PDA

View Full Version : Now you see it, now you don't/stealth gloat

david kramer
12-19-2008, 6:27 PM
I gave myself a Christmas present, a DW735 from Lowe's ($499 -10% coupon). Here it is installed on the flip/outfeed table for my saw. The table is made from 3/4" melamine particle board with oak trim to protect the edges. The pivot is a 5/8" threaded rod through a 3/4" tube. The table is secured in either orientation by sliding bolts at each corner.

Now I just need to figure out an in/outfeed support system and then I might allow one or two woodchips to touch the new toy :). Not sure if I want to buy the DeWalt in/outfeed tables, or build something more substantial. Any thoughts?

David

David Christopher
12-19-2008, 6:40 PM
Congrats, I know you will love that planer ( I have the same one) I made a bench for mine 16" wide by 48" long and it steps down in the middle where the planer sits and it makes its own infeed outfeed table

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 7:29 PM
David,

Looks nice. How thick is the oak edging? I assume you used 3/4" melamine? I wonder about the longevity of the melamine or any sagging (dependent upon oak edging, which will help tremendously). Is the 5/8" threaded rod resting on the particle board? Might it chew it up over time? Just curious.

One thing I like to do with lunchbox planers is to make a planer sled (melamine is awesome for this application) of whatever length you think and then support it with legs on either side. This gives you a seamless planer table although you'll lose a melamine's worth thickness on cutting height but this is usually negligible.

Myk Rian
12-19-2008, 7:30 PM
If you went with the DeWalt tables you would find that the infeed table will fold all the way up. The outfeed is hampered by the dust connection. Judging by how you have your planer mounted, they will work fine for you.

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 7:33 PM
Good post David. Please let us know how that outfeed part works for you.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I made a conceptual sketch of your cart with some folding extension tables. However, this design requires that you rotate your planer 90 degrees.

The small blue 'platform' tables are mounted to the rotating top and don't obstruct the rotation of the top.

The green folding side tables have an offset hinge allowing the table to clear the top when folded down so you can continue to use the cart as an outfeed table for your tablesaw.

Just a thought...

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Presentation2-2.jpg

Bruce Page
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats David, that is a great planer!

(Am I the only one who wants to see more of his garage doors?)

Aaron Berk
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I made a conceptual sketch of your cart with some folding extension tables. However, this design requires that you rotate your planer 90 degrees.

The small blue 'platform' tables are mounted to the rotating top and don't obstruct the rotation of the top.

The green folding side tables have an offset hinge allowing the table to clear the top when folded down so you can continue to use the cart as an outfeed table for your tablesaw.

Just a thought...

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Presentation2-2.jpg

I was also going to suggest this idea, although I wouldn't have been able to project the idea near as good as Jeffrey did. (excellent imagery Jeffrey) I'm in the process of building a similar wing set for my own flip top stand.

Stephen Edwards
12-20-2008, 7:34 AM
Nice table.........thanks for sharing your project.....

david kramer
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Jeff,

This is an awesome idea, unfortunately it won't work because the table is too narrow to take the saw in that orientation. The depth of the table is dictated by the depth of the counter that it slides under. So I don't really have much choice in the matter.

David

david kramer
12-23-2008, 1:03 PM
David,

Looks nice. How thick is the oak edging? I assume you used 3/4" melamine? .

Yes. The edging is just 1/4" thick, except for along the tabletop which is 3/4" thick. It's mostly cosmetic and to protect from bangs, not structural.

I wonder about the longevity of the melamine or any sagging (dependent upon oak edging, which will help tremendously).

Hmm, good point. I think we're okay. It might be hard to see from the pic but the table is actually a cube which is missing one face. So the sides are tied together via the back. All the sides are 3/4" thick and the top is 2.25" thick, so it's pretty strong. I haven't seen any sagging yet but I'll keep an eye out in case I need to add stringers.

Is the 5/8" threaded rod resting on the particle board? Might it chew it up over time? Just curious.

That would indeed be a mess. The rod runs through a steel pipe which is cut into three lengths. One length is the width of the swivelling part of the top, and the other two are 3/4". The short lengths are embedded in the sides. So the threaded rod rests on pipe only, it never touches melamine. It's not a great bearing design :) but it actually works okay, it doesn't feel sticky or heavy.

One thing I like to do with lunchbox planers is to make a planer sled (melamine is awesome for this application) of whatever length you think and then support it with legs on either side. This gives you a seamless planer table although you'll lose a melamine's worth thickness on cutting height but this is usually negligible.

That is a great idea. I'm going to make it. Thanks for the suggestion!

David

Jerome Hanby
12-23-2008, 1:04 PM
That's a nice idea. Puts the planner in a good spot close to the TS. I may have to "steal" your concept. Thanks for posting!