PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite pen kit

Jim Kountz
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok this sounds like one of those "whats the best lathe for under $1000" questions but seriously, I started doing a few pens and so far I have done the "Comfort" and the "Designer" from PSI. Just wanted to see if you guys have any favorites and why.

Thanks!

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I really like the Sierra twist pen and the Sierra click pen. They are fairly easy, one blank and classy pens in my eye. For me these are good sellers. Can't remember off hand but I think I got them at woodcraft.

Mark Hix
12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I like doing sedona/baron kits and comfort kits the most. I never seem to have enough of those made and they are both my best sellers.

My absolute favorite is the one that just sold:D....it changes!

Alan Trout
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I like the Jr. Gent kit for a 2 piece pen and the Atlas, Patriot, Polaris for a one piece pen. I just like the way they both feel in my hands.

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Jim,

My favorites so far are both from CSUSA.....the Aero and the Cigar. I got both in the titanium kits.....elegant....

John Terefenko
12-19-2008, 12:00 AM
This is a great question.

What would be nice if the people that answer tell us where they get these kits also because there are so many out there and some are the same kit but different names. This way if we had a name and place where it can be bought we can go there and look at the kit.:)

Don Carter
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Jim:
Great question. When I carried a pen everyday in my shirt pocket, I liked the smaller lighter pens like the slimline or comfort pens from PSI. In the office, or at the desk I liked the Designer Elite, two part roller ball pen, also from PSI. I have begun to make closed end pens from the comfort and slimline and making the center band from wood with no clip or clip inset. Those are my favorites. PSI has a rep for not having quality plating by some but I have found that if you buy the titanium gold or other finishes they last a long time. I am still using one made from half antler and half cocobolo that is several years old and still looks good. Thanks.
All the best.

David Drickhamer
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I've always enjoyed turning the European round top and a variation of it and Cigar pens. The European involves turning a tenon but that's all part of the fun. The European has been my best seller. Both are available from Rockler. I've also got them from EBay.

Jon Lanier
12-19-2008, 2:36 AM
The one that will sell the best for the most money ;)

Acutally I like in a Rollerball, is the Jr. Gent/Jr. Statesman/Jr. Emperor... They all use the same bushings and are really easy to put together. (All of these can be purchased at CSUSA.)

Personally (outside of money) I think I like the Jr. Statesman for it's looks.

Now for the ballpoint pen styles I'd say my best sellers are Euro's. And I do tend to like them better personally. Although I like the atlas/polaris/partiot as well. (Euros and the Atlas styles can be purchased just about anywhere.)

Dan Forman
12-19-2008, 4:15 AM
I like the El Grande or Churchill fountain pen (though it comes in a rollerball too.). I like the girth, and it's not too heavy. Don't bother posting the cap, it throws the balance way off.

Dan

Bill O'Conner
12-19-2008, 4:46 AM
Sierra click pen from Beartooth. I like a click pen and this one just feels good in your hand and if done right can get two pens out of one blank.
Ernie has a lot of differant plating for them also

Bill

Marvin Hasenak
12-19-2008, 7:44 AM
The Sierra, looks good and easy to make.

Marvin

Keith Christopher
12-19-2008, 8:35 AM
I used to be a big fan of the el grande. But I do like the patriot pen. I see alot of ways to make this pen. The emperors are nice but expensive.

Horst Hohoff
12-19-2008, 9:54 AM
My favourite kit is the CIGAR in all it's versions except copper. I like the heft and you can show a lot of wood. Joint second are the EURO/DESIGNER and the new SATURN from Woodturningz. The Saturn is basicly a slimline with a larger centre ring and a more elegant clip. Seems only a little difference but makes a much more elegant pen compared to the standard slimline.

steven carter
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I do mainly the european from woodcraft. You have to turn a tenon on the top piece, but it is the width of my parting tool, no big deal.

Steve

David Walser
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Jim,

I prefer to buy my kits from Craft Supply USA or Arizona Silhouette. Both are great to work with, can give good advice, and offer great service. If I'm going to spend my time turning a pen, I want the pen to last a good long time. For this reason, I've quit using gold-plated kits and only use titanium or rhodium plated kits.

For ease of making and appearance, I really like the Sierra Elegant Beauty kit in black titanium/gold or black titanium/platinum. The result is a very clean, classy, pen. (As far as I know, this version of the Sierra kit is only available directly from Berea HardWoods: http://bereahardwoods.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BW&Product_Code=Sierra_Elegant_Beauty&Category_Code=pk-sierra.)

For a high-end pen (possible heirloom?), I prefer Jr Gentlemen's II or Jr Statemen's pen kits. (The Jr Statemen's kit is the more decorative -- and expensive -- of the two.) http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Rollerball___Fountain_Pen_Kits___Jr_G entlemen_s_II_Pen_Kit___jr_gent_2_smooth?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Rollerball___Fountain_Pen_Kits___Jr_S tatesman_II_Pen_Kit___jr_statesman?Args=

Of course, if really had a really special piece of wood and wanted to make an heirloom (not just a possible heirloom), I'd use one of CSUSA's limited edition kits, such as this one: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Rollerball___Fountain_Pen_Kits___Limi ted_Edition_Emperor_Pen_Kit___ltd_emporer_pen?Args =

Note: I don't sell my work. The pens I make are just for family and friends. YMMV!

Daniel Heine
12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
My favorites are the long click pen from Craft Supplies for a ball point. This one really shows off your blank, and the kit is top quality. For a roller ball or fountain pen, my favorite is the Jr. Statesman. A really nice looking kit that does not cost a fortune.

Dan

Nancy Laird
12-19-2008, 1:04 PM
I guess I'll be the odd one here. My favorite pen to turn is the flat-top American double-twist. It's a good hefty pen, easy to turn and assemble, and always grabs attention at my shows. They take Parker refills too, which are easy to find when the need arises. Some of the other kits I've seen don't take "standard" refills. I get my pens direct from Berea (which supplies Craft Supplies, by the way).

David Sallee
12-19-2008, 1:16 PM
Well my two favorite (most popular) pens are:
1. Jr Retro from CS, classy and well balanced and a decent price range for my budget as a maker .... big enough to be a "mans pen" but not so big that a women wouldn't want one too .... and sells pretty good to both.
2. Euro from CS, easy to make, also well balanced, variety of metal finishes, easy seller for the low budget customer male or female.

Dave

Brandon Powell
12-19-2008, 1:33 PM
I like the Wall Street II, elegant Blk Titanium and gold kit. It looks really classy and gets lots of attention from everyone. But after looking at the Berea website, isn't it the same as the Sierra elegant? If so, I may be ordering from there as they are about $9.00 cheaper than Woodcraft.

Montgomery Scott
12-19-2008, 2:36 PM
I turned lots of different kits and found that I like the CSUSA Emperor the best for its size, heft and elegant design. It's also large enough to show off the wood better.

http://a965.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/24/l_7ccdd55ad148d1bcfaa2808094ece8d4.jpg

Graham Sugar
12-20-2008, 5:30 AM
The sierra click is my favorite sells well bur can be a bit hard to get here