PDA

View Full Version : drill press value

Jay Yoder
12-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Good evening all. I seem to be toying with idea of replacing my C'man 12" bench top with a full capacity drill press. I love the Steel city, but afraid it is a bit rich for my blood. I would guess i have 400 or less to spend. The Local woodcraft has the Delta 17-950L on sale for 379. I also have looked at the Ridgid and grizzly drill presses too. I have been scouring the craigslists locally, but have found 2 close to me in the last 4 months. What is up with that? I need reliability and the ability to slow down to say 200rpm or less. Any suggestions? anyone out there itching to upgrade? Thanks.

Mark Boyette
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Actually just bought a JET JDP-17MF floor model for $250 off craigslist about two weeks ago. Sells for around $500 new and this one has almost no use on it. Keep on the craiglist and you should come up with something. Of course if you buy one new the deal on craigslist will be there the next day.
I did look into the rigid and was seriously considering that until I found the Jet.
We have brand new 17" Delta at work but not all that impressed with it. The track on the side that raises/lowers the base bend pretty easily. We have a replacement ordered.
Mark.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-19-2008, 1:29 AM
Jay, I needed a drill press a while bach, to finish a project, and the only one locally that I could find was the Ridgid. It has turned out to be a good press! The price is great too. No runout, I like the fit and finish, and did I mention the price? Really good built in work light too. I don't regret "settling".

Dewey Torres
12-19-2008, 1:43 AM
I might second what Mark said:

On many fronts as the economy is terrible some folks who bought new homes and set up shop sadly are having to let nice tools go at rock bottom prices.

CL is 'iffy' at best depending on where you live but try and give a good look as you may want to wait for new tools anyway at this point to snatch up the after xmas sales. You could check out CL in the meantime and get a feel for comaprison.

Just an idea.

Larry Edgerton
12-19-2008, 7:23 AM
I have two Walker Turners, one with a really cool old aftermarket speed control, and a huge one with a threading setup and a fixed 3'x4'base, reversable too. I paid $100 for the regular one and $250 for the one with threading capabilitys. Each of them are so much better than what is commonly available that there is no comparison, and they have character.

I also have a Elefant, Tiawan floor model that I am not sure why I keep around, I need to sell it. Where are you?

Anyway..... I would watch fleebay for a deal on a heavyweight, that is where I found both of mine. Drill presses have not improved in maybe a 100 years, in fact they have gone the other way by and large. There are some good ones, but the cost is too high to justify compared to a old one that just needs a little cleanup.

I just looked where you are from. With industry closing down right and left in the rust belt you should be able to find an old industrial model within a 100 mile circle, no problem.

Bob Aquino
12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Skip the Taiwanese/Chinese stuff and get something older and American made. I picked up a Clausing 15" VS machine for less than 300 off the bay about 4 months ago. Had to drive 3 hours to get it but that wasnt too bad in my book.

Machines do come up for sale. If you have some mechanical skills you could have a very nice industrial rated machine for less than what some of this new stuff is going for. Mosey on over to owwm.org and look in the BOYD forum (bring out your dead). I would say there are presses up for sale on the order of one or two a week. Be patient, you have one to keep you going till you find its replacement.

Jay Yoder
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I have heard alot of good things about the Ridgid for the price. i may just sit for a bit and see what happens. Is it a rare thing to want speed lower than 300? currently my bench top's lowest is 500. I figure it is nice to go lower to spin the larger diameter bits.