PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"-Blizzard Edition

Karl Laustrup
12-19-2008, 8:59 AM
Friday December 19, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Yep, you read that right. We have a blizzard up here. :(:eek:

Woke this morning to about 7-8 inches on the ground. We're in the 10-12 inch area by the weather maps, so we've got more coming. LOML had to go to work [she works in Madison, 55 miles away], so I headed out to use the JD with the snowblower so she could at least get out of the driveway. Finished up about 6:45 and since then there is at least another inch. And the wind is blowing. It's going to be a long day.

LOML did take my 4WD Trailblazer so I feel a little better about her driving. Hopefully, by the time she heads home this afternoon the snow will have stopped. We have another storm coming in Saturday night with a predicted 5-6 inches. That should put us above last years total to date, when we had over 100 inches for the season. :eek::(

So you can get an idea what my weekend is going to be like. Shovel and plow snow and rest in between. These old muscles are going to get a good workout this weekend. I'd go to Vegas to visit my buddy who's wintering there, except they had snow also.:eek:

So, for those of you not in the snow belt, what's on your agenda this weekend? For those of you up this way, I already know what you'll be doing this weekend. :rolleyes:;)

Whatever, you're up to have a good weekend and please be SAFE.

Karl

UPDATE: LOML just walked in the door. Seems the Intersate has only one lane plowed with traffic going about 20 MPH and too many idiots trying to go somewhere. She figured it would have taken her until sometime around noon to get to work, only to turn around and head home.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2008, 9:12 AM
No shop time until the New Year.

Karl.....we have had blizzard conditions up out of the "Valley" for 2 days now. The LOML and I drive to Spokane this afternoon to hopefully catch a flight out to LA on Saturday morning. Change planes in LA and head to NZ!

I hope the wind stopped overnight and the drifting stopped too!

Spokane as of 9:00 PM last night had had 23" of snow in the last 24 hours.

We could have an exciting trip today!

Merry Christmas All! Happy New Year!

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-19-2008, 9:27 AM
Karl, stay safe! also everyone else up there.

Here in Mass we're expecting a storm too - estimates for my area are for up to a foot of snow, so it'll be messy. I did get to work today but will knock off about 1/2 day to miss the bulk of the snow. will probably spend most of the weekend shovelling/snowblowing and then playing with the kids in the snow.

Russ Boyd
12-19-2008, 9:38 AM
Ken, I live in Spokane. No wind as of now and only about a 1/2" or so since last time I shoveled (last night). Hope you make it out okay. Russ

BOB OLINGER
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
We're sending the ice, sleet, & snow to you guys to the east. Nasty front moved through last night. In Central IA,we got about 6" snow. Ice to the south and more snow to the north. Hope to spend a few hours in the shop working on my plantation shutters over the weekend. Sounds like more weather on the way, also. Our best to everyone.

Brian Effinger
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Blowing and shoveling :(

Matt Meiser
12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
We're getting more ice here than snow. We are having my family's Christmas Sunday at my parents' due to out of town family's schedules. At some point I need to con a couple of my brothers into helping me switch the clawfoot tub we installed 18 months ago for a new one. The antique developed porcelain problems and we finally threw in the towel an purchased a new one which was delivered this morning. Shipping weight was 400lbs--should be fun. One of my brothers and I also need to work on putting a new transmission in my dad's truck. I have to work 2 days next week, then have a 5 day weekend which will be nice.

Joe Cunningham
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I plan to shovel a lot. :cool: Predicting 10-14" here, we'll see how that ends up. I'd rather have the snow than a snow-ice-sleet mix, which is pain.

I do have a jewelry box I need to complete, so I hope it clears up fairly quickly so I can get some shop time in. Otherwise I am up a creek (not a sawmill creek either) for one of my Christmas gifts...:rolleyes:

Don Orr
12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I just cancelled a little weekend getaway my wife and I had planned due to the storm heading our way. We hope to go XC skiing tomorrow though-first for the year. Snowblower is ready to go.

I guess I'll probably have to spend the rest of the weekend in the shop setting up my new Jet Slow Speed Sharpener:D, (Stealth Gloat;))and grinding tools. I watched the DVD last night and was very pleasantly surprised to see Ernie Conover was the demonstrator for the grinder. We just had him in to our woodworking club in November for some classes that I could not attend. What a great guy. If he endorses this tool, it must be good ! Got a great deal-no shipping charge, extra promo goodies, big rebate.

Carlos Alden
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Ken, I live in Spokane. No wind as of now and only about a 1/2" or so since last time I shoveled (last night). Hope you make it out okay. Russ

Hey Russ. I'm up on the South Hill. And it's starting up again!

Carlos

Brad Noble
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Glad the wife made it back home safely. We have no snow here but have had a tremendous rain last night and this morning. Glad it wasn't snow. Shop time? Yeah, a little. Hope to get my RAS tuned up this weekend and maybe even my bandsaw. That's the goal anyway. But if I do it will probably happen Saturday night or very early Sunday morning.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Nancy Laird
12-19-2008, 1:09 PM
No shop time until the New Year.

We could have an exciting trip today!

Merry Christmas All! Happy New Year!

Ken, when do you leave for New Zealand? It's summer there--take your shorts!

No shop time for us this weekend, either. We're trying to finish getting ready for Christmas, although it will be a quiet one for us. Don't have any more laser jobs pending, so relaxing and enjoying the holiday is on tap.

Merry Christmas all! Feliz Navidad and Prospero Nuevo Ano from New Mexico.

Jim Kountz
12-19-2008, 3:15 PM
Well the wife works all weekend so I have some things on tap to keep me busy. Got a few bowl blanks that should be ready to final turn and some pen kits I can work up. Also doing another segmented bowl and should get that underway sometime tomorrow. Sunday I think I will finish up my last minute shopping then kick back and watch some tube!!

Jeremy Rayburn
12-19-2008, 4:10 PM
We had 3" of snow in Baton Rouge last week and it shut the schools and state offices down for 2 days.... Fortunately, I had no problem walking to my garage shop which is connected to house via my hallway!

David G Baker
12-19-2008, 4:46 PM
I spent 4 hours clearing my 300 foot driveway of a little over 12 inches of snow and piling the new snow on top of the approximately 24 inches that is already on the ground.

Mike Heidrick
12-19-2008, 4:54 PM
We had an ice storm and looks like more on the way.

Started some oak kid chairs after seeing some done on FWW by Frank Pellow. Glue ups are in teh JLT rack right now as I did not have any 8/4 red oak in the rack. Hope to work on them some more today and this weekend.

Need to return a bunch of stuff to Menards from teh last kitchen project. I always buy too much extra stuff it seems.

Hoping to get my Woodcraft clearenced 24" Bessies in today and a few new Long Reach Kreg klamps for my FF table as a christmas present from a buddy tonight. He gets a Milwaukee inspection camera and Dial Caliper from me thanks to black friday deals from Mark and Brian on Woodnet.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 4:57 PM
Snow? What's that? All we have is rain around here....

Dan Forman
12-19-2008, 5:26 PM
I'll be digging this out today. 23" in 36 hours and more on the way.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020166.jpg

Shop time is consumed with various gift projects.

Dan

Glenn Clabo
12-19-2008, 5:46 PM
Mulled wine...Watching It's A Wonderful Life...cuddling in front of the fireplace...snowball catch with the old Lab...a stroll down the middle of the neighborhood streets before the plows come...sitting on the neighbors front porch watching the kids make a snow man/woman...

It's New England in the winter ya know....

Thomas Knighton
12-19-2008, 5:50 PM
Well, if the humidity stays low enough tonight, I hope to start my saw bench in the morning. Last night the humidity was so high that the ground looked like it had rained overnight (even though it hadn't), and that kept me from working when I wanted to since my "shop" is 100% exposed to the elements. So, that's on the agenda tomorrow. So long as I can make the rough cuts, I can do the rest inside the screened in back porch that will let me do the finer work (does shop stuff count as fine woodworking? ;) ).

Between that and coming inside and enjoying the fact that I need the AC on in December, I should have a busy weekend :)

Tom

Jim Becker
12-19-2008, 8:33 PM
I have my riding lesson tomorrow, but anticipate some shop time this weekend cleaning up from my tack trunk project and getting ready for whatever I decide is next on "the list". I really should attack a few small things that have been hanging before the next big one. And I may need to build a few more tack trunks...a few folks at the barn are drooling, including the owner, and despite my normal disinterest in commissions, this might make sense in a number of ways. We'll see...

'Hope everyone has a great pre-Christmas weekend!

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 8:47 PM
Continuation on the Morris chair interrupted with putting my truck in the shop which I completely and thoroughly hate the inconvenience of!:mad:

Russ Massery
12-19-2008, 9:43 PM
Starting the third piece of the bedroom furniture. The swmbo's dresser is next. Of course after I get the 2" of ice off the driveway.:rolleyes:

Bruce Lundgren
12-20-2008, 5:19 AM
Will be finishing pens and stoppers for gifts. Weather in the mid-upper 70's. Sorry....I know...I suck.
Threw my snow shovel away when we moved from NH (but replaced it with hurricane shutters:().
Happy Holidays from SW Florida!

Don Bullock
12-20-2008, 10:10 AM
After a week of cold rain (50s & 60s) it's sunny here this weekend. LOML and I have a little Christmas shopping to do and relax the rest of the weekend. I don't think I can get the shop (uninsulated garage) warm enough for any shop time.

Russ Boyd
12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Dan, where in eastern washington. That looks a lot like some of our neighborhoods in Spokane.........right Carlos?

Russ Boyd
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Carlos, sorry I didn't get to your message sooner. I was up and down the hill last night. Great fun! Maybe talk sometime? Always interested in other woodworkers nearby. Russ p.s. look whats coming next. 3 storms. Yey!

Carlos Alden
12-21-2008, 9:21 AM
Dan, where in eastern washington. That looks a lot like some of our neighborhoods in Spokane.........right Carlos?

Yep that's what I was thinking! Looks like my neighborhood.

But at least they finally got around to plowing the roads enough, so I could get down the South Hill, to get on 90, so I could get out to Sullivan, to pick up my new Jet bandsaw from Woodcraft!

It's now in the garage (Merry Christmas to me) but I have to wait until things are a bit warmer. The garage-shop is not too bad if things outside are above 15 or so.

Carlos

Jason White
12-21-2008, 8:09 PM
About 2 feet of snow here in metrowest Boston.

Good thing I got my Ariens rebuilt. 30 years old and it runs as good as the day it was built!

Jason

Friday December 19, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Yep, you read that right. We have a blizzard up here. :(:eek:

Woke this morning to about 7-8 inches on the ground. We're in the 10-12 inch area by the weather maps, so we've got more coming. LOML had to go to work [she works in Madison, 55 miles away], so I headed out to use the JD with the snowblower so she could at least get out of the driveway. Finished up about 6:45 and since then there is at least another inch. And the wind is blowing. It's going to be a long day.

LOML did take my 4WD Trailblazer so I feel a little better about her driving. Hopefully, by the time she heads home this afternoon the snow will have stopped. We have another storm coming in Saturday night with a predicted 5-6 inches. That should put us above last years total to date, when we had over 100 inches for the season. :eek::(

So you can get an idea what my weekend is going to be like. Shovel and plow snow and rest in between. These old muscles are going to get a good workout this weekend. I'd go to Vegas to visit my buddy who's wintering there, except they had snow also.:eek:

So, for those of you not in the snow belt, what's on your agenda this weekend? For those of you up this way, I already know what you'll be doing this weekend. :rolleyes:;)

Whatever, you're up to have a good weekend and please be SAFE.

Karl

UPDATE: LOML just walked in the door. Seems the Intersate has only one lane plowed with traffic going about 20 MPH and too many idiots trying to go somewhere. She figured it would have taken her until sometime around noon to get to work, only to turn around and head home.

Mike Goetzke
12-21-2008, 8:32 PM
I get a call about 10AM at work Friday from the wife saying a few panels on my 3-year old vinyl fence were down. We had about 3" of wet snow over night but the fence was fine when I left for work. I told here maybe I could get out by lunch - she said you better come home now (so I did).

Here is my fence:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1882.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1893.jpg

...looks like an overachiever was plowing the street and hit my fence with a violent blow. I found road slush up to 50' from the road curb. Several fences along this highway had damage. I thought I had the worse until Saturday I saw this a few doors down:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1899.jpg

I spent about 6-hours up righting the panels so we could let the dogs out. I put this fence in myself and I can't imagine the work it will take to remove the broken/cracked fence posts (sunk 42" below grade in concrete). My insurance says I have $500 deductible but I also called the village and seems like they may also have insurance - I hope.

Mike

Tommy Emmons
12-21-2008, 9:54 PM
I hate to be the one who has no snow to worry about. I had to take off my long sleve t-shirt under my work shirt to keep from over heating. I had lots of shop time and built the carcas and installed it for storage above my new stationary work bench. Today I just lolled about and relaxed. Tomorrow I am buying some African Mahogony for a partners desk that a client wants built. He wants leather writing panels on the top. Should be an interesting new task to undertake. Take care in the cold and don't over work youselves on the snow clearing. Merry Christmas to all.

Carlos Alden
12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, storms!

I'd be in winter heaven BUT I have to fly to Milwaukee tomorrow and return on Wednesday. Seems like there are a million things conspiring to prevent me from assembling my new Jet Bandsaw. GRrrr...

Carlos