PDA

View Full Version : Removing permanent maker from oak furniture

Dan Mages
12-18-2008, 10:12 PM
LOML and I found a really cool kids roll top desk at the local salvation army store. We will be giving it to our "nieces" (daughters of our friend) for Hannukah. Unfortunately, the previous owner's name is inscribed on the back of the chair in black permanent marker. I tried Goo Gone, but with no luck. Any thoughts on how to remove it without having to refinish the chair?

Thanks,

Dan

Roger Bell
12-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Denatured alcohol removes sharpie markings from most stuff. I do not know if all "permanent markers" have the same ink as Sharpie. Hopefully the finish on your oak is varnish or lacquer and not shellac.

If the finish is shellac, the alcohol with remove the finish too. The finish is probably not shellac if the piece is the typically factory made item. Test the alcohol on an underneath spot before you go all-out.

Tom Wilson66
12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I have had some luck removing permanent marker using alcohol. If the finish is shellac, this will remove the finish also, so try an inconspicuous spot (the bottom of the seat, maybe) to see what the reaction of the finish is. The other thing is to strip the finish and apply a new one:eek:

Steve Southwood
12-19-2008, 8:54 AM
You cab take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker. When you wipe of f the dry marker the permanent will come off with it. Not sure what it will do to the finish. We do this on dry erase boards all the time, when someone uses the wrong marker.

Dan Mages
12-19-2008, 8:17 PM
I will try alcohol first. Thanks!!

Dan

Chris Kennedy
12-20-2008, 6:32 AM
You might also try the "Magic Eraser" (under the Mr. Clean brand, I think). Our son made a mural on one of the walls and it removed it without damaging the paint.

Bryan Berguson
12-20-2008, 8:56 AM
"Wet Ones" work great for removing permanent marker from hands. It doesn't take most of it off, it takes it all off. No idea how they'd work for furniture but they work great on skin.

Bryan