you do with them?

Dan

Donnie Raines
06-15-2004, 9:20 AM
Nice stealth gloat by the way...like how you added the biscuit joiner and "others" in there too.... :rolleyes:

At one point I had some 10 cases stacked up in my shed. I really had no use for them. Until one day my little girls got hold of them. Thy really like to carry their "stuff" around in them. So...my little girls have barbie dolls, crayons and "things" in these cases...and I have the extra space.

Steve Clardy
06-15-2004, 9:22 AM
The tools I have doubles of stay in the cases on a shelf. These are the ones I take to jobs, installings cabinets and staircases. The ones I use in shop, the cases usually get pitched, especially if they are plastic. The older metal cases, I keep, and use for other stuff I take to the job site.
I have a shelf in the back that is getting pretty full of plastic cases, and someday will go to the dump when the next major shop cleaning comes up. [Which needs to be soon].:eek:
Steve

Peter Kuhlman
06-15-2004, 9:26 AM
For me, I do not transport my tools to other sites. I discard all of the cases my tools come in. The Festool Systainers I have stacked in my attic but the blow molded cases that so many portable tools are sold with just get junked. I find that I am far more apt to use my wide selection of tools if I have ready access. Trying to get a tool out of a stack and open up a case is a pain. The blow molded cases never have enough internal storage for accessories so they become useless. If I had a traveling business to do installations or repairs, the best cases and system is the Festool design as they are made specifically for this use. I might think differently about this issue if I had a larger shop but with only 11' X 19' to work with, space is absolutely critical.

Pete in Louisiana

Mark Valsi
06-15-2004, 9:37 AM
I toss them out! seems a shame as some of them (pc router) are very nice.

I have stored the Festool boxes under the house, hate to throw them out ,but they take up too much space in the shop !

Kevin Arceneaux
06-15-2004, 10:00 AM
IF any of you have a case for a Dewalt 421 sander, PM me. I got that and the Dewalt plate joiner for $100, but the sander didn't have the case.

Thanks

Wes Bischel
06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Usually the cases end up in the attic of the garage - but with Donnie's idea, I'm going to get a couple small ones out for my little man - great idea!

Wes

Steve Clardy
06-15-2004, 10:07 AM
IF any of you have a case for a Dewalt 421 sander, PM me. I got that and the Dewalt plate joiner for $100, but the sander didn't have the case.

Thanks
Hmm. Same problem here. I got the same sander in the box with my new [ second] Dw705 miter saw.
Steve

Dan Mages
06-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Nice stealth gloat by the way...like how you added the biscuit joiner and "others" in there too.... :rolleyes:

At one point I had some 10 cases stacked up in my shed. I really had no use for them. Until one day my little girls got hold of them. Thy really like to carry their "stuff" around in them. So...my little girls have barbie dolls, crayons and "things" in these cases...and I have the extra space.

And the biscuit jointer and router has been put to some good use in the past few days... expect a project gloat by the end of the week!! :cool:

Byron Trantham
06-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I use them. Most of the tools always come with small parts; allen wrenches, etc. so it's the only I have found to keep them together :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Interesting that most who've responded toss their cases. I think it's a pain to NOT have a case for a tool! All mine get stored back into their cases. I am mad my PC-121 Oscillating/Spindle sander doesn't have a case...it lies kinda funny on its side and gets covered in dust when not in use. Same with my worm-drive Skil mag saw. All my PC routers stay in their case, my PC biscuit cutter is in its case, same with my PC brad nailer. My Milwaukee sawzall is in its metal case. My cordless drill (Sears) stays in its case. All my Festool stuff stays in the systainers. I like cases...they work well for me and it makes storage and safe-keeping of the tool easier.

Jim Stastny
06-15-2004, 12:41 PM
I keep them under my bench, with the tools in them . That way I know where everything is and all the little parts that come with them

Jim Becker
06-15-2004, 1:57 PM
Like some others, I toss them...EXCEPT for the Systainers that come with Festool and the metal box that my Sawsall lives in. It's not that I don't like the boxes, but for the most part, they take up a lot more space and don't "live together" very well, being different sizes and configurations. Systainers fix that...not that I'd trot out and buy "empty" ones for tools. I use shelves and cabinets and the new cabinets I'm thinking about for one area of my shop will have tool storage considerations in the design.

Kurt Aebi
06-15-2004, 2:01 PM
I usually store them in the case they came in. If they didn't already have one, I usually build a box for them. I find it a nice convenient way to store the tools and accessories in a dust-free enviroment.

There is my $0.02 Whichever way you choose to store your tools is entirely your choice - as you may have noticed from this thread.

Frank Pellow
06-15-2004, 9:35 PM
I keep and use most of the cases and occassionly make cases.

In particular, I use the Festool systainers and have even purchased 2 extra systainrs and fitted them out for non-Festool tools.

Jason Roehl
06-15-2004, 9:50 PM
I like having "cased" tools for the various reasons already given--protected from dust and debris, easy transport to jobsite, etc. As for the Festool Systainers, I think they are a great idea, but poor execution. The case itself is fine, but I think the molded plastic insert is flimsy and I can't see it lasting very long, plus the way that insert rides in the case leaves little room for the cord--which to make fit you have to coil up fairly tight.

Scott Coffelt
06-15-2004, 10:37 PM
I keep them to store the tool in. I have used a Sharpie on all the PC cases and labeled them. They are all stacked in a cabinet. I find that they stay organized this was and I never have to search for the tools that come with them. When I have to do projects/jobs away from the shop I can just load them up and they do not get damaged. I also have a couple of soft sided tool bags I just for away projects depending on the size of the job.

Gilbert Vega
06-15-2004, 10:58 PM
I keep and store all my tools in the plastic cases. Even go so far as to keep the cardboard wrapper that comes with them. I've bought cases for some of the tools that didn't come with them. Right now looking for a case for PC333 ROS and Dewalt 610 router if anyone is looking at tossing them away. :)

John Miliunas
06-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Jim Becker and I must be on the same wavelength or something! Identical situation for me; Systainers for all my Festool and, when not in use (seldom!), they're in the systainers. The only other one I'm religious on, is indeed the Sawzall, as it also has room for extra blades. The blow-molded cases, IMHO, are pretty useless and eventually end up in the landfill. :mad: That, in itself, is a bit depressing, but I just can't find any other use for them. :cool:

Tyler Howell
06-15-2004, 11:04 PM
I have three "drill boxes". Each has an assortment of bits, nut drivers, counter sink bits etc..... The most complete is the traveling sight box. It goes where the action is. The other two are stationed in the garage and shop so there is always some of the much needed specialty items if the sight box is on duty.
Sawzall, Paslode nail guns and the plate jointer stay in the boxes until called to arms. Everything else is toted in buckets.
Kinda hate to ditch um but you have given me the confidence to purge myself of the space gobbling plastic. Thanks;)

aurelio alarcon
06-15-2004, 11:26 PM
I need a case for my Skil HD77 Worm drive 7 1/4 circular saw. If anyone out there has one let me know before you throw it out. I rarely use the saw (very big) and would like to have a case to store it.

John Weber
06-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Ok guys, I’m a case nut and I always wonder why it's such a heated subject. Some guys want to landfill the cases, and feel ripped off they had to pay for one as part of a tool purchase, I love them and almost always search for the correct case if a tool doesn't come with one - oh well. I like the cases because they are easy to store, keep the tool neat & clean with the correct accessories, and always ready to take to a job site (typically my mother in laws). Many of my cases are steel (the old days), and I do like them a bit better, but the plastic (mostly DeWalt cases) hold up just as well.

I store the bulk of my portable tools in a large rolling cabinet that rarely moves. It was hanging on the wall in the shop when we bought the house, I added some wheels, a back, trim, locks, and paint and was ready to go. It holds almost all my portables, and I have a bunch. I also keep the nailers and a couple others under one of my benches, and a couple other cases scattered around the shop. For me the cabinet and tool cases keep the shop neat. I guess I could free up a little room if I dumped the cases, but seems like an awful mess. In my small shop 14x21 I try to keep everything in it's place.

Like most other topics, lots of opinions and ideas, but for me give me a good case any day...

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/toolstorage1.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/toolstorage3.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/toolstorage2.jpg

John Weber
06-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Aurelio,

I have a Craftsman (made by Skil) 77, and Sears sells a nice metal tool box just the right size. It's been a couple years, so you may need to check around, but works great.

And for Gilbert and others looking for cases. You can typically buy them directly from the manufacturer, I bought Milwaukee and DeWalt cases that way (usually not priced to bad). A very good source is ebay, I've even sold several cases for router and drill kits I've parted out. A PC 690 router case typically will bring $15 plus shipping. A blow molded cordless drill case on the other hand will only bring $5 to $10, so maybe not worth the trouble.

For those that don't like cases, see above and sell them on ebay. Metal cases in good condition will bring some decent money depending on the tool.

Just FYI...

John

aurelio alarcon
06-16-2004, 1:25 AM
Thanks John. I forgot that Craftsman sold the same saw. I will definetely look into it. The saw itself is just hard to store (can't stack it). I should have known about the Craftsman connection. Like many other woodworkers I own and appreciate a variety of tools (Porter Cable, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt etc). Conversly unlike many others, I am a Craftsman nut, so I should have known. Thanks again.

Charles McKinley
06-16-2004, 2:33 AM
I like my cases as most of my stuff gets drug out to off site locations regularly. I tend to lose stuff if I don't put it back where it belongs and the cases make it easy to check that all the little bits are in their place. Drill isn't much good without bits. DAMHIKT (for the longest time I thought this was a way to say a fitting but unacceptable phrase)

EBAY!!!!! sell that stuff don't put it in the land fill, as John more elagantly pointed out above.

77 case: My skill saw is permanently mounted in the panel saw. PM me and it can be yours for the shipping cost. It is plastic but kind of bulky.

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 7:15 AM
Ok John You're winning! :eek: Can anyone beat that? Come-on Show your pix!

Kelly C. Hanna
06-16-2004, 7:48 AM
If I didn't kepp my tools in them to take on the jobsite, I'd put them in the attic and save them in case (pun!) I ever sold the tool.

Frank Pellow
06-20-2004, 3:35 PM
I like having "cased" tools for the various reasons already given--protected from dust and debris, easy transport to jobsite, etc. As for the Festool Systainers, I think they are a great idea, but poor execution. The case itself is fine, but I think the molded plastic insert is flimsy and I can't see it lasting very long, plus the way that insert rides in the case leaves little room for the cord--which to make fit you have to coil up fairly tight.

I agree that the inserts for the Festool systainers are not of the same quality as the rest of their products. So far, mine are lasting OK, but I admit that I am being particularly careful with them.

However Jason, I do not understand your comment about limited room for the cords. This is certainly not a problem with the tools that I have.

Greg Mann
06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Frank, you and Jason are correct about the Systainer inserts. I believe I will wind up making replacement inserts for my AT55 and my planer. The Rotex insert, while made of the same thin material, seems a little more acceptable but not much. Just enough I probably won't replace it. I could overlook it more easily but Festool touts the Systainer as a significant advantage to their line. Perhaps we need to lobby them to improve these liners. Having said all that, I still love their tools. After using them for some time I guess I would buy them even if they came without the best boxes in the industry, liners notwithstanding.

Greg

Frank Pellow
06-21-2004, 9:38 AM
Frank, you and Jason are correct about the Systainer inserts. I believe I will wind up making replacement inserts for my AT55 and my planer. The Rotex insert, while made of the same thin material, seems a little more acceptable but not much. Just enough I probably won't replace it. I could overlook it more easily but Festool touts the Systainer as a significant advantage to their line. Perhaps we need to lobby them to improve these liners. Having said all that, I still love their tools. After using them for some time I guess I would buy them even if they came without the best boxes in the industry, liners notwithstanding.

Greg

I think that your suggestion about lobbying Festool is a good one.

To that end, I am considering starting a seperate thread on the topic, see how many folks I can get to sign up, then sending the collected comments to Festool.

Do folks think that this is worthwhile? I would particualrly welcome Bob Marino's advice re this.

John Miliunas
06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
I think that your suggestion about lobbying Festool is a good one.

To that end, I am considering starting a seperate thread on the topic, see how many folks I can get to sign up, then sending the collected comments to Festool.

Do folks think that this is worthwhile? I would particualrly welcome Bob Marino's advice re this.

Frank, I concur with your general observations. I too, do NOT have a problem with finding room for the cords on any of my Festool equipment, but the inserts do appear to be on the "delicate" side. For me, I'm both, very careful with them and don't have a need to lug the equipment from job site to job site. That said, others find the Festools GREAT for job site work and this would undoubtedly become an issue for them. I think Festool *should* be made aware of this.

I know that Christian is an honorable individual and very dedicated to providing an excellent tool and equally, if not better, Customer Service, so I believe he would be open to discussion on this. I think a separate thread with your suggestions would be OK. I'm not completely sure if we need or should solicit Bob's input on this, as that may put him in an awkward position. If this is done on our own and THEN we request that he bring our concerns to Festool, it may be a better approach and not "put him on the spot", as it were. Just MHO and we know what *my* opinions are worth! :rolleyes: :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I'll chime in that I also agree the Festool liners are on the cheap, flimsy side and won't last. That said, I'm pretty careful with it. The one holding my CDD-12 drill is doing fine and the 150/5 is holding up well but if I used them daily for my job, I can't see how they would last very long.

Dan Mages
06-21-2004, 1:27 PM
Now, why would I want to keep my tools out of sawdust. They are designed to make it and work in it. My tools are their happiest in sawdust. Why would I want to remove them from their happy place?? :rolleyes:

Dan

Thanks for the info.

JayStPeter
06-21-2004, 1:49 PM
I agree that the systainer liners are flimsy.

After some digging on the Festool site, I see that tools are available without systainers in some other countries. I would gladly pay a little less and forego the systainer totally. Although I like the one for my circular saw, I can't imagine drills or sanders would ever find their way back into the sysainer in my shop. I might prove myself wrong here, but I doubt it :cool: .

In general I don't use the containers. Right now I do since my shop is just finishing construction and I don't have any storage space. Once I build a nice storage cabinet for them, the cases will probably go to the attic in case I move again any time soon.

Jay St. Peter

Greg Mann
06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Frank,

Maybe all us Festoolies are setting ourselves up for a little ribbing on this one but a separate thread is a good idea. I had sent a message to Bob to check out this thread but I am new to the forum and I am not sure I did it right. We are close to hijacking it this thread, I think, so in the spirit of the original question I must say that most of the tool cases I have are marginal except the systainers. I had a Bosch jigsaw with a decent case but I sent it to my son in Denver and then bought the newest model, which by the way, is a nice improvement over an already nice tool. I dislike the new case and do not use it. Go figure.

Greg

Lowell Kinzer
06-26-2004, 8:33 PM
I'm another who keeps the cases and uses them for storing the tools they came with.

As for blown-mold cases, some are more useful than others in regards to storing accessories:

The case for the Bosch 1618 router has places for the edge guide kit, several bits (1/4" and 1/2" shaft), two wrenches, and the template guide kit (which is in a small blown-mold case itself).

For the Skilsaw HD77 series, Skil offers a "plastic carrying case" (in case Aurelio or Chris are interested, it's model no. 95277) which has slots for the blade wrench, edge guide and a blade storage compartment.

Porter-Cable nail gun cases have storage areas for nail boxes, an oil bottle, hex wrenches, and the owner's manual.

At least some manufacturers try to maximize the utility of their tool cases.

Cheers,

Lowell

Frank Pellow
06-26-2004, 8:52 PM
For any of you who may not have noticed, I have started a seperate spin-off thread on the subject of Festool Systainers.

aurelio alarcon
06-26-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm another who keeps the cases and uses them for storing the tools they came with.

As for blown-mold cases, some are more useful than others in regards to storing accessories:

The case for the Bosch 1618 router has places for the edge guide kit, several bits (1/4" and 1/2" shaft), two wrenches, and the template guide kit (which is in a small blown-mold case itself).

For the Skilsaw HD77 series, Skil offers a "plastic carrying case" (in case Aurelio or Chris are interested, it's model no. 95277) which has slots for the blade wrench, edge guide and a blade storage compartment.

Porter-Cable nail gun cases have storage areas for nail boxes, an oil bottle, hex wrenches, and the owner's manual.

At least some manufacturers try to maximize the utility of their tool cases.

Cheers,

Lowell
Thanks for the model number. I should have one on the way from another creeker.