PDA

View Full Version : epoxy on wood

Margaret Turco
12-19-2008, 9:46 AM
I want to replace a name-plate on a wooden clock I bought second-hand. The clock is wood and the plate is brass. It looks like they used epoxy to stick on the plate originally. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the plate without harming the finish or wood of the clock? I may have to just cover the original name-plate but it won't look as nice. Thanks for your help!

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Is there ANY WAY to get something under the nameplate? A sharpened putty knife (could even be a plastic one), or a credit card? Is there any way to "access" the nameplate from behind? Drill several small holes and try to "pop" the plate off?

It *might* help to warm up the nameplate with a hair dryer.

Whatever you do, go slowly and carefully. Can you post a pic? It might help....

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2008, 1:42 PM
if the plate is metal you ca heat it to about 200 deg F
the Epoxy will break down

If it's not metal try less heat at about 150-F Epoxy should be soft.

Sean Troy
12-19-2008, 2:38 PM
Try working fishing line under it and work back and forth as you pull it parralell to the wood.

Margaret Turco
12-19-2008, 3:11 PM
There is one corner I might be able to get something under. All great ideas guys and I'll give it a try with heat. There is no access from the back, but I could drill through the front. The new plate would cover that anyway. I need to charge the batteries in my camera or I'd send a picture. Thank you all for your help!