PDA

View Full Version : veneering bag question

Wayne Bitting
12-19-2008, 2:11 PM
I am interested in trying out veneering (esp with the sale today at veneersupplies.com). One question that I have is since I'll be doing small items to start, can I put more then one thing in a bag at a time? If I'm making a box, do I put the four sides all under one cawl or does each get their own? I was worried that if there was a slight thickness variation on one if that would throw off the amount of pressure on the other pieces during curing process. Thanks -Wayne

Jason Beam
12-19-2008, 2:19 PM
Good question! I'm in the same position as you (ordered my stuff today!)

I think you can put multiple items in. I agree with your assessment: seperate cauls seem to be the best way to go. I look forward to seeing the experts chime in on this one :)

Frank Drew
12-19-2008, 2:45 PM
Wayne, Jason,

Vacuum veneer bags are normally flexible enough to compensate for differences in thickness that aren't too great, added to the fact that the vacuum pressure is very even throughout the bag; the only caution I can think of about veneering a number of panels in one pressing is that it might make the whole process a bit frantic if you're working by yourself.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 3:28 PM
Yes, you can do it but you have to be careful with covering everything with cauls.

The bags sucks down EVERYWHERE applying PRESSURE everywhere so do not leave any voids under the cauls and don't leave any sharp edges showing or the bag will suck down around them and possibly tear.

If the difference in height is too much, the bag may also tear.

When you get your stuff, be sure to do some practice runs WITHOUT glue and you'll see what I mean.

Larry Fox
12-19-2008, 3:49 PM
For small parts you should be able to get buy without a top platen. JoeWoodworker sells this stuff called Breather Mesh that I use in place of a top platen. For flat work, I press as much as I can fit with reasonable space (~6") between the pieces. Using the breather mesh I have not had a piece come out looking even a bit suspect or prone to coming unglued.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 3:51 PM
Yeah, I was just going to mention about the breather mesh and I picked some up along with another bag (gee, thanks for the reminder of the sale...just dropped another $300 on joe! hahahaha) and other odds 'n ends....

richard poitras
12-19-2008, 7:01 PM
I just ordered a bag from Joe as well ...plus others things...good deal on the bags! :)

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 7:55 PM
FOR the OP:

You are going to face more of a glue/ dry time challenge trying to do 2 at a time than you are any caul issue.

Some of these things you just have to try once and you will see what I mean.

Jim Becker
12-19-2008, 8:34 PM
The mesh works great, but you should still consider having something on top of the workpiece as the pressure on the mesh "can" mark the workpiece.

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 8:43 PM
Jim has a another good point. Again try and you will see.