PDA

View Full Version : TS Fence width?

Jamie Hargrave
12-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Ok, I have a serious dilemma here!! I have a 52" unifence that came with my used unisaw, but only a single car garage to put it in. The problem with this is that if I set up the saw to cut lengthwise down the garage, I only have about 2ft to squeeze past the end of the fence. So, I'm thinking of cutting it down. On my previous saw I had a 30" fence and never used it to cut the full width available. Do I need the 52"... does anyone, and if so, for what. I really don't want to cut the rail and the extention table down and then in a couple of months wish that I hadn't!

Thanks,
Jamie

Steve Rozmiarek
12-19-2008, 1:15 AM
Jamie, I rarely used mine, but when you need that much capacity, it really speeds the process up. Sheet goods are the only thing I used it for. My first saw had a 30 something Bies, and there where times that it was not enough. That being said though, sounds a little tight in your shop, and it may make sense for you to downsize. Until I got a 52", I was always able to do a work around, but they do take longer.

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2008, 7:36 AM
I have two 52's in the shop, and I use the extra very seldom, but I have a lot of room. It can be done with out the length of course, its just a little harder. I have a Delta contractor saw in my mobile shop with a Unifence that I have been considering cutting down so I can get around it in the trailor, but like you I hate to cut it down.

Maybe you can cut a hole in the wall and build a box outside to cover it, and when you don't need it roll the 52"end into the wall?

I once had a planer on rollers so I could plane long stock in a short garage without opening the door in the winter. :)

Jamie Hargrave
12-19-2008, 7:56 AM
I've just been trying to figure out what I would need a 52" fence for... if it is sheet goods I generally get them cut down to size where I buy them on a panel saw, or cut them with a skilsaw. Unfortunately I can't cut a hole in the wall... my neighbor might get a little upset... I have a townhouse!

Matt Roth
12-19-2008, 8:22 AM
Jamie,

I have a 30" rail that I'd trade you! I've been wanting to stretch mine.

Ok, I have a serious dilemma here!! I have a 52" unifence that came with my used unisaw, but only a single car garage to put it in. The problem with this is that if I set up the saw to cut lengthwise down the garage, I only have about 2ft to squeeze past the end of the fence. So, I'm thinking of cutting it down. On my previous saw I had a 30" fence and never used it to cut the full width available. Do I need the 52"... does anyone, and if so, for what. I really don't want to cut the rail and the extention table down and then in a couple of months wish that I hadn't!

Thanks,
Jamie

Maurice Ungaro
12-19-2008, 8:36 AM
Jamie, it comes in real handy for adding a router on the extension. Also, you may want to try getting the mobile base for that unit. I got one for mine and I simply wheel it 90 degrees against a wall to allow SWMBO to park HER car in MY shop. :rolleyes:

Ray Phillips
12-19-2008, 9:05 AM
If I were in your shoes I would not cut my rails. I am a big guy and have a small shop. I find that two feet between the rail and wall is sufficient room to get around. Like others have said put your saw on a mobile stand and that will give you more options for location of your saw. Just my .02

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-19-2008, 9:31 AM
Jamie - I have the same dilemna. not a lot of space, but 52" rails. I've considered cutting them shorter, but I know I'd eventaully regret it. I made an extension table to take up all the space and use that for quite a few things.

I'm considering a mobile base so I can move it "out of the way" when I need to get around, and move it into place when I need to make longer cuts.

Chip Lindley
12-19-2008, 9:39 AM
Why not shop for a 30" rail on eBay or Craigslist!! Save your long rail for the long run, and find a short rail for the short term!