View Full Version : finishing with antique oil?

Wally Wenzel
12-18-2008, 9:01 PM
I just started to use antique oil for finishing and think i like it, have been reading on here that some are buffing it. My question is what do you buff with do you use any of the compounds or just a plain buff wheel.
Thanks, Wally

Richard Madison
12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Wally,
Have been using some that I got from my friend Robert (he of the trick knee), and like it on some woods. After giving it a few days to fully cure, I buff it with the white stuff only. Others with more experience with AO will probably follow here with more info.

Roger Bell
12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I use MW Antique Oil for most of my turnings that are to be buffed out. It is an oil varnish mix that is a bit heavy on the oil...which I like. I allow at least a week for the finish to cure before buffing. Preferably longer.

I use the Beall system, which consists of three buffing wheels of differing characters to each buff (I don't know the exact make-up of each buff). One is charged with tripoli, the second with white diamond, and the third with carnuba wax. Using each in series produces a very nice finished effect.

If I do not want a "buffed" effect, (such as for simple tool handles) I will use an oil with no varnish added, such a Mahoney's, and leave it at that with no buffing. Or I might use just a beeswax with rag-applied friction, (such as for simple kitchen items that will revert to bare wood anyway) where I want a short-term shiny "presentation".

Frank Kobilsek
12-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Wally

MW Anitque oil is my favorite finish - Wipe it on, wait a few mintues you'll start to see dry spots then wipe some more on with a new towel. Keep repeating this until you think you are about to have a sticky mess. Then damped a towel with Mineral spirits and a little more AO and wipe it one last time. Depending on himidity this process takes 30 to 45 minutes. Over the next few hours rub the piece again with a dry towel to rub out any finish that 'sweats' back out of the wood.

Then a few days to a few weeks later buff on the Beall system. Never use the white diamond on dark or open pored woods. On dyed pieces I skip the tripoli.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2008, 2:09 PM
Frank pretty much hit the nail on the head. I use about 3 coats of Antique oil. Doing exactly what Frank said. I wait generally a couple of weeks before buffing. Like Frank said don't use the white diamond on dark or open pore woods.