PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Hose for Dust Collection

Jan Bianchi
12-19-2008, 3:57 PM
I need about one foot of 4 inch hose to connect my router table to my dust collection system, but I don't want to put out $25 for ten feet of clear plastic hose for just that one foot. Would using flexible aluminum dryer vent hose, which is much cheaper, just for that foot, cause any problems?

Jim Becker
12-19-2008, 4:00 PM
Not gonna work. Too light and will collapse or damage easily.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 4:36 PM
Jan,

Where's home? Maybe there is a friendly 'Creeker nearby?

Jan Bianchi
12-19-2008, 4:53 PM
I'm sure there is but I don't know of anyone.

chet jamio
12-19-2008, 4:57 PM
if 4" is long enough, go to the bottom of this page: http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm

Jan Bianchi
12-19-2008, 5:07 PM
Right now I'm trying to talk myself into going ahead and using the 10 feet I already bought on the off chance I'll use the rest of it somewhere else sometime. But if the responsible side of the argument wins, I think 4" would do. Thanks for the tip on the website.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 5:24 PM
I'm sure there is but I don't know of anyone.

You may wish to update your profile with your city, state.

Jan Bianchi
12-19-2008, 5:37 PM
Yes I should. When the project's done.

Maurice Ungaro
12-19-2008, 9:14 PM
Good luck with it.

Stephen Edwards
12-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I need about one foot of 4 inch hose to connect my router table to my dust collection system, but I don't want to put out $25 for ten feet of clear plastic hose for just that one foot. Would using flexible aluminum dryer vent hose, which is much cheaper, just for that foot, cause any problems?

Send me a PM. I'll give you a foot of the black flex 4" if you'll pay the actual Priority Mail shipping charge.

Chris True
12-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Rockler also lists 1 foot sections.

Chip Lindley
12-20-2008, 8:25 AM
Just a Thot....

I made a reducer for 5" hose from my Delta single stage *sits on a barrel* DC out of a plywood disc to fit inside the 5", held with a hose clamp. Bored a 2-1/2" Forstner hole in the disc center to attach hose from my shop vac to clean up the floor.

Perhaps you could use the reducer disc in a gate to attach your smaller hose from the router table?

Rick Potter
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Jan,

If you are referring to the stiff, heavy duty, solid aluminum dryer vent hose that is corrugated, carried by Lowes and HD, I can tell you my experience.

I used about 4 feet of it as the main attachment from my DC to the system. I used 7" because that was the size of my DC inlet. This setup gave me just enough flex to move the DC away from the wall to change bags.

I used it for at least five years before I moved, and had zero problems with it.

Rick Potter

Chris Damm
12-20-2008, 1:47 PM
That dryer duct will work in a pinch but not for very long. I had some lying around so I used it to hook up my jointer. I lasted only a couple of hours before it had holes worn in it. It didn't collapse but was hardly worth the effort to hook it up.

Keith Beck
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
If you're talking about the kind pictured below, I've been using it for about two years with no issues. I will admit though, that if you use it somewhere that requires a lot of back and forth bending, it will perforate.

This was only meant to be a temporary fix, but I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC03294.jpg

Keith

Tim Self
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
If you have a truck, (semi) parts place nearby, they sell 4" exhaust pipe. Will not collapse but again not to flexable. Some auto parts stores selll it as well.

Gary Chester
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
As said above, Rockler carries it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on the shelf at the Stone Way store here in Seattle.