PDA

View Full Version : sheepish bandsaw question

Carlos Alden
12-19-2008, 1:02 AM
Okay:

This is so typical of me with a purchase. On this forum I just posted a great Jet bandsaw deal - the Jet JWBS-14DX 14" bandsaw. The thing is on sale at Woodcraft and has a double rebate, and I bought it. But I've got some second thoughts, and haven't picked it up yet ,and I'm sure I could undo the sale if I needed to.

So let me ask advice here, all ye woody sage people.

I've been trucking along with an older Delta 12" bandsaw, 3/4 H motor. I can resaw fairly well with this, using a 1/2" blade and taking my time. However, I'd like to occasionally resaw bigger pieces, hence my desire for a bigger capacity saw. Right now I've got a bunch of wood that I'd like to slice up, but this will be temporary, and I don't foresee needing to resaw on a regular basis, so I don't think I would need a bigger saw.

The saw I bought is the Jet DX model with a riser block. I know it's not a Minimax or Laguna, or even a large model Grizzly, or a Rikon (I was eyeing the Rikon deluxe 14") but it really seems it will meet my needs for immediate resawing but not have a regular need for it. And the price is so right. If I've been doing well with 3/4 HP I think that 1.25 Hp will be really ample with the correct blade. This saw also has some other features - tension release lever, 4" dust collection chute, micro blade guide adjusters - that seem to make it good.

So waddya all think? Is this a decent saw for the occasional resaw? Of course I'd like a nice big bandsaw and I would feel the difference, but on the other hand I don't like overbuying way beyond my needs, I'm not doing commercial work, my budget really can't do an $800 or more purchase right now, and this will be a huge step up from what I've got. Seems like it will do fine, but I'd like to hear logical contrary opinions as to something I might not be seeing.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2008, 1:12 AM
Carlos,

I have a MM-16.....4.8 hp.....

I think any saw with the right blade can resaw. With reduced hp you will just have to reduce the feedrate and try to always use a sharp blade.

Obviously, the resaw height is determined by the capability of the saw.

You'll have to make that decision. Buying tools for most of us is a negotiated settlement between budget, desire and utility.

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 1:29 AM
Carlos,
I think Creeker' Bill Huber has that saw. It is very similar to my Powermatic PWBS-14 with less accessories and 1/4 less horsepower. I think you will find the Jet to be a great saw but I might wait and see how much xmas money you get and shoot for something far above and beyond your current saw.

Not to say go and get a Minimax but when you upgrade... don't fool around ...upgrade right and get what you want! Aslo not trying to sell my saw either but here is a comparison pic. I would evaluate the price of a 16" or 19" Grizzly and weigh the odds. My friend and Creeker' Pat Germain got one and it is a top notch saw for a great value.

my.02 http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/pm14bsrvu/pm12bslead500.jpg

John Bailey
12-19-2008, 4:03 AM
From your description of how you are going to use the saw, I'd say go buy it. Their are plenty of folks that are very happy with their Jet saws. They are good machines and will serve you well.

John

Steve Kohn
12-19-2008, 7:16 AM
As a previous poster mentioned buying tools is a delicate balancing act between desire, need, budget, etc. No one wants to spend the significant dollars that new tools cost, but all have the need/want to have the tools that will do any job they wish to accomplish.

So in that vein, I keep upgrading. I am now on my 3rd table saw, my 3 jointer, my second planer, etc. You get the idea. Each machine was an upgrade from the previous machine, and cost more money, involved shop upgrades in DC and power, etc.

Don't ignore the used tool market. I have picked up some significant pieces of machinery off Ebay and Craigslist for 50-70% of their new pricing. Do your homework to learn what you want versus whats available. Set a time limit and if you haven't found used by a certain time, then buy new.

My point is that I could have saved significant $$$ if I had just gone out and skipped the steps and gone to the better tools right away. However, when I started this hobby, I didn't have the disposable income I have now. I don't regret going thru the steps, I learned a lot about what to look for, what I needed, and what was out there.

Jim Becker
12-19-2008, 8:15 AM
The Jet machine you bought is a nice tool. While it's not designed for "heavy" resaw work, it will do the job if you take your time and use the correct blade configuration. But if your intention for a band saw is for resawing stock "a lot", then you may want to consider investing in a heavier machine. While the Euro machines are wonderful (I have an MM16 myself that replaced a 14" Jet a number of years ago), there are also value priced machines, such as the Grizzly G0513 series that offer a lot of capability for the money.

Mike Cutler
12-19-2008, 8:37 AM
Carlos

I have an older 14" Jet with a riser setup, Carter guides, and a cobra coil spring. It's not as nice as the one you just bought, Jet really upgraded the 14" saw in the last few years in my opinion.With a 1/2" Woodslicer blade, from highland hardware, or the 1/2" bi-metal Lennox you can resaw just fine. Milling trees is out though.:eek:,;)
The Jet can resaw. It's slower than my 18" Rikon, with a 1" Lennox Tri-Master, but it can do the job.

When I bought my Rikon I had every intent of selling my Jet. It's too nice of a bandsaw to not have around though, so I've kept it. Very functional for a wide array of tasks.

That's a nice saw you purchased. I wouldn't regret it one bit. When the time comes for a larger capacity bandsaw for resawing you'll know it. Worse that can happen is you end up with more than one bandsaw, and that's not a bad thing at all.;)

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2008, 9:21 AM
Hi Carlos, 1.25 HP is a lot for a small bandsaw. A person is about 1/6 of a horsepower, and a large draught horse is 2/3 of a horsepower.

If you've ever used a bow saw to cut firewood, you'll be familiar with how fast a sharp blade powered by a measely 1/6 HP can cut wood. Your bandsaw is 7 times as powerful, imagine what it can do with a sharp blade.

With your bandsaw you will be able to resaw using a sharp blade of the correct type and a more moderate feed rate.

Since you indicated that your resaw needs are temporary, or occasional, your choice of saw is a good one.

The table height on the smaller saws is high, which is better for cutting curves and fine work, which you probably will use your saw for.

Larger saws have lower table height, which is better for resawing and handling heavy thick work pieces.

Have fun with your new saw.

As an aside, I went from a 14" saw to a 17" 2 HP saw to handle the turning blanks for Diann, as well as making my own lumber from short sections of logs. The 14" saw did resaw well, it was just slower than my 17" saw.

Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
12-19-2008, 9:38 AM
I have a 14" PM BS in my shop with a riser. Using a good blade and a good set up it will resaw 8" material no problem. I've made veneer with it that was very consistent in thickness and required only minimal drum sanding for use. I hope to upgrade to a machine some day that has more resaw power, but the 14" does the job well and is not a struggle to use. I suspect the jet will meet your needs and with the correct blades provide great satisfaction.

glenn bradley
12-19-2008, 9:44 AM
It sounds like you have light use as far as a band saw goes. If your 12" has been adequate I would say the Jet will be a welcome upgrade. I use a 10" 1970's Delta for curves on small parts; 1/3HP and it does fine. However, I run a much larger saw for re-saw and thick stock cuts.

You don't mention what the price range is or if shop space is very limited. My 17" has a smaller footprint than the 12" tilt head it replaced and the bare-bones version is around $750.

Carlos Alden
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the great feedback. And no one has called me out for being silly. Sounds like it's a common phenomenon.

I kept thinking about the horsepower, and read and re-read that FWW article by Michael Fortune about bandsawing. He is very clear that it is set-up and technique that makes a good resawing machine, and anything above 1 HP ought to be absolutely fine. Of course, a big old Laguna would be great, but I can't justify it for my limited needs.

My budget is problematic. My very supportive wife has simply said "whatever you need for the shop." So the decision is totally on me, which is good but doesn't make things easier! I'm always looking at what I need versus what I want. For example, I finally bought a side bending heating unit when I finally got tired of using the hunk of 3" pipe and propane torch I'd been using for years.

I'm not scared to spend money when it's necessary (I have several expensive musical instruments that I perform professionally with - I need that level of reliability) but I hate overbuying. Plus, I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive, so making decisions like this often gets quite needlessly complicated - most decisions seem to start with the question "what is the RIGHT choice?" and I have to really work it around to "what do I NEED to do the job I want it to do?"

Thanks again.

Carlos

Chris Padilla
12-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Steve Kohn makes some great points and I've done what he has done EXCEPT, I skipped all the upgrades he did and I went out, broke the bank, and bought stuff, big stuff, that I knew I would one day want/need(?) anyway and that I thought would be quality pieces that would last a very long time.

I did start with a lunchbox planer (Delta 22-580) and a Grizzly 10" TS but after that, I went BIG and picked up a 16" wide combo jointer/planer and then picked up a 20" euro bandsaw. I feel these will last me a VERY VERY long time and I seriously doubt I will wish I had a 20" J/P or 24" BS.

However, I felt very dedicated to woodworking as a hobby and hope to do it a tad more professionally when I retire (although that is a good 20 years away) so I bought for that time.

Not easy decisions for sure....

Bill Huber
12-19-2008, 1:50 PM
I like my Jet 14 inch, but if I was to do it again I would get the Grizzly G0555X.
They are about the same saw but the Grizzly has a fence, upper and lower ball bearings guides, built in light and a release lever. The riser kit is only $59 and again looks just like the Jet.

When you start to add all the cost of a Carter release lever, cool blocks for the guides and buying a fence I just then the Grizzly is a really great buy.

Wilbur Pan
12-19-2008, 3:00 PM
I kept thinking about the horsepower, and read and re-read that FWW article by Michael Fortune about bandsawing. He is very clear that it is set-up and technique that makes a good resawing machine, and anything above 1 HP ought to be absolutely fine.

Exactly.

Another data point: I have an old Walker-Turner 16" bandsaw that has a resaw capacity of 12". Back in the day, it would have been sold with a 1/2 HP motor. Looking at other bandsaws made in the 1940's-50's, similar-sized motors were being used. Obviously, 1/2 HP - 1 HP was good enough back then, so why shouldn't the same be true today?

Bill Huber
12-19-2008, 8:59 PM
Exactly.

Another data point: I have an old Walker-Turner 16" bandsaw that has a resaw capacity of 12". Back in the day, it would have been sold with a 1/2 HP motor. Looking at other bandsaws made in the 1940's-50's, similar-sized motors were being used. Obviously, 1/2 HP - 1 HP was good enough back then, so why shouldn't the same be true today?

The ratings are different now on HP then they were. I had an old Craftsman TS that had a 3/4 motor on it and I ripped all the purple heart I wanted. Now I also have a 6 hp shop vac......

I guess the older horses ate better and didn't eat as much junk food or something so with the new horses you need more of them to do the same job.

Bruce Page
12-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Carlos, that 14” design has been around for decades for good reason. I had an older 1/2 hp Delta with riser and with patience, it did a great job resawing. I say, let the check clear and enjoy, you won’t regret it.

Ps., you can NEVER have too much band saw!