PDA

View Full Version : Wonderings about LV dogs and pups...

JohnPeter Lee
12-19-2008, 9:46 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering which LV bench clamp - the wonder dog or wonder pup, would be better for my workbench clamping needs. My bench's top is 1-3/4" maple, with 2 rows of dog holes. It has only a front vise - no tail vise or other such thing. I primarily want to clamp boards for planing.

The LV website does not have any recommendations with respect to workbench thickness, other than the wonder pup being most useful for front-of-bench clamping. The very nice phone support person did not have an answer for this.

So, anyone have knowledge / experiences to share?

If I increase the top thickness by 1-1/2" by adding two plywood sheets underneath, I would assume that the wonder dog, being longer, would be OK. But is it still OK for my thinner top???

thanks,
JP Lee

Tony Zaffuto
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I've got a couple of the LV pups with muzzles. Use them a lot, but keep in mind their height is around 3/4" (if I remember correctly). Well worth the price, at least to me!

T.Z.

Rob Luter
12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I have a wonder dog and it works great, although I don't use it often. I can hold about anything I need between my vise dogs and my bench dogs. Still, I'd recommend you pick one up as they are really handy. 1 3/4" bench thickness is fine for a Wonder Dog.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89361

I just scored a couple Gramercy holdfasts that work like a million bucks too. Another "must have" in my book.

Jim W. White
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a wonder-dog and find it very useful. I too have only a front vise and do not use it very much when handplaning panels; instead I use some standard bench dogs on one side and the wonder on the other. The thickness of your current top should be more than enough to hold it securely. I routinely use one in a 3/4" top with no real problems. they are really engineered nicely.

Jim in Idaho

Chuck Nickerson
12-19-2008, 1:19 PM
I have both. The WonderDog works fine in a thin bench top. The extra capability it gives you is the ability to apply horizontal clamping pressure up off of the bench top. I don't do it often, but it's quite useful when needed.

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 8:37 PM
Recommendation: Just buy a set and try them out. I think you will like them and if not come back here end sell them. They will go like hotcakes.

Jim Becker
12-20-2008, 5:28 PM
I have 'em, use 'em and like 'em.

John Sanford
12-20-2008, 9:25 PM
Got a Wonder Dog, Bench Pup, and a pair of LV Bench Dogs. Love' em all. Workbench thickness is about the same as yours, no problems using the WD.

Bill Houghton
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
though I have their bench dogs.

For $2 more, it would seem worth getting the greater length.