PDA

View Full Version : Routed bowls

John Gregory
12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
My wife and I made these snack bowls this year to give to our family for Christmas. They are made from various woods, Iron wood, purple heart. paduk, maple, walnut, blood wood, ash, cherry, canary wood, Santos mahogany. No stain was used. The finish is lacquer.

Thanks for looking

David Gilbert
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM
What are the dimensions of these boxes? They look like they took a lot of very careful routing!

I am sure they will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Ted Calver
12-19-2008, 1:43 PM
John,
Very, very nice!! Not your run of the mill gifts...they will be well received.

Mark Patoka
12-19-2008, 2:52 PM
John,
Those are very nice. I've seen plans and I ordered my bowl routing bit so I just have to make some.

John Gregory
12-19-2008, 3:05 PM
Finished they are 9X12X3 but the original blank was 11X15X3

CMT has a video online showing how to do this, we made our own template, but CMT sells a kit with templates, extension, bit and DVD sold at Woodcraft, Rockler etc.

The most work was really sanding inside the bowls. But I think it was a good way to showcase the beautiful exotic woods.

What are the dimensions of these boxes? They look like they took a lot of very careful routing!

I am sure they will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 3:11 PM
John,
Did you use the CMT bowl and bit set or just use your own dish bit w/ collet extension.

I saw plans for similar bowls in Shop Notes? I think. Anyway... they look great. I will have some to show once my project cue gets to a manageable level. :rolleyes:

John Thompson
12-19-2008, 7:45 PM
Very nice color and contrast in each... I like them all.

Sarge..