PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworking motorcyclists?

Aaron Berk
12-18-2008, 8:44 PM
I've started sharing my wood shop with an 83 Shadow VT750 project. I've been forced to put off the sawdust while I cover any flat surface with dismantled Honda parts. I'd been putting off this bike project for awhile because I didn't want to lose any shop time. Now I'm in the mood to get the bike up and running for the upcoming yr. So grease fuel and antifreeze are filling the shop, and my dust collector gets ready for a nice long hiatus.

This is my first Honda project so I'm feeling out SMC for any prospective experienced help/influence.

Aaron

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2008, 9:06 PM
I am a Shadow 750 Spirit rider myself. My 1st bike to be shaft drive. I love this thing!!!

David Christopher
12-18-2008, 9:28 PM
I also share machanic and wood shop, i normally have dust on my bike and grease on my wood but love both and will put up with the mess

Paul Geer
12-18-2008, 9:30 PM
1969 Honda CL350, blue. Bought it used, had it since I was a teen, runs great.

Aaron Berk
12-18-2008, 9:42 PM
My first shaft drive also, although I rode my brother's shaft drive guzzi sport quite a bit. I liked the power response on the guzzi, throttling up the whole bike would lurch slightly to the ...left I think. Felt like allot of power, I think it was an 1100.
My last bike was a 98 Triumph 955 Dayton, 3 cylinder 6spd rocket:D now that was a fun bike.

I've stuck a pic in here to show you my current plight

Larry Edgerton
12-18-2008, 9:44 PM
I recently gave up streebikes because of too many close calls with cell phone idiots. After 35 years of riding I was feeling like it was my turn, so I sold my GT1200. I sold my KTM EXC 450 last year because I am just getting too old for that, and not smart enough to slow down. I have a DRZ250 in the shop now, all that is left. Pathetic little bike but what an old guy should be riding I guess. I want a BMW 800GS, but they want too much money, so we are at a stalemate.

Barry Richardson
12-18-2008, 9:52 PM
As a matter of fact, yes! I just got this bike about a month ago. I saved all my income from woodworking comissions and craft shows for the last year, and pulled the trigger. Suzuki DR650. Been loving it.:D But for now I have to keep it in my wood shop:(

Aaron Berk
12-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I recently gave up streebikes because of too many close calls with cell phone idiots. After 35 years of riding I was feeling like it was my turn, so I sold my GT1200. I sold my KTM EXC 450 last year because I am just getting too old for that, and not smart enough to slow down. I have a DRZ250 in the shop now, all that is left. Pathetic little bike but what an old guy should be riding I guess. I want a BMW 800GS, but they want too much money, so we are at a stalemate.

Old guys and beemers go hand in hand:D
My dad rides 2 BMWs, ones a long haul cruiser with a 20 gal tank, & dual plugs. An R90S I think, the other is a custom home built chopper with quarter elliptical front spring, black walnut seat, and suicide shift. Dads a few yrs short of 60 I think.

Karl Brogger
12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I've had tons of bikes, but not that many street bikes.

a 96' CBR600F3, 97' GSXR750, 98 GSXR 750, and now a WR250X

My old GSXR
http://a905.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_f679492490bcd1a538e763333be98f20.jpg

and the newest bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWDAsmQtIsQ&feature=channel_page

Peter Lyon
12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Count me in with a 2004 BMW R1200C.

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok...so I'll post a pic of my ride since other pics are getting posted.

This is bike #18 for me, most of the bikes came as I was growing up. I'm back on a bike again after 25 years of not riding a bike. If you ride a bike, take the Motorclcye Safety course, you WILL learn a lot...about you AND about your bike.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/2007-Honda-Shadow-750C2-Spirit-DSCF.jpg

David H. Mitchell
12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
No photos. We love biking, Honda Goldwing Trike.

Dave :)

Joe Chritz
12-19-2008, 2:40 AM
I got paid to ride all last summer. Unfortunately the unit I was on has been disbanded and now the motors are just used for parades about twice a year.

At least I got a really cool set of boots out of the deal. :cool:

Joe

Scott Long
12-19-2008, 9:33 AM
I have a 2003 Yamaha V-star 1100 Siverado which you can't get me and the loml off of, and I have a 1975 Yamaha XS650 I really riding but the loml does not. I am going to rebuild it and let her learn on that one before we go and buy her a newer bike.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2008, 9:34 AM
As you can tell from my avatar, I own a 1976 BMW R90/6 that's basic personal transportation for me.

This is my second R90/6, first one was destroyed when I was rear-ended by an SUV, I could have cried, the bike was at 298,000 miles.

It took me a year to find another R90/6.

I also own a 1975 Norton Commando, I'm the original owner.

The garage also holds my 1930 James, 500cc single, tank side shift, acetylene lighting.

Diann's 1977 R60/7 BMW is also in there.

As Aaron said "Old guys (and gals) and Beemers go hand in hand".

regards, Rod.

Rich Stewart
12-19-2008, 10:07 AM
TWENTY GALLON TANK!!??? Talk about Iron butt. A guy at work here has a BMW with a 12 gallon tank. Says he can ride 8 hours. I can ride for 1.5 hours and I need, and I mean NEED, to get off it for a while. I have a 2004 Shadow 1100. Anybody ever find a good seat for one? Tried a gel, but made it hurt worse.

Craig D Peltier
12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Heres mine.Its a Honda VTX 1300 C , body has been modified alot. There is a 220 rear tire kit installed.Which changed the fender, swing arm, struts. Plus theres a bigger front tire and matching rims an brake disc.
Its not fast but looks good and it rumbles.
I dont ride much due to weather but really relaxes me when out.

Theres alos this old post of Creekers rides
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61829

Joe Cunningham
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Yup,
2000 Kawasaki W650 (the short-lived Bonneville clone)
2001 Ducati M750

The Kawi gets a lot less attention since I got the monster this past summer. I've kicked around the idea of getting an older honda twin or CB550 to work on, but discovered wood working while I was searching for the perfect project bike...and, the bike ideas have been put on the shelf.

Mac McQuinn
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I've been a M/Clist for 39 years and to me it's just a another case of working with your hands. Several restorations on european bikes through the years although I'm currently riding a Super Motarded 06 Suzuki DR650 due to a back injury.

Mac

Frank Guerin
12-19-2008, 6:31 PM
When they bring back the rigid pan heads with a springer front end I'll ride again. That is if I can get my leg over it, the kidneys hold up and I can get someone to kick start it for me. Untill then I'll wait untill I hit the lottery and probably buy a really soft ride.

Kurt Strandberg
12-19-2008, 6:51 PM
We have put 85,000 miles on our 2001 Honda Goldwing GL1800, and we travel and camp in a Aspen Classic camper.

Allot of my other interest are in my shop, currently I am building a smoker out of an old fridge also

Karl Brogger
12-19-2008, 7:26 PM
BMW's aren't just for the old folks. My buddy is 23, he rides a Dakar Edition GS650. Its a pretty sweet bike.

The craziest thing I think I've done on a motorcycle was riding my GSXR from home in Minnesota, to Knoxville TN. Just shy of 1k miles, in less than 13 hours. Thats a total average of 77mph! I did an entire tank in Illinois never dropping below 115mph, a good portion of the time on that tank I was doing 125mph. I'll never do that again, I'm lucky I didn't end up in the clink. That bike usually got a bit less than 50mpg, I average 32 over the course of that trip.:D

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2008, 10:03 PM
TWENTY GALLON TANK!!??? Talk about Iron butt. A guy at work here has a BMW with a 12 gallon tank. Says he can ride 8 hours. I can ride for 1.5 hours and I need, and I mean NEED, to get off it for a while. I have a 2004 Shadow 1100. Anybody ever find a good seat for one? Tried a gel, but made it hurt worse.

Yes....what you need is a Mustang Seat for the Shadow 1100. Your ride time comfy will be greatly extended.

Larry Edgerton
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I gave a friend of mine a mint GL500 Silverwing a few years ago, and he called last night to say he was moving out of state for work, and wanted to give it back.

So..... I will be on the street next year again. I put about 40k on that bike and after it was gone I found I missed it, and still do. It is the straingest motorcycle that I have ever owned, is like riding a marshmellow, but it provided many great days in the oh so comfortable saddle. My buddies all refered to it as "The Couch" and as they got tired on long rides on their misc. rides, they all wanted a spell on "The Couch". That bike gave me the opportunity to ride so many different bikes, it was worth it just for that alone. I did more over 1000 mile days on that bike than any other.

I am really excited about this! The worst performing bike I have ever owned, and I am excited about it? One other thing, it is the only street bike that I have ever owned that my wife felt comfortable on. This is a good point. No matter how slow I rode my fast bikes she was never comfortable, and neither was I because I was too stiff trying not to freak her out.

But this morning it is -8 degrees, so it will have to wait.....

james mcgrew
12-20-2008, 12:48 PM
if i did not have two cnc machines i would probably ride more!!

jim

Bob Rufener
12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
I bought my '89 Honda Pacific Coast about 12 years ago. It was 7 years old and had 8K miles on it. It now has 42K and runs great. I've taken a couple of long trips to Oklahoma and to Glacier Park/Yellowstone. It isn't possible to describe driving through those parks on a beautiful summer day riding a bike. Not a typical bike in appearance (some refer to it as an ice box on wheels or the tupperware bike) but it has great storage, virtually no maintenance and is easy to handle. God willing, I'll be driving it for another 12 years.

Thomas Bank
12-22-2008, 3:09 PM
Kawasaki VN800 here. I do my best to keep the grease and wood separated - in the workshop the automotive hobbies are downstairs and the woodshop is upstairs.

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2008, 7:39 AM
Hello,

Any woodworking motorcyclists?
Not for many a year.
IIRC, it was ~ 1976 when I went on a riding hiatus.
You never really "stop", just take extended breaks in between rides.

My wife said I can get another MC the day she gets a live in boyfriend.

I told her as long as the guy cuts the grass & takes out the garbage,,,, :D

That brought the dreaded "look".

But - being stupid and not knowing when to shut up, I followed up with, "Hey, in baseball they bring in a reliever in the 7th inning"... :D

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I bought my '89 Honda Pacific Coast about 12 years ago. It was 7 years old and had 8K miles on it. It now has 42K and runs great. I've taken a couple of long trips to Oklahoma and to Glacier Park/Yellowstone. It isn't possible to describe driving through those parks on a beautiful summer day riding a bike. Not a typical bike in appearance (some refer to it as an ice box on wheels or the tupperware bike) but it has great storage, virtually no maintenance and is easy to handle. God willing, I'll be driving it for another 12 years.

There was a time I was looking for one of those. I think they are beautiful as well as practical. Hard to find too.....

Have you seen what they are bringing? I am not alone.

Paul Ryan
12-23-2008, 4:33 PM
My 05 Road King Classic. Has 14K on it, I bought it new. This is a picture from the summer. It is a little too cold and the roads don't appove of motorcycling now. I also have a 72 Honda CB350 hiding in the shed. I don't know what to do with it.

james mcgrew
12-23-2008, 5:03 PM
a cb350 was and is a fine motorcycle, i have a friend in ballentine sc who specializes in trading those hondas "just a hobby motors"

it is facinating how many ct70 motorcycles are still running

jim

Rick Moyer
12-23-2008, 7:19 PM
here's mine. Unfortunately lately golf has won out over motorcycle. I wish I had more time in the summer to do both. My last bike did a trip up to and around Nova Scotia, this one has been to Sturgis, Canada, and most of the Northeast, but not in the last few years.
There are lots of great bikes made today but I like the fact that this one is rather unique as a six-cylinder, and is everything I would want it to be.

Paul Ryan
12-23-2008, 7:44 PM
The cb350 runs ok. When it is cold only the right cylider fires. Once it gets warm then the left comes in. I cleaned the carbs when I got it but I think that needs to be done again. The starter is also locked up so it has to be kick started. That isn't that big of a deal unless it hasn't run in months. In order to get it started then I have to spray carb spray into the cylinder repetadly to get it running. But I am saving it for my son to learn on once he gets old enough. He is only 15 months now so I have a while to wait.

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2008, 8:27 PM
here's mine. Unfortunately lately golf has won out over motorcycle. I wish I had more time in the summer to do both. My last bike did a trip up to and around Nova Scotia, this one has been to Sturgis, Canada, and most of the Northeast, but not in the last few years.
There are lots of great bikes made today but I like the fact that this one is rather unique as a six-cylinder, and is everything I would want it to be.

Ah Rick...... A beaut of a Valk.!!!!! Very nice machines and a beauty in their own right.

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2008, 8:30 PM
a cb350 was and is a fine motorcycle, i have a friend in ballentine sc who specializes in trading those hondas "just a hobby motors"

it is facinating how many ct70 motorcycles are still running

jim

Correct.!!! CB350 is a great machine!!! I used to have and ride a CL350 (Street/Trail) that was heavy as lead, but had power to spare. It was much like this one right here. (http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonly/museum/images/b49/classjan_600.jpg)

BTW, my dad bought me a brand new Honda MiniTrail 50 when I was 6 years old. I rode that thing every where and I sold it, still running and in very fine shape when I was 17 years old. Even then, it still had power to do wheelies and carry my lead-butt down the road at a decent clip. ;)

Heather Thompson
12-23-2008, 9:09 PM
My first bike was a Hodaka Super Rat, great bike for playing in the dirt. When I was 21, I picked up a sweet 78 Suzuki GS750E, got hit the first summer:(. A friend helped me get it upstairs into my third floor apartment where I did a frame off restoration, it was a great winter project, rode it solo the next summer to Yosemite National Park. That trip kept a smile on my face that lead me to do the same trip five years in a row. Then I added a BMW R65LS, had a run in with a deer, both the deer and the bike were DOA. A guy picked me and the bike up and took us to Springfield MO where I bought a BMW R100RS and rode home, between the Suzuki and the first BMW I picked up a 75 RD350B, that bike is setup for rode racing (lots of fun).

Heather

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Had a Harley a few years back, loved it and there is nothing like it but when I almost got ran over by stupid people on the road I sold it. I have had my eye on a Wing for some time now and might fancy one in the future!!