PDA

View Full Version : I need a threshold for my back door...

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2008, 5:54 PM
...it just happens to be 37" wide. :confused::confused: Lucky me! :rolleyes: I thought about buying 2 36" ones and cutting and splicing them, but the weatherstrip that goes on the bottom of the door would never be a good seal that way. Google search shows a 36" and then a 66", I'm guessing for a french door. I could cut that down, but it's 66 bucks! May not have a choice. I sure thought there would be a 42" one available. Anyone know where I can look? I'd appreciate any help you have to offer. Jim.

Brian Effinger
12-19-2008, 6:02 PM
Is it wood or aluminum?

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 6:15 PM
Make one?! :D

Jason White
12-19-2008, 6:21 PM
Check the better lumberyards. Here in the Boston area, several of them stock oak thresholds in lots of different sizes.

...it just happens to be 37" wide. :confused::confused: Lucky me! :rolleyes: I thought about buying 2 36" ones and cutting and splicing them, but the weatherstrip that goes on the bottom of the door would never be a good seal that way. Google search shows a 36" and then a 66", I'm guessing for a french door. I could cut that down, but it's 66 bucks! May not have a choice. I sure thought there would be a 42" one available. Anyone know where I can look? I'd appreciate any help you have to offer. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2008, 6:30 PM
I'd like something that is weatherstripped. This door faces the north and winter winds just whip through it anyway. I'd like one of the metal ones with the adjustable part that seals against the door. The one that is in there is wood, and had a raised section of plywood where the door sits and that part was clad in plastic. Plastic broke up in several places. It will be a bear to get the old threshold out, but I don't have a choice in the matter. I'll have to take the door off the hinges, and peel the carpet back to do it. Afraid I'll have to take the carpet tack strips up, and I'd rather do plumbing that put new ones down. :rolleyes: Never have been good at that. I doubt I can find a real lumber yard open on Saturdays, but I'll look while we are out shopping tomorrow. I thought I could google 42" threshold and get some possibilities.:( Jim.

William OConnell
12-19-2008, 6:43 PM
I'd like something that is weatherstripped. This door faces the north and winter winds just whip through it anyway. I'd like one of the metal ones with the adjustable part that seals against the door. The one that is in there is wood, and had a raised section of plywood where the door sits and that part was clad in plastic. Plastic broke up in several places. It will be a bear to get the old threshold out, but I don't have a choice in the matter. I'll have to take the door off the hinges, and peel the carpet back to do it. Afraid I'll have to take the carpet tack strips up, and I'd rather do plumbing that put new ones down. :rolleyes: Never have been good at that. I doubt I can find a real lumber yard open on Saturdays, but I'll look while we are out shopping tomorrow. I thought I could google 42" threshold and get some possibilities.:( Jim.
Is the threshhold part of the door? or was it installed afterwards?
If its part of the door which I suspect it might be the stiles are probably mortised into it

glenn bradley
12-19-2008, 7:02 PM
I'm with Chris and it will be a lot less than $66.

Ooops, just noticed, you want aluminum.

Phil Thien
12-19-2008, 7:07 PM
Yeah, get the aluminum one. I am amazed at how well they seal. There is really no way to beat the quality of the seal or the longevity of the aluminum one.

I'd check with some of the larger commercial glass/door suppliers in your area. Especially if you can find one that does storefronts.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 7:22 PM
Carbide cuts aluminum...you could still make one! :D :D

Brian Effinger
12-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I've spec'ed National Guard Products (www.ngp.com (http://www.ngp.com)) for my commercial jobs. They may have something that would work for your door.

Paul Girouard
12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.barndoorhardware.com/pemko.htm?wm_lpID=5666921&wm_ctID=65&wm_kwID=4664687&wm_mtID=1&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=2240994167&wm_g_kw=pemko+door+hardware&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_defaultURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.barndoorhardware.co m%2fpemko.htm&wm_kw=pemko+door+hardware#THRESHOLDS

http://www.barndoorhardware.com/images/thresholds.jpg

They have all kinds , they are not cheap , you may have to buy a 4 foot or 6 foot threshold .

I order mine thru my local lumber yard , they generally get them from thier supplier who sell the Therm-a-True brand doors , I like thier adjustable sills and door bottoms.

Generally the threshold IS attached vie screws or staples thru the side jambs.

Good luck.

Tyler Howell
12-20-2008, 8:51 AM
I made three for my old house. Looked what the borg had and one upped them. Sealed it on the top and bottom because it would be exposed to the elements.:cool:

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2008, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the link Paul. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Now to see if I have to hock the house to buy it!;) Sounds like they make them to the length you need, so my 37" should be no problem.

Tyler, I'll build all the interior thresholds I need, but I'll leave the outside ones to the pros. (This is for the door to the left of the sofa we were sitting on for the picture when you were here.) Jim.